Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone received a call but today I was informed by Alfa in the coming two weeks they will be sending an update over the air. Wow I'm amazing, it does have to do with the stop/start feature and a slew other things. It can be at your home or anywhere there is a strong signal.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I wonder who will be getting the call?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Um.....this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
This one is hard to believe. How can the car receive the update? Did you get a caller ID on that call, SerpenteRosso, to make sure it wasn't your local BMW dealer stirring up some trouble.
Wondering if our reliable resident expert, @MacGeek has heard anything about this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL good one I still get the BMW notifications. Yes it was very verified by my caller ID and the person who talked to me mentioned the other reps name who I was dealing with. Yes guys it's hard to fathom however we have to the realization this is the 21st century LOL

This one is hard to believe. How can the car receive the update? Did you get a caller ID on that call, SerpenteRosso, to make sure it wasn't your local BMW dealer stirring up some trouble.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,472 Posts
I'd settle for downloading to a USB and letting the car ingest the updates while I sleep.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If and when this update appears on my screen I will* make a video. Guys just so you know, the reason for this update was specifically for an issue related to my cold start start issue but when I had asked he noted specifically the stop/start update with some other enhancements. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Russian, Chinese, or North Korean hackers. Shelter your car under metal to ensure it isn't paralyzed by ransomware.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
But how can the car retrieve an update by over-the-air? There is no Wifi nor 3G chip in the car to obtain an IP address?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called the dealer he said the over air update would occcur through the radio antenna. Furthermore, he will be looking into it and hopefully I'll see what this it's all about

But how can the car retrieve an update by over-the-air? There is no Wifi nor 3G chip in the car to obtain an IP address?

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Called the dealer he said the over air update would occcur through the radio antenna. Furthermore, he will be looking into it and hopefully I'll see what this it's all about
Via satellite radio???

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Via car antenna that's what he had said. If you are in doubt call up customer care. I'm surprised myself and I wouldn't make this stuff up.

Via satellite radio???

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Tesla relies on 3G or Wifi connection for over-the-air. The car obtains an IP address and the download begins.

Per Tesla's Owner's instructions page below.
Software updates

Tesla vehicles regularly receives over-the-air software updates that add new features and functionality. When an update is available, you’ll be notified on the center display with an option to install immediately, or schedule the installation for a later time. Connect your vehicle to your home’s Wi-Fi network for the fastest possible download time.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I guess, if the car is able to send and receive signals from a satellite, so that the satellite knows precisely where it is at all times, they could theoretically send other data to the car through the same satellite technology.
But it seems like an expensive proposition to program a satellite to send specific updates to a specific car.
Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts