Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my Giulia got hit by a small rock on the highway and the rock chipped away a small section of paint. I'm now looking at either getting a 3m clear bra or a ceramic coating. I've heard mixed reviews on both of these. For example I've heard that the clear bra will yellow over time. I'm not sure what people are doing and I am looking for some advice. What do you recommend? And if you live in the Rhode Island area any places you would recommend?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think ceramic coating as a chip protector is marketing myth. Think about it - the coating is microns thin, the same thickness as a coat of wax, so how could it protect against flying rocks? A clear paint protection bra would be much more effective. I can't speak to yellowing but I believe paint protection films can be removed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ceramic will not prevent chips. It will help to keep the car clean and looking good.

You need a type of clear wrap like the 3M you mentioned. I used Xpel. There is also another brand called Suntek. They used to yellow but now they do not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I was a little worried about the yellowing but it looks like xpel offers a warranty for 10 years that covers yellowing. I'll go shop around for some quotes.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah I think yellowing for the 3m and xpel films at least is a thing of the past. They fixed the glue formulations a while back. They are removable and if they do discolor you have a warranty, another reason to go to a reputable shop if you have to make a claim.

The ceramic coating doesn’t help with rock chips but more like a semi-permanent wax, no it’s not a wax though, that helps prevent oxidation of the paint and etching from contaminates like bird bombs and other things. It also keeps the car cleaner and easier to clean off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
First get Dr Color Chip to repair the stone chip.

Then find the best professional detailer in your area to install the PPF and top with nano ceramic coating. They’ll do all the necessary paint prep, correction, UV cure, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i put xpel ultimate on my previous porsche. thought it was a good idea as the car was black and i was bothered by any mark or nick that showed up.paid about $2k to coat just the front. wasnt worth it. while the car was silky smooth and easy to clean, i was still able to find small scratches in the film and new rock chips still continued to appear. while the chips were small, and maybe they would have been larger without the film, it wasn't worth the cost. the self healing properties were mediocre at best, as only the faintest lines will disappear. needless to say, having xpel did not affect my resale in anyway.

not sure if other films offer different or better protection, but i was not impressed with my xpel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts