Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed the past couple of washes of my '16 Rosso Competizione Ti that, in addition to the bumpers continuing to change to a different color than the rest of the car, there are white spots on the paint surface that look like maybe clearcoat failure.

I first noticed it a few months back, but this past time I washed my car I noticed it's gotten worse. I'm guessing that it's from environmental contaminants, but not sure if there's anything I can do about it. It's about to go in for its first service in a month or so, so I'll ask at the dealer. But in the meantime, anyone else experience anything like this???

The car spends most of its life outside, my house is by the beach, but I work in LA, so it sees both ocean dampness at night and dry dirtiness during the day. I've had the car about 10 months. Anyway, here are the pics, the first two are the hood, the last is the top fo the bumper (had to compress them down to upload):

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Almost looks like some kind of pitting, maybe being caused by the salty moisture in the air since you're by the beach. Just a guess though. Do you wax the car often? My Ti sport is vesuvio gray and I've had it about a year. I live in Denver where dirt on the roads is terrible and the mag chloride in the winter can absolutely destroy paint. But I wash the car at least every other week and do a full wax at least every other wash and the pain is holding up great. Short of doing full xpel or ceramic coating, putting a good layer of way down really helps protect the paint in my experience.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Are you sure it’s not water spots i.e. mineral despots. Especially because you live by the ocean. They can stick to paint, and even more so to some ceramic coatings, to the point you think it’s part of the paint and if left long enough etch the paint. It probably couldn’t hurt to try an automotive water spot remover...

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Heavy_...MIlbaH66jy2wIVkFqGCh054AYfEAQYASABEgLcyfD_BwE

Also might want to contact a local detailer to see if they have experience with these problems in your locale.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would try claying it (cheap and easy). If that fails it's time to break out a random orbiter polisher, yellow pad and Menzerna 400....IMHO. (good for interior trim too)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would also recommend trying a clay bar first.

If that does not work see a professional detailer to get another opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Clay bar'd a little spot on the rear bumper. It worked. Never seen paint like that before. Almost looked like the imperfection was under the clear. Anyway, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, with where you are get a nice layer of was on that baby, maybe two; after a full clay bar treatment though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts