Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ive had my Giulia since Feb, Manufacture date March 2017. Today i was washing my car when i noticed that they are about 4 cracks running horizontally right in below on the driver side headlight . They are about 2-3 inches in length and about 1/4 of an inch apart. Have not hit anything myself, will this be considered a paint defect of if i take it in ill just be blamed for it, im in Los Angeles for all my local dealers and Chrysler/Fiat dealers not a dedicated Alfa Romeo dealer . Vehicle is a lease . Sorry about the lack of pictures, i tried to take some but the cracks dont come out visible in the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Finally got it under the right light. Shy your eyes away from the water spots, bought all the stuff to polish and seal the paint but havent had time to get it done. Paint condition wasn't the best when vehicle was obtained. Dealer must of never heard of the grit guards or the two bucket wash method.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Hello, ive had my Giulia since Feb, Manufacture date March 2017. Today i was washing my car when i noticed that they are about 4 cracks running horizontally right in below on the driver side headlight . They are about 2-3 inches in length and about 1/4 of an inch apart. Have not hit anything myself, will this be considered a paint defect of if i take it in ill just be blamed for it, im in Los Angeles for all my local dealers and Chrysler/Fiat dealers not a dedicated Alfa Romeo dealer . Vehicle is a lease . Sorry about the lack of pictures, i tried to take some but the cracks dont come out visible in the picture.
I don't know how leases work but if they are getting the vehicle back I am sure they don't want it back with cracking paint. They should be able to easily tell a factory defect vs a scratch or impact fracture. If they say oh that is an impact fracture tell them to explain how they arrive at that conclusion and then call Alfa USA. You could also stop by a body shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That i couldn't tell you, but this looks like its going to keep cracking till it starts flaking off. Sucks 3 months in and this. I already have the feeling dealer won't be much help i've been to both nearest ones when i was leasing a Fiat and have had bad experiences at both.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
That i couldn't tell you, but this looks like its going to keep cracking till it starts flaking off. Sucks 3 months in and this. I already have the feeling dealer won't be much help i've been to both nearest ones when i was leasing a Fiat and have had bad experiences at both.
Hi emiliog87,

I'm sorry to see that you have a concern with the paint on your Giulia. Please private message us with your VIN and mileage so that we can take a closer look at this.

Darlene
Alfa Romeo Social Care Specialist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Agree it looks like it was from an impact, from where or who is irrelevant, it’s there and you’re not likely to get anywhere with warranty, but it’s worth a shot I suppose...as long as they don’t put your car on restriction due to the damage.
Personally I’d see if you can have a 3m or similar clear wrap installed, might stop the cracks and add some protection for the future.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Hello, ive had my Giulia since Feb, Manufacture date March 2017. Today i was washing my car when i noticed that they are about 4 cracks running horizontally right in below on the driver side headlight . They are about 2-3 inches in length and about 1/4 of an inch apart. Have not hit anything myself, will this be considered a paint defect of if i take it in ill just be blamed for it, im in Los Angeles for all my local dealers and Chrysler/Fiat dealers not a dedicated Alfa Romeo dealer . Vehicle is a lease . Sorry about the lack of pictures, i tried to take some but the cracks dont come out visible in the picture.
Hello emiliog87,

We're sorry to hear about the cracks you're experiencing. If you do decide you'd like to visit your dealer, let us know. We can get this over to a Case Specialist who'll work with you and the dealer toward a solution.

Jasmine
Alfa Romeo Social Specialist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Bummer dude. Painted bumpers suck from a wear and tear perspective. But I agree with the others who say this looks like impact damage. It might have even been impacted prior to you buying the car and then poorly repaired by your selling dealer without a buyer's disclosure. But it looks like impact damage nonetheless, which means I don't think you'll qualify for any sort of repair under the new vehicle limited warranty. If it really bothers you, then consider getting the bumper resprayed at a highly qualified independent collision repair shop and NOT your dealer's body shop. You'll be paying out of pocket for this and it might cost you $600-$800 or possibly even more (there is so much variability from one market to the next and I don't know LA prices). Or just live with it knowing that additional wear and tear is likely and see whether or not you get dinged for it at the inspection prior to lease turn in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
Yeah this sucks. And I don't think you will get much help from the dealer, especially if they know they covered it up. Find a good body shop and see how much it will be. Do you have comprehensive on you insurance? I know it covers glass. Not sure about bumper hits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Dealer must of never heard of the grit guards or the two bucket wash method.
You're describing 99.99% of dealers out there. Of the remaining 0.01% that have heard of it, maybe less than half are willing to do so for their customers. My sales dealer charges $250 for a 1 hour detail that includes scrubbing the paintwork with a stiff bristle brush on the end of a 5 foot long handle. Needless to say, if you want your paint work cared for in the best possible way, you need to seek out a professional detailer. The professional detailing shop even provided me with a hang tag for the rearview mirror that says in no uncertain terms "DO NOT WASH" so that the porters at the dealership don't trash your car as part of their free courtesy car wash when you take your car in for routine service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have already bought the items for a full paint detail but know with this current paint damage im curious about the clearcoat thickness and how stong or weak the paint is . Obviously with polishing you always want to start with the least abrasive method. Planning to start with meguairs 103 and a rupes finishing pad see how much of the swirl marks and water spot come off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Cannot use these two words enough - foam cannon.

Just got my Giulia Q4 a couple of months ago, trying to to as little "scrubbing" as possible, which means keeping up with the non-touch foam cannon and high-pressure water rinse. Heck, I might even splurge on a air-blast dryer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
You're describing 99.99% of dealers out there. Of the remaining 0.01% that have heard of it, maybe less than half are willing to do so for their customers. My sales dealer charges $250 for a 1 hour detail that includes scrubbing the paintwork with a stiff bristle brush on the end of a 5 foot long handle. Needless to say, if you want your paint work cared for in the best possible way, you need to seek out a professional detailer. The professional detailing shop even provided me with a hang tag for the rearview mirror that says in no uncertain terms "DO NOT WASH" so that the porters at the dealership don't trash your car as part of their free courtesy car wash when you take your car in for routine service.

I use a modified one bucket method where noting touches the car and ends up back on the car.

I rinse the car off then foam cannon the car, use the left over soap in the cannon tank to foam up a bucket of a dozen or so wet microfiber wash mitts and use those to scrub the car down. I use one mitt per small area and turn it over, so one for the roof, flip it and do the windshield and windows, then toss it the DONE bucket and pick up another for doors, another for hood, one each for wheels etc. Wash mitts are cheap, especially the XL Amazon ones, so you basically never are putting dirt back on the car. The two bucket method is fine and all but you are always taking a used dirty mitt and trying to clean it out as best as possible before soaping it up and putting it back on the paint. Even taking great care the soap bucket always ends up dirty anyway and that’s only the dirt that comes off the mitt and isn’t just going back on the car. Also I use Carpro Reset soap, which isn’t cheap, so 300ml in the foam cannon mixed with 700ml of water and it’s all I need for the car and the remainder goes into the mitt bucket to soap them up. I don't even need to fill up a rinse bucket and another soap bucket either..... Besides if you have a foam cannon more foam cannon is just more fun :D

I might be anal but honestly I think I’m saving time too. I don’t stand around dipping mitts trying to wring the dirt out worrying if I got all the grit out; I use one and toss it aside. I let my washing machine do it’s job and clean them later.
 

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top