Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the consensus is to get the tow hook license plate bracket.

My concern though is that it will not withstand going through a car wash.

Unlike my 92 Spider Veloce which gets hand washed all the time, the Giulia will not.

The Giulia will primarily be my wife's everyday car which means running it through a car wash often.

Any options for a front license plate bracket that would be extremely sturdy without drilling?

I just don't think the tow hook option would be sturdy enough for car washes.

I have seen some people use tie wraps for their license plates but I think personally that it does not look good.

Hope to get more feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
Is it the tie wraps that you don't think look good or is it the position over the lower left grill?
If you do not have the sport option you should be able to screw the plate to the lower left grill.
Someone also posted his implementation using toggle bolts to hold the plate in a similar position. If you get nylon toggle bolts I think it should hold up fairly well and not weigh too much.

I intend to fabricate a plastic adapter to hold the plate in that same position. My intention is to be able to attach the plate without cutting or bending the plate. It will block maybe 1/2 of the outside vent, which provides air to the wheel well to improve aerodynamics. I won't know if this is really feasible until I get my car. It is too bad that AR doesn't make a North America specific left side grill with an integral license plate mount.

Note that except for the tie wrap arrangement it is necessary to put holes in the black plastic grill. Unlike putting holes in the body color painted fascia, holes in the grill are recessed and can be plugged more-or-less invisibly.

Also note that the tie wrap arrangement probably partially blocks both vents on the sport model and covers one optional sensor.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Unlike my 92 Spider Veloce which gets hand washed all the time, the Giulia will not.

The Giulia will primarily be my wife's everyday car which means running it through a car wash often.

Any options for a front license plate bracket that would be extremely sturdy without drilling?

I have seen some people use tie wraps for their license plates but I think personally that it does not look good.

Thanks
It goes through a car wash with no problem. Use Blue Loctite on the connections.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It goes through a car wash with no problem. Use Blue Loctite on the connections.
Alfa55, did you use the Blue Loctite tape or solution? My front license plate tends to get a bit loose from vibration and have been thinking about how to make it more stable.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No tape for the nuts and bolts.

Reactions: Simey

·
Registered
112 Posts
did you use the Blue Loctite tape or solution?
I used Blue Loctite liquid in a tube on my Alfa9 bracket - still solid after almost 9k miles (including 2 rides through a touchless car wash).

Reactions: Simey

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it the tie wraps that you don't think look good or is it the position over the lower left grill?
If you do not have the sport option you should be able to screw the plate to the lower left grill.
Someone also posted his implementation using toggle bolts to hold the plate in a similar position. If you get nylon toggle bolts I think it should hold up fairly well and not weigh too much.

I intend to fabricate a plastic adapter to hold the plate in that same position. My intention is to be able to attach the plate without cutting or bending the plate. It will block maybe 1/2 of the outside vent, which provides air to the wheel well to improve aerodynamics. I won't know if this is really feasible until I get my car. It is too bad that AR doesn't make a North America specific left side grill with an integral license plate mount.

Note that except for the tie wrap arrangement it is necessary to put holes in the black plastic grill. Unlike putting holes in the body color painted fascia, holes in the grill are recessed and can be plugged more-or-less invisibly.

Also note that the tie wrap arrangement probably partially blocks both vents on the sport model and covers one optional sensor.
I personally think that the tie wraps holding the plate look "cheap".

·
Registered
231 Posts

Thanks
Hi,

What color is your car? The reason that I ask is because a brushed/fabric carwash causes all kinds of problems with the finish on your car. If you use a touchless wash you won't have to worry about the tow hook license plate being ripped off, or the paint on your car.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

What color is your car? The reason that I ask is because a brushed/fabric carwash causes all kinds of problems with the finish on your car. If you use a touchless wash you won't have to worry about the tow hook license plate being ripped off, or the paint on your car.
The car is white.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the time the car will be going through a car wash that is not touchless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.