Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the steering column paddle shifters that are part of the performance and sport interior packages are possible to be added to a car without that option?

I'm wondering how much of the electronics are potentially already there? Is it just a matter of buying the interior pieces and replacing, or are there more sophisticated electronics (wiring, controllers, etc.) that would be needed... In other words, how different are the cars with the paddles? Do they have different ecu, wiring, etc. My hope was that all the cars were capable, just lacking the physical paddles/switches.

Reason I ask is I had a tough time finding the exact car I wanted with all the options I wanted for my budget. In the end the one thing I sacrificed on was the paddle shifters. Just curious if I'll ever be able to swap some in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't have the answer to your specific question, but if you can wait (~3 months), why not do a special order? That way you can have everything exactly as you want, without spending a penny more on stuff you don't need.

My guess is you can eventually find a way to retrofit the paddles, but it might end up costing more. :(

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Technically, it's possible. The wiring is there. You'd need to replace the column stalk assembly and the lower column cover. There's a possibility that the Transmission Control Module would need to be reprogrammed, though. and I don't know whether dealers have the possibility of modifying Proxi configurations via wiTECH.

It wouldn't be cheap: assuming US part pricing to be comparable to the European one, you'd be close to $800 out of pocket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the info MacGeek. You're right that its a significant cost, especially with it being unknown whether transmission ecu modification is necessary. It will be tough to make that leap unless I can tinker with it somehow before buying the parts.

I didn't order one with exact specs as I wanted to take advantage of the current 2017 pricing incentives... ordering exactly what I would want would have put outside my budget as I would have to get a 2018 model. I love the car and feel good about the choice I made, just curious down the road whether its an option...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Spend the extra $1200 on the Q2 package. It includes a limited slip differential, active suspension and the paddle shifters. I have this Q2 package and I am so glad I forced the issue. Took four months for our car to arrive and I'm so happy I waited.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I appreciate the info MacGeek. You're right that its a significant cost, especially with it being unknown whether transmission ecu modification is necessary. It will be tough to make that leap unless I can tinker with it somehow before buying the parts.

I didn't order one with exact specs as I wanted to take advantage of the current 2017 pricing incentives... ordering exactly what I would want would have put outside my budget as I would have to get a 2018 model. I love the car and feel good about the choice I made, just curious down the road whether its an option...
I'm in a similar boat as you, but what I wanted but didn't get is the adaptive cruise control. Not sure if it would be possible to retrofit that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts