Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Seriously thinking of ordering my QV from Ohio (I am in Socal) since the dealer there has great inventory.
Has anyone ordered a QV (sight unseen) from distant dealer?
What caveats should I be aware of on ordering and taking delivery?

I know I want to Take truck delivery during daytime so a complete inspection can be done.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A lot of people have dealt with Jim at Strongsville, so you'll be in good hands. I've bought many classic vehicles sight unseen...I usually try to contact someone in my hobby network that's near the location to do a visual inspection. If you don't know anyone in Ohio, then just have them send lots of pictures and a walk around video. Ohio ships for free, but I think that's on a common open carrier. You could have oil from the car above leaking on your new QV. You might consider opting for a private carrier or at least an enclosed one. I had my 03 marauder shipped by common carrier, and they packed the cars so tight, the bumper paint was rubbed off when I received it. The claim was fairly painless, but it's a step that can be avoided. Good luck...you'll love the Quad.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
A lot of people have dealt with Jim at Strongsville, so you'll be in good hands. I've bought many classic vehicles sight unseen...I usually try to contact someone in my hobby network that's near the location to do a visual inspection. If you don't know anyone in Ohio, then just have them send lots of pictures and a walk around video. Ohio ships for free, but I think that's on a common open carrier. You could have oil from the car above leaking on your new QV. You might consider opting for a private carrier or at least an enclosed one. I had my 03 marauder shipped by common carrier, and they packed the cars so tight, the bumper paint was rubbed off when I received it. The claim was fairly painless, but it's a step that can be avoided. Good luck...you'll love the Quad.
Good recommendation

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts
I have a local dealer that I would like to work with. They don't have the car I am looking for but I found it 1000 miles away. Is it better to work with my local dealer to get the car shipped to them or should I deal with the dealer that has the car. I have never bought from out of state. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts
I can't agree more. Would you rather drive it or let some shipper that just wants to get your car from A to B the most profitable way. I will stop there. Can you say Uship? Your bidding begins
I agree that a road trip sounds like fun but if I was able to get a better deal from my local dealer and have them ship/trade a car for the one I want wouldn't that be a better idea. It would allow me to inspect the car at my local dealer before taking delivery. Can dealers get me a car from out of state and have it shipped to them?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have a local dealer that I would like to work with. They don't have the car I am looking for but I found it 1000 miles away. Is it better to work with my local dealer to get the car shipped to them or should I deal with the dealer that has the car. I have never bought from out of state. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Everyone will probably have a different take on this...I've purchased 5 cars via Autotrader out of State over the past 10 years....in my opinion
1) Why involve your local dealer ? I would deal with the person that has the car I want

2) I try to shop within a radius of 300 miles so that I am willing to drive (give them my trade) and take the new car home.

3) I have shipped a classic car cross country...I had a colleague, who is a car guy, do an inspection on the car I was buying as well as a test drive. I wired the money to him and he took car of the transaction on my behalf.

4) I shipped the car enclosed....Now shipping cars is a "sketchy" business...I insisted and found a carrier that would not hand off the car to another carrier and would not download and upload the vehicle several times on the way....They were in line with other carriers cost wise...

5) Do you have a trade ? In my opinion, this is a vital part of the transaction as your tax exposure will be based on the difference in price between your Quad and your Trade....You will be paying sales tax according to the State you live in....Unless you set up a Montana LLC , in which case the paper corporation purchases the asset and there is no tax exposure....Montana is also a "single plate state".....D

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had no problems with open shipping from OH and no scratches. Then again, I'm a master at swirl removal so I wasn't really worried unless a deep chip occurred. I spent a day prepping every panel prior to paint sealer for the heck of it...As mentioned the issues above are possible though. Jim offered closed shipping for a little extra - more than offset by the deal if someone is concerned enough. The only issue for me with shipping was that I didn't know when they were going to arrive until a phone call that they were across town and wanted me to meet them to offload it where they were. I obliged since it was easy enough but had to cancel a meeting to do it (then grab the wife's car, leave one, then go back for it later...). I'd still do it again.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Everyone will probably have a different take on this...I've purchased 5 cars via Autotrader out of State over the past 10 years....in my opinion
1) Why involve your local dealer ? I would deal with the person that has the car I want

2) I try to shop within a radius of 300 miles so that I am willing to drive (give them my trade) and take the new car home.

3) I have shipped a classic car cross country...I had a colleague, who is a car guy, do an inspection on the car I was buying as well as a test drive. I wired the money to him and he took car of the transaction on my behalf.

4) I shipped the car enclosed....Now shipping cars is a "sketchy" business...I insisted and found a carrier that would not hand off the car to another carrier and would not download and upload the vehicle several times on the way....They were in line with other carriers cost wise...

5) Do you have a trade ? In my opinion, this is a vital part of the transaction as your tax exposure will be based on the difference in price between your Quad and your Trade....You will be paying sales tax according to the State you live in....Unless you set up a Montana LLC , in which case the paper corporation purchases the asset and there is no tax exposure....Montana is also a "single plate state".....D
Where was your list WHEN I NEEDED IT. Hey anyone that thinks that number 4 at a MINIMUM isn't a must for your car think twice. I have spent far more than the cost of what the enclosed container would have been but she is looking snappy but is taking me months because I didn't follow #4. And I know where those chips are at on the car. Others may not. I can see my discolored tow caps. Spend the extra dollars. Your peace of mind is worth that.

All the other numbers are equally important. Here is why.

If the car has an issue before it leaves you are a heck of a long way away to resolve it. Also, if your car has road hazards in open container or other problems....you can't get a paint match on your brand new car that will ever look the same. So for those that think it isn't worth it. Think again. The folks that are posting these recommendations are not newbies to me. Sure I would buy out of state but I would fly and drive or I would ship enclosed after I flew out and did my own inspection or paid a competent person to do so for me.

I am lucky in one very BIG way so far. That QV has thus far run clean. It was just flawed cosmetically during shipping and a few missing items in the vehicle.

All would have been avoided if I had followed the steps listed above. But I didn't.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Can we Make this list a Sticky

Alfaholico has presented a very mindful list of considerations that I think would be a good sticky for those of us that are getting our cars shipped.

Call it Shipping Considerations or something.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Where was your list WHEN I NEEDED IT. Hey anyone that thinks that number 4 at a MINIMUM isn't a must for your car think twice. I have spent far more than the cost of what the enclosed container would have been but she is looking snappy but is taking me months because I didn't follow #4. And I know where those chips are at on the car. Others may not. I can see my discolored tow caps. Spend the extra dollars. Your peace of mind is worth that.

All the other numbers are equally important. Here is why.

If the car has an issue before it leaves you are a heck of a long way away to resolve it. Also, if your car has road hazards in open container or other problems....you can't get a paint match on your brand new car that will ever look the same. So for those that think it isn't worth it. Think again. The folks that are posting these recommendations are not newbies to me. Sure I would buy out of state but I would fly and drive or I would ship enclosed after I flew out and did my own inspection or paid a competent person to do so for me.

I am lucky in one very BIG way so far. That QV has thus far run clean. It was just flawed cosmetically during shipping and a few missing items in the vehicle.

All would have been avoided if I had followed the steps listed above. But I didn't.
Time for the metaphors....

1) Hindsight is 20 / 20

2) Life is a journey

3) Every day is a lesson learned

4) Don't get mad at yourself, you'll only want to get even

5) Swim and the world swims with you, drown and you drown alone.....

OK...the last one's a little intense...but you get my point .....:laugh:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I had no problems with open shipping from OH and no scratches. Then again, I'm a master at swirl removal so I wasn't really worried unless a deep chip occurred. I spent a day prepping every panel prior to paint sealer for the heck of it...As mentioned the issues above are possible though. Jim offered closed shipping for a little extra - more than offset by the deal if someone is concerned enough. The only issue for me with shipping was that I didn't know when they were going to arrive until a phone call that they were across town and wanted me to meet them to offload it where they were. I obliged since it was easy enough but had to cancel a meeting to do it (then grab the wife's car, leave one, then go back for it later...). I'd still do it again.
Mine were not swirls that were chips through the rosso comp to the white so pretty deep and needed layers of touch up and it still doesn't look right. Tow caps. Not sure what ATS was thinking but probably thought it was safer just didn't know how to remove a tow cap without a screw driver. You gotta ask...why did he need to tie down the QV. Jim said they should never do that ever! So it is the luck of the draw. I could deal with swirls. That is going to happen on any new car. Film on the B Pillars was the biggest bang for the buck zero swirl marks.

I would totally buy out of state again. We have plenty of vacation time to schedule a pickup. If it is the Winter we will spring for an enclosed container. It only takes one bad experience and you won't do it again. If we had just gotten a dirty car I would say no biggy do it again even with the 12:30 am drop off. That wouldn't bother me. But because of the chips I would rather keep it enclosed and if at all possible drive it home. I would get a cheap bra thrown on the front until we got home since it is a long haul. Stelvio is next and won't be the performance beast nor the cost of our QV so very different expectations.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Time for the metaphors....

1) Hindsight is 20 / 20

2) Life is a journey

3) Every day is a lesson learned

4) Don't get mad at yourself, you'll only want to get even

5) Swim and the world swims with you, drown and you drown alone.....

OK...the last one's a little intense...but you get my point .....:laugh:
I love it. Very true and made me smile.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts

Great points! Here is a little more detail on the deal. I know the owner of my local dealer. I can get "friends and family" pricing from them. I would perfer not to deal with an out of state dealer due to different maintence and protection packages that I could get from my local dealer such as wheel protection on the 19" dark 5 hole wheels. I will also be leasing the car. Florida also has the lemon law. Thank you for the kind reply.

Reactions: Alfaholico
1 - 15 of 15 Posts