Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down at dealer while deciding the colour of my yet to be built Giulia. During my visit I asked the rep about smartphone integration and he said there the next software update will come in the Summer and will bring Apple Carplay and Android Auto to all Giulias and Stelvios that have the Connect3D TomTom nav systems.

I asked him whether this was confirmed and he said its definitely going to happen in the next few months!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Call me skeptical but the interface in all other car markets utilizes the touch screen.

Giulia has not.

How they do it though!

Reactions: Prasanth

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I heard that they will be doing this as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it will be controlled with the knobs. I was reading about Carplay on Apple website and it will work with any system that has a way of controlling the screen, whether it is a touch screen or controlled by wheels and a push, like ours. This is good news. I was afraid it would take a Change of infotainment hardware and therefore, a new model year, etc.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Was told 2 times by different people at Alfa that the 2017 will not get it, 1 even claimed needed new hardware which I think is BS.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's to hoping! Although, truth be told, it's not that big of a deal because you have to actually plug in your phone. BMW had tons of plug in apps which I never used. The day CarPlay is available via Bluetooth, then I will cheer. Until then...yawn!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
BMW in the F30 series does not have a touchscreen but apple carplay (and a touch sensitive control dial)
Good point. There is a video floating out there which shows the Giulia with a touch-sensitive rotary control...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, I know this video and it is rather random. I sat in a Stelvio recently which already had the new V2 software installed, but the rotary wheel was not touch sensitive. I still believe, this is only a software switch, but someone with proper FCA diagnostics has to confirm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good question, I also want to know.
Why would it require the nav. If you have the upgraded 8.8 screen they won't offer the android auto with the software update? What does it have to do with whether it has nav software?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't want to be the party pooper but I've heard an interview with a tech manager saying that the hardware will be different :(

BostonDMD is the smart one waiting for MY2018. I wish I had his self control but unfortunately being 100% Italian blooded cannot help
myself. They called it passion but don't believe them. It's something else...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Don't want to be the party pooper but I've heard an interview with a tech manager saying that the hardware will be different :(

BostonDMD is the smart one waiting for MY2018. I wish I had his self control but unfortunately being 100% Italian blooded cannot help
myself. They called it passion but don't believe them. It's something else...
The only reason I am waiting for a MY18 is because I refuse to pay MSRP for any new car......:smile2:
Plus by MY18 all the updates and "folletti" will be installed and figured out......
Lastly the 997 and spec Boxster will assist me in the wait of the bellissima Giulia Quadrifoglio!

Pazienza..........0:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why would it require the TomTom Nav???
I've had factory installed TomTom before - NOT a fan. In fact, TomTom Nav is THE reason to have car play/Android Auto in the first place (so you can use google maps instead)!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why would it require the TomTom Nav???
I've had factory installed TomTom before - NOT a fan. In fact, TomTom Nav is THE reason to have car play/Android Auto in the first place (so you can use google maps instead)!
You are making too much sense >:)

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
i have come to the conclusion that this will be a feature in Series II Giulia and that video was just a preview teaser
I have lodged requests to fix this cars poor infotainment system and the Customer Assistance Center has given me the same bad news: no Apple Carplay upgrade. They do say that a software upgrade is expected and it should fix that this car can recognize and read texts aloud and that when using voice activation it will try to call my contacts using only 7 digit (no area code).

To solve the need that Giulia has to function as a mobile office daily, I bought a NAVDI. This is an awesome heads-up display that plugs into the OBD-II port and syncs in your phone. THe Nav is google maps based and can be directged from a phone app or by voice command. It will also allow you to play music from your phone library in a much more complete way than the car infotainment, and displays important car info on the heads-up display. Really really useful for those of us who wanted their Giulia NOW.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts