Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Over the air update

24K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  SerpenteRosso 
#1 ·
Not sure if anyone received a call but today I was informed by Alfa in the coming two weeks they will be sending an update over the air. Wow I'm amazing, it does have to do with the stop/start feature and a slew other things. It can be at your home or anywhere there is a strong signal.

#2 ·
I wonder who will be getting the call?

#5 · (Edited)
This one is hard to believe. How can the car receive the update? Did you get a caller ID on that call, SerpenteRosso, to make sure it wasn't your local BMW dealer stirring up some trouble.
Wondering if our reliable resident expert, @MacGeek has heard anything about this.

#6 ·
LOL good one I still get the BMW notifications. Yes it was very verified by my caller ID and the person who talked to me mentioned the other reps name who I was dealing with. Yes guys it's hard to fathom however we have to the realization this is the 21st century LOL

This one is hard to believe. How can the car receive the update? Did you get a caller ID on that call, SerpenteRosso, to make sure it wasn't your local BMW dealer stirring up some trouble.

#7 ·
I'd settle for downloading to a USB and letting the car ingest the updates while I sleep.

#8 · (Edited)
If and when this update appears on my screen I will* make a video. Guys just so you know, the reason for this update was specifically for an issue related to my cold start start issue but when I had asked he noted specifically the stop/start update with some other enhancements. I'll keep you guys updated.

#17 ·
Tesla relies on 3G or Wifi connection for over-the-air. The car obtains an IP address and the download begins.

Per Tesla's Owner's instructions page below.
Software updates

Tesla vehicles regularly receives over-the-air software updates that add new features and functionality. When an update is available, you’ll be notified on the center display with an option to install immediately, or schedule the installation for a later time. Connect your vehicle to your home’s Wi-Fi network for the fastest possible download time.

#20 ·
I guess, if the car is able to send and receive signals from a satellite, so that the satellite knows precisely where it is at all times, they could theoretically send other data to the car through the same satellite technology.
But it seems like an expensive proposition to program a satellite to send specific updates to a specific car.
Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

#22 ·
#26 ·
I'll be really surprised if there is any OTA update capability.
If there is, it must be via some latent method FCA has not disclosed.

I found this statement in the Radio Owner's Manual Supplement on the Alfa USA website https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...s/Giulia/2017-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Radio-3rd.pdf under the heading cybersecurity
CYBERSECURITY
That's obviously a boilerplate/CYA statement.
As has been stated before, the Giulia does not have any advertised WiFi or 3G/4G connection capability.
Typically the 3G/4G would be used for telematics services like OnStar, etc. for reporting accidents, stolen vehicle tracking, etc. No such capability has been mentioned for the Giulia.

I guess, if the car is able to send and receive signals from a satellite, so that the satellite knows precisely where it is at all times, they could theoretically send other data to the car through the same satellite technology.
But it seems like an expensive proposition to program a satellite to send specific updates to a specific car.
Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.
AFAIK, the only satellite capability is with the optional Sirius/XM and GPS.
- SXM is optional and standalone and unlikely to support any data channel to the rest of the infotainment system.
- GPS is one-way transmission of timing signals from satellite TO the receiver. Determining position, etc. is all done in the car.

#23 ·
I know all Giulias have remote start via the fob. Does anyone know if they also have it via a cell phone app? If so, that's a potential data path. Ditto the navigation system.

#25 · (Edited)
@Chipshot , Cell phone app would require a CDMA or GPRS or GSM, etc. chip.

Bluetooth would never be able to do it. Unless there is a dormant wi-fi chip in the car, which I doubt since you'd have a warning in the car by law I'd think, I cannot think of anyway into the car. No way would Alfa pay SiriusXM to use their satellites, plus if you go into a tunnel then what? The car would need to be stationary and dormant while all of the software updated/booted.

@xgapx , the manual is full of "what if features". Mine even talks about the ability to hand write on the scroll wheel but that was never enabled either. Unless this manual section is supposed to be the legal warning.

#27 ·
AFAIK, the only satellite capability is with the optional Sirius/XM and GPS.
- SXM is optional and standalone and unlikely to support any data channel to the rest of the infotainment system.
The car obviously has some sort of API from SiriusXM otherwise there would be no way for the Sirius data to end up on the TFT cluster; same with the nav. Data can flow from the infotainment to the other systems...now, if say, the CAN bus can be flashed via the infotainment I'd say that's a leap.

Maybe there are a pair of rabbit ears we will be getting in the mail anyday now. You attach them to the engine and then you can get OTA updates.>:)

#28 ·
Paging @AlfaRomeoCares. Do our cars have over-the-air capability?

#34 ·
I was intrigued too till I received an email from Alfa a few minutes stating the following:Good afternoon Mr. ****, My name is Christopher and I am a Case Manager at Alfa Romeo. I am following up with you to advise you that we are working on a software update to address your vehicle concerns and will follow-up as soon as we have a better ETA to it's release. Please note that there may have been some confusion and will not be an over the air update and that will need to be completed at an authorized Alfa Romeo dealership. I apologize for any confusion you may have encountered. Best wishes, Christopher Case Manager | Alfa Romeo

#38 ·
Hmmm, maybe it works like broadcast radio and it's not that the satellite knows where each car is, rather, each car tunes in to the satellites broadcast and receives the info being broadcast. This seems a little sketchy though given intellectual property rights and laws and so forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.