Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a 2017 Giulia Ti this weekend and the only thing I find myself wishing this car had was the paddle shifters.

Does anyone know if you can add them after the fact at all? And if so, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome! Those paddles are cool, I use them all the time. Haven't heard anyone do this so if it's possible I would expect an expensive quote from the dealer, best to ask them. Only other option might be to ask the dealer for a swap perhaps?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Let me know if you can even add them on at the dealership.

You might not even be able to.

I would consider it if you could since I don't have them either.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Is a different steering column used on Giulias with paddle shifters?

·
Registered
42 Posts
A couple people have done it in Italy. It was no small feat
Sooo I bought a set on eBay out of a wrecked Giulia. Any idea how to install them? Il Conte: You mentioned someone did it in Italy, so I'm assuming you read it on an Italian language forum? I just finished one semester of accelerated Italian (I work at a University so I can take some free classes each year). If you could just direct me to the link I could try to puzzle it out, or if you know an English language reference that would help too! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sooo I bought a set on eBay out of a wrecked Giulia. Any idea how to install them? Il Conte: You mentioned someone did it in Italy, so I'm assuming you read it on an Italian language forum? I just finished one semester of accelerated Italian (I work at a University so I can take some free classes each year). If you could just direct me to the link I could try to puzzle it out, or if you know an English language reference that would help too! Thanks!
Here you go... https://forum.clubalfa.it/threads/montaggio-palette-al-volante.116443/

Note that those are the steps for the mechanical installation... then there's the software part, that only a shop with the Leonardo diagnostic tool can activate... (mostly used for Ferrari, it seems). That's all I know. Good luck...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here you go... https://forum.clubalfa.it/threads/montaggio-palette-al-volante.116443/

Note that those are the steps for the mechanical installation... then there's the software part, that only a shop with the Leonardo diagnostic tool can activate... (mostly used for Ferrari, it seems). That's all I know. Good luck...
Il Conte, thanks a lot for the link! Now I just need to find a shop that can activate once I get it installed. I called an independent Ferrari shop and they have something akin to Leonardo but not Leonardo itself. They owe me an answer back as to whether their equipment (Taxa?) will talk to the Giulia. I'm not a computer wizard myself but hopefully I'll find a suitable place to activate the paddles.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
In North America, paddle shifters are part of the sport package and/or part of the performance package. We have a Lusso with paddle shifters because we also have the performance package. The performance package includes an LSD that is not part of the sport package.

I didn't study the link in the previous post as I don't speak the language. The bigger question is what's involved getting the software part of the car to recognize the paddles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Il Conte, thanks a lot for the link! Now I just need to find a shop that can activate once I get it installed. I called an independent Ferrari shop and they have something akin to Leonardo but not Leonardo itself. They owe me an answer back as to whether their equipment (Taxa?) will talk to the Giulia. I'm not a computer wizard myself but hopefully I'll find a suitable place to activate the paddles.
Very interested to hear how this turns out, please keep us updated! I would consider doing the same thing on my base Giulia. My wife didn't like the extra aluminum trim accents that came with the interior sport package and I got a bit impulsive anyway and grabbed a pretty bare bones base off the lot that I could get for the right price. If you are doing the mechanical install yourself please take some pics to post. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
275 Posts
I hope that you can pull this off. The paddle shifters paired with this transmission are great and are really one of the best parts of the car. It is much better than using the stick. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very interested to hear how this turns out, please keep us updated! I would consider doing the same thing on my base Giulia. My wife didn't like the extra aluminum trim accents that came with the interior sport package and I got a bit impulsive anyway and grabbed a pretty bare bones base off the lot that I could get for the right price. If you are doing the mechanical install yourself please take some pics to post. Best of luck!
Clark do you know a shop in Denver that might be able to do the coding or might have a Leonardo device? I asked AutoNation North Denver (where I bought the car) and they definitely said the retrofit is NOT possible. Now i know it is, I just need to find the right computer guy. The paddles shipped today and from the Italian forum it looks like it'll only take a short period of time to do the mechanical changeover.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I own a base Giulia Q4 (AWD). Besides the 8.8" screen/NAV/Sirius package that came with it, the only two extras were the sports interior and exterior package. These two packages are a huge no-brainer IMO. I don't race or track but just love this car for the great handling and performance in this class. I have studied and tested every feature of this car that I now know rather intimately. :x

There is one feature that stands out more than any other on this car for me. The Aluminum Steering Column Mounted Paddle Shifters! Giulia is 13 months old. I now use the D Mode auto shifting almost exclusively (sounds great and faster), except for the A Mode on a longer and mostly level trip for high gas mileage (37 mpg). However, when I want to have more fun and feel much younger, I now use the paddle shifters at least some of the time every day I drive Giulia. What an exhilarating feeling!

If I didn't already have the paddle shifters I would jump on the chance to have them installed and forgo all the carbon fiber trim, etc. for later. I hope someone will offer the after market option of parts and software installation. They will have to pry the paddle shifters from my cold, dead hands! :grin2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Clark do you know a shop in Denver that might be able to do the coding or might have a Leonardo device? I asked AutoNation North Denver (where I bought the car) and they definitely said the retrofit is NOT possible. Now i know it is, I just need to find the right computer guy. The paddles shipped today and from the Italian forum it looks like it'll only take a short period of time to do the mechanical changeover.
This thread was the first time I heard of this magical Leonardo device...definitely sounds Italian ;). It’s definitelt frustrating that the dealers said it’s impossible since I would think the dealer techs would be the people with the best chance of knowing how to do this. I’d call the mike ward service department down here next, that’s the only other Alfa dealer in the state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This was to avoid having to buy a car with the paddles. The dealer only had two on the lot, both were in colors I wasn't interested in, and both cost >$8k more than the one I ended up buying. I figure a couple of hundred bucks for the part and maybe a few hundred more for the coding is far less than $8k. Also, then I get the base model no-driver aid Giulia I wanted and the paddle shifters. I think many people on here are interested in the changeover so I'll try to document as best I can provided I can find a place to do the coding. I'm not taking the steering column apart until I can definitely find someone to do the electrical work.

Reactions: Clarkebb

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It would be a lot less work to buy a car with paddles and then change the aluminum paddles for something else, such as carbon fiber.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It would be a lot less work to buy a car with paddles and then change the aluminum paddles for something else, such as carbon fiber.
True, but I believe we're getting off topic. This is supposed to be about adding paddles to a non-paddle car. The reality is that there are no paddles on my car and I will attempt to install them and get them working. This is what Alfa ownership is all about, tweaking and improving! It's always easier to buy a new car with everything you want, but sometimes it can be fun to just do the things you want to improve as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts