Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Giulia a little less than a month and I have had several issues with it already. Today I had to park it on the side of the road as the warning light for the temperature went on and the car over heated after driving it for 5 minutes. The other day the engine suddenly stopped and the steering wheel locked while I was driving on the highway, has anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Bought my Giulia a little less than a month and I have had several issues with it already. Today I had to park it on the side of the road as the warning light for the temperature went on and the car over heated after driving it for 5 minutes. The other day the engine suddenly stopped and the steering wheel locked while I was driving on the highway, has anybody else experienced this?
Ouch! When you say the steering wheel locked, do you mean it became difficult to steer (power assist shut off) or that the mechanical steering lock engaged so that the wheel could not be turned at all while the car was in motion? If so, this is the kind of thing that results in major recalls.

This sounds like bad communication with the key fob so that the car decided that you were not an authorized driver. I am not a fan of "push button" keyless starting. IMO, keyless starting is a cost reduction that has been foisted on the general public as a desirable feature, even though it reduces the safety of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Model and Vin details

Wondering which Giulia model you have and you're VIN details....early production car ?
Special order or from dealer inventory.....?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is the link to my post on this

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...-turns-off-left-lane-highway-going-75mph.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wheels locked and I couldn't turn it. Now its in the shop because of the overheating issues and I was told today by the FCA that the whole engine needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The wheels locked and I couldn't turn it. Now its in the shop because of the overheating issues and I was told today by the FCA that the whole engine needs to be replaced.
I would demand a completely brand new car.... if dealer resists time to have your attorney send them a letter..

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Please post what model Giulia this happened to.
Production date as well, please.
Did the oil temperature gauge indicate an overheating state?
Was there a coolant loss situation prior to overheating?
Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please post what model Giulia this happened to.
Production date as well, please.
Did the oil temperature gauge indicate an overheating state?
Was there a coolant loss situation prior to overheating?
Good luck!!
. Its the base giulia AWD right before it overheated there was a warning light that came on but the temperature gauge showed normal so pulled over to the side of the road immediately and that's when the hood started smoking

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
. Its the base giulia AWD right before it overheated there was a warning light that came on but the temperature gauge showed normal so pulled over to the side of the road immediately and that's when the hood started smoking
If you pulled the car over immediately after the warning light came on you should be OK and I wouldn't suspect any damage was done to the block or gasket. The smoke is just coolant fluid leaking somewhere and evaporating. Sounds like you experienced a catastrophic coolant leak. Did you smell the indicative coolant odor a few days before this happened by any chance? You have to have a fine nose to smell it if it a small leak which will ultimately lead to the radiator not having enough coolant to continue cooling the car.

This happened to me but with my Buick Lacrosse after 1 year of purchase. I had a small leak somewhere and I smelled coolant fluid a week before but I did not take action. Then one morning, driving to work my engine overheated and I got a warning message saying coolant hot to pull over and the car turned off the AC automatically. The excessive heat, further blew the leak open. It was determined the coolant pump failed at the gasket and it was replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Base Giulia AWDs cost $72k? Saw you posted that in another thread.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If the engine shut off first, that would explain why the steering felt like it locked. Usually, if you use enough muscle, you can still steer the car.

If AR wants to replace the engine, let them. Your new car warranty includes the use of a loaner car while in the shop for warranty work. Perhaps you can twist their arm and get another Giulia as a loaner.

It really sucks that your new car has a serious issue like this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the price was $58,000 but after all the taxes and extended warranties the total came to $72,000

Talked to the dealership yesterday and they told me that the oil leaked into the coolant (that's why my oil was so low after 4 days of driving it)
the engine is completely F**cked and now they are taking it out and putting a brand new engine. this really sucks because i just bought this car and now i have to wait another month to get it back, they wont even give me a replacement Alfa to drive instead they gave me a cherokee.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
the price was $58,000 but after all the taxes and extended warranties the total came to $72,000

Talked to the dealership yesterday and they told me that the oil leaked into the coolant (that's why my oil was so low after 4 days of driving it)
the engine is completely F**cked and now they are taking it out and putting a brand new engine. this really sucks because i just bought this car and now i have to wait another month to get it back, they wont even give me a replacement Alfa to drive instead they gave me a cherokee.
On an episode of "Gas Monkey Garage" they worked on a Porsche that they bought for very cheap because it had been totalled because oil leaked into the coolant. The mechanics acted like it was the owner's fault, but these things can happen suddenly as you experienced (I had to replace the engine in my Toyota 4runner because of this--apparently a design flaw in their V6 mixed-metal engine). At least it is a fairly rare event for most brands. Besides destroying the engine in the Porsche all of the coolant lines and radiators (most cars have a radiator buried deep in the dashboard for generating interior heat) were clogged with the thick goo (a.k.a. baby poo) that forms when oil and water are mixed. GMG had to tear the entire car apart to clean out all of the lines. Make certain that your dealer is fastidious about cleaning out all of the lines or at least checking them for "baby poo". Also, coolant hose rubber is not designed for exposure to oil, so all of that rubber should be replaced. At least the routing of coolant lines in Giulia should be a lot simpler than in a rear engined Porsche.

Sorry to hear about the Cherokee loaner. In my area (Silicon Valley) all of the Alfa dealers are Alfa/Maserati and don't carry the wider range of FCA products. Hopefully I would get an Alfa or a Ghibli (or better) as a loaner if necessary.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The Temperature gauge you are referring to is the "Oil Temperature Gauge" to the left of the tachometer...Is there a water temperature gauge in a different "menu" somewhere ??

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
The Temperature gauge you are referring to is the "Oil Temperature Gauge" to the left of the tachometer...Is there a water temperature gauge in a different "menu" somewhere ??
In the case of my Toyota the water temp gauge would not have helped provide any warning. In that case:

Inappropriate coolant chemistry caused the cast iron cylinder block head gasket surface to corrode.
The shortest distance between the coolant channel and something else was to one of the cylinders.
Once this path is established pressurized coolant sprays into the cylinder until there is not enough coolant for the water pump to circulate.
Then the engine overheats very quickly.

The corrosion is slow, taking years to become a problem. The rest of the problem advances very quickly (a few minutes or less). Once the coolant level drops the water temperature sensor is no longer immersed and provides no indication that the engine is overheating. The first warning is lack of power as the engine starts to seize from the heat.

Apparently Toyota brand coolant had the right chemistry to avoid this problem, but Toyota did not specify that only their coolant was to be used in their engines. So anyone who changes the coolant for their favorite brand eventually encountered this problem. I think more modern non-Toyota coolants have the necessary additives.

At least AR chose an all aluminum design, which is less prone to this corrosion problem than aluminum heads on a cast iron cylinder block.

A new engine that is spraying oil into the coolant system more likely has a manufacturing flaw than any kind of corrosion or design flaw. I presume that AR will be doing a postmortem analysis in order to be certain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's probably just ordinary head gasket failure (or, say, the block is cracked) rather than something more exotic. Perhaps an assembly issue. Until there's a pattern I wouldn't worry about one. It really sucks for the OP but it's not yet something to extrapolate from. But yes, hopefully they take an interest in any early failures.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts