Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

About time to put the Whistler remote radar detector in my QV....

I't been in a couple other cars - but the QV is not simple to pry open the nose, or the tail - to put the main remote "antennae" in.... any thoughts appreciated...

I got the Tech Authority Shop Manual CD, and looking through the procedure to pull the bumper facia (I was thinking the center grill below and behind the Alfa badge where it likely impacts the cooling systems least)... But everything seems inter-connected with everything else, right up to having to put the car on a lift even... I only want to pull the fascia LOL... (after alot of searching in the shop manual - which is VERY good - IF you don't mind alot of searching; there is no search function nor index, and it takes awhile to get to the point in each system...)

I got the idea you have to lower (or remove?) the active Air splitter (dam), meaning two bolts (the shop manual says more) - then the side fascia near the other corner coolers, then maybe even the bottom of the car's covers, wow.... getting hard for a little detector....

I was HOPING I could maybe just drop the splitter, and in Chapter 13 of the shop manual, under Frame & Bumpers/Bumpers/Fascia, Front/Removal & Installation - it says to "use diagnosis equipment to perform the "prepare for removal routine", lowering the front spoiler"....

This begs the question that wow - can you manually lower the Splitter? I read everywhere you could not.... But maybe using diagnostic gear? Not likely an ODBI sensor, eh? I wish...

So reading on - I when to shop manual chapter 28, Diagnotsitcs, and guessed I should read up on "Module, Active Aerodynamic Left (AAML) or right (AAMR)... but neither talkded clearly about lowering the splitter, or pulling it off. It just said those owfully unhelpful words, "Test the splitter for proper operation, when done, test complete"... ughhh.

So any thoughts? Mostly about getting inside the nose grill (or a better place, there are a couple grills on the QV); or where to study up more... Then - any info on manually running the splitter (and if needed, removing it) -

Many thanks!

Paul

Flagstaff, AZ
2017 MC Blue QV

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I feel your pain. We've had the rear end of our QV apart several times working on some upgrades and the construction is just as you describe - seemingly endless interconnected underbody aero panels.

FYI I believe the dealer can lower the front splitter with their WiTech software but it is not possible otherwise.

I would suggest pulling the felt fender liner in the wheel well, and seeing if you can go in from the back that way. Good luck and report back please.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have to remove the front bumper shortly. I would like to do this myself in my garage. I have downloaded the workshop manual relating to this from Autothority. I note also that the manual states to lower the front splitter you need the Alfa diagnoistic panel.

However, the good news is that on further investigation I bvelieve there is a simple solution, it has already been documented on line by a well known organisation thats did clear film protection on a members car in this forum.

There are two M13mm nuts at the bottom of the CF splitter. These afix the spliter to the automated solenoid shafts that lower and raise the spoiler. By removing these nuts the splitter is released and hangs down allowing access to the four panel studs at the bottom of the bumper that allow bumper removal. The splitter actuators do not need re learning because infact they have not been moved, you simply bolt up the splitter once again once you have finished the work.

I hope this helps you. Please report back your experience with the radar install. I will update this thread once I have removed and replaced the front bumper also...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have pulled the fender liner in the wheel well. There is no access at all from that position. I have pictures of this but essentially the entire area is blocked by the headlight and the intercooler radiator each side along with associated mounting brackets...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post what happens - I wonder if the dealership will let me hang out in the shop (with my "antenna" in hand...) when they replace the imperfectly-repaired (inadequate paint match) headlight squirter next visit, and pull off the bumper fascia :) I doubt it LOL...

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pulled the fender liner in the wheel well. There is no access at all from that position. I have pictures of this but essentially the entire area is blocked by the headlight and the intercooler radiator each side along with associated mounting brackets...
I am always excited to see "pulled apart" photos, even if you hit the proverbial brick wall - pictures tell alot, and give me things to think about :) If you are game, would love to see photos! - for that matter - anyone pulling the splitter or nose in other ways, too - picture always worth a thousand words on the "lucky" QV :)

Thanks!:laugh:

Paul

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will take some photos and document here.

This is the view form inside the passenger side wheel arch (RH side). As you can see there is no room here to access the back of the bumper. Infact the headlight takes up a large part of this area...

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the Alfa workshop remove the entire bumper they will use the instructions form the manual to lower the splitter using the panel. The bolt technique above has been confirmed to me as a definate work around and causes no hard but its not in their manual so they wont do that...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I will take some photos and document here.

This is the view form inside the passenger side wheel arch (RH side). As you can see there is no room here to access the back of the bumper. Infact the headlight takes up a large part of this area...
... I can't tell - you do note the headlights take up alot of room - is there a path to snake or get over to the center "grill" from any area at the wheel well/cooler fender area, to perhaps reach the middle? Might mean temporarily pulling the lights too - it may be just easier overall to lower the splitter, and get to the center from below, hard for me to say yet...

If lowering the splitter, do we then spend alot of time pulling the various underbody flat aero panels too, just to get the nose fascia off? Or can we sneak in there?

The workshop manual seems to like to start most work with, something like, "jack the car" ... alot - might make it easier - but if not pulling the wheel(s) - would the car need to be jacked to drop the splitter, and the remaining work? I only ask because the manual seems very picky about how one jacks up a QV LOL... Trying to determine a least painful path is all -

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
167 Posts
... I can't tell - you do note the headlights take up alot of room - is there a path to snake or get over to the center "grill" from any area at the wheel well/cooler fender area, to perhaps reach the middle? Might mean temporarily pulling the lights too - it may be just easier overall to lower the splitter, and get to the center from below, hard for me to say yet...

If lowering the splitter, do we then spend alot of time pulling the various underbody flat aero panels too, just to get the nose fascia off? Or can we sneak in there?

The workshop manual seems to like to start most work with, something like, "jack the car" ... alot - might make it easier - but if not pulling the wheel(s) - would the car need to be jacked to drop the splitter, and the remaining work? I only ask because the manual seems very picky about how one jacks up a QV LOL... Trying to determine a least painful path is all -

Thanks!
Paul

Thanks!
Paul
Hi Paul.

To remove the headlights in the Giulia you must remove the bumper! To remove the bumper you must remove the wheels!

This is why you read so much about raising the vehicle and remove the wheels. Because almost everything up there involves removing the bumper.

There is no way to get to the grill from behind. The headlights and intercoolers take up all the space...

Removing the bumper for your work is relatively simple. Jack both sides of car at same time. Remove wheels, drop splitter, unclip i. Ear guard liners, remove panel studs above bumper and the four that sit under splitter when it's raised, unclip and seperate from car. Just make sure you unplug the sensor harness on the passenger side wheel well and u clip the washer hose on drivers side before you seperate the bumper. Once jacked up and wheels off should be 20 minutes to get the bumper off...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Paul.

To remove the headlights in the Giulia you must remove the bumper! To remove the bumper you must remove the wheels!

This is why you read so much about raising the vehicle and remove the wheels. Because almost everything up there involves removing the bumper.

There is no way to get to the grill from behind. The headlights and intercoolers take up all the space...

Removing the bumper for your work is relatively simple. Jack both sides of car at same time. Remove wheels, drop splitter, unclip i. Ear guard liners, remove panel studs above bumper and the four that sit under splitter when it's raised, unclip and seperate from car. Just make sure you unplug the sensor harness on the passenger side wheel well and u clip the washer hose on drivers side before you seperate the bumper. Once jacked up and wheels off should be 20 minutes to get the bumper off...
Thanks so much - this salves my concerns about what I am doing - appreciate your summation of the process to "get in"!
Paul

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
while your in there you may want to check the brackets that hold the headlight washer cap on!
those are simply crap and snap...that was the first thing that literally "flew off the car"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
while your in there you may want to check the brackets that hold the headlight washer cap on!
those are simply crap and snap...that was the first thing that literally "flew off the car"
Yes - these are what fell off my car first too :)

Now last night, a new thing happened... every time I shut the trunk, it immediately released again (like the electric release button somewhere was stuck "on" - fun 25 minutes of tracing and slamming the trunk til it gave up and remained "latched"... sigh...... Today is a new day - and now it has "amnesia", and is closing and staying latched as if nothing ever happened, LOL...

·
Registered
167 Posts
The trunk will not close if you have left the key inside the trunk. Check that first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trunk will not close if you have left the key inside the trunk. Check that first.
LOL = now I know why - wife had put ta second FOB in her purse, and had tossed it in the trunk (mine was still in my pocket) :laugh: - LOL! GREAT to know!

·
Registered
167 Posts
LOL = now I know why - wife had put ta second FOB in her purse, and had tossed it in the trunk (mine was still in my pocket) :laugh: - LOL! GREAT to know!
Hey, thats a win. Clever design. Discovered myself doing similar!

Let us know how you go with the bumper/drop install. Removing the lower bolts x2 should make getting the bumper off nice and easy...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts