Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just discovered this:

If your shifter is in normal drive mode - not in the paddle shifter mode - you can still use the paddles to down shift and upshift for a short segment. For example, if you'd like to down shift endtering a turn you can just click the left paddle.In a few seconds the transmission takes over again and sellects the gear it feels appropriate, but this is pretty cool I thought. Having never had paddle shifters and still lamenting not being able to get a manual transmission car, this was a nice little surprise for me.Another one is that in manual shifting mode, if you just hold the left paddle it will keep dropping gears - you don't have to do separate clicks.

Is this common knowledge to the paddleshift savy crowd?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I played around with that during my Chicago to Nashville drive today. Was all a lot of fun.

Reactions: Bonita

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
My 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV with CVT behaves the same way.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
I played around with that during my Chicago to Nashville drive today. Was all a lot of fun.
aha, Chicago to Nashville, thats a long run, thats why your oil temperature went from cool to warm

one notch above is perfectly normal

·
Registered
249 Posts
My '03 M3 SMG does the same thing. I like it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ok I just discovered this:

If your shifter is in normal drive mode - not in the paddle shifter mode - you can still use the paddles to down shift and upshift for a short segment. For example, if you'd like to down shift endtering a turn you can just click the left paddle.In a few seconds the transmission takes over again and sellects the gear it feels appropriate, but this is pretty cool I thought. Having never had paddle shifters and still lamenting not being able to get a manual transmission car, this was a nice little surprise for me.Another one is that in manual shifting mode, if you just hold the left paddle it will keep dropping gears - you don't have to do separate clicks.

Is this common knowledge to the paddleshift savy crowd?
Yes, common knowledge. Not a "secret".

·
Registered
83 Posts
BOO Alfa! for not letting the US models be able to Shift into Neutral with the Paddles, would be so Convenient.
Not a biggie, but still Boo!

Reactions: Bonita

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, late model BMWs with the dual clutch transmissions behave that way with the paddles as well.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
Driver training in the USA teaches that an automatic transmission car should not be put in neutral while moving. I have no idea what is taught elsewhere. I would not be surprised if the DOT does not allow the double paddle shifter->neutral arrangement. It also teaches that you should never touch the brake pedal with your left foot. Lastly for commercial drivers it teaches that you must never downshift while going downhill (only do so at the top of this hill). I believe all of this is based on antiquated equipment limitations, but DMV and DOT move incredibly slowly.

Automatic transmission in neutral: the earliest automatic transmissions in the USA were a manual transmission coupled to a hydraulic clutch (at least for Chrysler's tip-toe hydramatic, circa 1946-1953). IIRC if you put such a transmission in neutral while moving, you cannot get it back in gear.

Left foot on brake pedal: the concern is that in a panic the driver will depress both pedals and not stop quickly. I believe most throttle by wire cars since the Audi 5000 debacle in the late 1980s detect this condition and let the brake overrule the throttle.

Commercial truck downshifts: Until very recently most commercial trucks had 1930s technology non-synchronized transmissions. It is very easy to get stuck unable to engage a gear with this type of transmission.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Driver training in the USA teaches that an automatic transmission car should not be put in neutral while moving. I have no idea what is taught elsewhere. I would not be surprised if the DOT does not allow the double paddle shifter->neutral arrangement.
Not true I have owned 3 Ferraris including my current 2016 California T,. everyone of them allowed you to pull both handles to put the car in neutral.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In mid February I used paddle shifters while in drive, expecting it to behave the way our Subaru Outback did (temporary manual shifting, taken back over by the car after a few seconds of no manual shifting). The salesman did not know.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Not true I have owned 3 Ferraris including my current 2016 California T,. everyone of them allowed you to pull both handles to put the car in neutral.
The difference is the Ferrari F1 transmission is an "Automated Manual" with a clutch while the Giulia uses an actual Automatic transmission.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
The difference is the Ferrari F1 transmission is an "Automated Manual" with a clutch while the Giulia uses an actual Automatic transmission.
This is what I was responding to: "I would not be surprised if the DOT does not allow the double paddle shifter->neutral arrangement." I believe I know the difference between the transmission in my Ferrari to my Alpha. but thanks for the clarification. Apparently European Guilias allow you to pull both handles to put it in neutral.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
That dream can become a reality the next time you are in Boston. :D But does both paddles select neutral on the ZF?
haha thanks, sounds great, i had a girlfriend from Boston once for a year (she was visiting Australia) ... she was as mad as a cut snake, are they all like that over there LoL

say yes and im booking a ticket now LoL

edit: was behind a beautiful white 458 Italia along the beachside run the other day, magnificently wide machine with a road presence that just says im coming through, fantastic sound

havent tried the double paddle click yet, its about 9PM here just had a beer and a pizza and settling in to watch the footy, might check back tomorrow ;-)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts