Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Alfa enthusiasts. I have to say I did the deed and took the train down from Germany to Italy. Left Audi after leasing five of their cars to order a QV as my daily driver. Reliability is my biggest concern for obvious reasons. I heard that these major no start/stop issues were on earlier vin numbers. I am ordering a 2018 and I am prepared to wait six months for the car. I am well aware that the fit and finish in the car is no where near the quality of the German competitors. I am just shocked that they took so many shortcuts the biggest one located smack dab in the middle of the console, a fo-aluminum shift knob.

I ordered the carbon seats which eliminate the seat heaters, not a problem, the seating position is significantly better than the normal seat. The rocking in the mounting bracket for the seat is an awful quirk and a huge oversight. The rocking in the seat exists on both seat versions FYI. Better question is why did they eliminate the heated steering wheel? Did they not want to produce a one off trim piece for a single heated wheel button?!

Also thanks to "that boy asad" we have confirmation of apple and android car play. I am so overwhelmingly nervous about leaving my reliable German friends to vacation Italy.

Do you feel that Alfa is acknowledging the reliability problems or playing them off as if they dont exist, the classic "you are the first we have heard of with this issue"?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi fellow Alfa enthusiasts. I have to say I did the deed and took the train down from Germany to Italy. Left Audi after leasing five of their cars to order a QV as my daily driver. Reliability is my biggest concern for obvious reasons. I heard that these major no start/stop issues were on earlier vin numbers. I am ordering a 2018 and I am prepared to wait six months for the car. I am well aware that the fit and finish in the car is no where near the quality of the German competitors. I am just shocked that they took so many shortcuts the biggest one located smack dab in the middle of the console, a fo-aluminum shift knob.

I ordered the carbon seats which eliminate the seat heaters, not a problem, the seating position is significantly better than the normal seat. The rocking in the mounting bracket for the seat is an awful quirk and a huge oversight. The rocking in the seat exists on both seat versions FYI. Better question is why did they eliminate the heated steering wheel? Did they not want to produce a one off trim piece for a single heated wheel button?!

Also thanks to "that boy asad" we have confirmation of apple and android car play. I am so overwhelmingly nervous about leaving my reliable German friends to vacation Italy.

Do you feel that Alfa is acknowledging the reliability problems or playing them off as if they dont exist, the classic "you are the first we have heard of with this issue"?
I also took the leap and sold my Audi RS4 and picked up my Q two days ago. Once you drive the Q all concerns will be forgotten. It is an amazing vehicle to drive. Personally I find it difficult to take out of Race mode. The sound and performance is so intoxicating....just wait until you try it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Welcome!

You ordered racing seats, but are concerned about not having a heated steering wheel?
Are you planning to use your QV for "Rally on ice" events?:grin2:

Forget Audi, the only German brand that competes with Alfa is Porsche........ Ok, Ok, Ok, not taking in account reliability......

Joking aside, I have a QV on order also and I am Italian with several German cars in my stable.....

Hang in there......

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't agree, Giulia is at least on par as fit and finish with C-Class and A4 and better than 3-series, and quality wise Giulia materials are superior. As for reliability honestly I've seen more german cars with serious reliability issues than Alfas, an issue in the US is the choice of the right dealer, as the dealer network is brand new.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can't argue with rosso competizione, he knows his stuff....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Greetings Noah, glad to hear you are now thinking independently and no longer a blind sheep following the herd...Totally disagree with you about fit and finish...I traded my Audi S 5 for the Quad (I have owned 5 Alfas) and know first hand that Italian cars got a bad rap about reputation that is completely undeserved. The dash top on my Audi was very cheap looking (again S 5, not A 5) in comparison to the Quad. The minimalist approach to the Alfa's interior is quite pleasing aesthetically and the fit and finish is excellent.
Compare paddle shifters between the Audi and the Alfa ....The Audi's are laughable and are not column mounted !!! A HUGE MISTAKE !!....The steering wheel on my Quad (Carbon fiber option) is a work of art..and I opted for the standard sport seats and find them to be amazingly comfortable and adjustable...I hope you ordered the Carbon Ceramic Brakes ...they are worth every penny.....I seem to remember when Audi's were throwing themselves into reverse (unintended acceleration) but they threw enough money at the problem (just like BMW does) and have now created an aura of "UBER QUALITY"....Don't drink the Kool Aid....Every BMW driver will be looking at you ....NOT VICE VERSA !!! You have now become a ROCK STAR !!!!! ENJOY YOUR ALFA !!!! Dr. Dino

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Welcome Noah! I have lost sleep as well but it's from anticipation not worry. In fact, today I just heard from an Alfa Romeo source that delivery seems to be around 6 months for the Quads going to the US. Also, forward collision is standard so I will have the max safety aids for insurance bonuses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. As a member of rennlist (addict status) I am impressed with the quick response from the members on this forum. It's great to know that enthusiastic Alfa owners exist.

I am very excited about the car and have had an opportunity to drive the car twice. Both times were up in the hills of Los Angeles. Cool thing was that I took my fully track prepped Cayman to each test drive so I could compare the feedback, performance, and overall handling of the Alfa to a car that I have built to be a track monster.

The Alfa keeps up. The more input you give the Alfa the deeper it wants to dive into a turn. Trail braking is a dream in this car. Rotating the weight through a turn is perfected by a dif that makes it feel like a rear wheel steer GT3RS. The car is brilliant. It is refined where you want it to be and rough around the edges (shifting in race mode smacks you in the back of the head) which adds enormous amounts personality. This car does things that it should physically not be able to.

As for the the heated steering wheel in relations he the carbon buckets, It's just Alfa being cheap and lazy. I am curious to why you think carbon ceramics brakes are necessary. I am of the mindset that high temp fluid, steel lines, and track compound pads give that bite and fadeless feel of a CCB.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Greetings Noah, glad to hear you are now thinking independently and no longer a blind sheep following the herd...Totally disagree with you about fit and finish... Dr. Dino
Today I had a look at a large group of standard Giulias (about 15). I did observe one exterior fit issue: on two of the cars the rear fascia did not meet up with the rear fenders properly, so that the fascia bulged out unevenly about 1/8 inch (maybe more) beyond being flush with the fender. These were non-sport models.

I have not checked any groups of German cars for comparison, so I cannot say that they are any better. However, I would check for cosmetic problems like this before accepting a vehicle and demand that it be fixed first. Such flaws are not reasonable on a $40+k vehicle (I might make and exception for a Lambo Miura, but this is not that), when a $25k Japanese car does not have such issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Noah,

Here in Europe, I'v had the same comments about Alfa Romeo and italian cars when I purchased my first one. 20 years after and 6 (7?) Alfas successively in my garage, I made my mind : don't listen, enjoy the drive! I bought most of them at +150,000 km for a symbolic price, but none of them let me on the side of the road. I drive the Giulia's predecessor (Alfa 159 Sportwagon) since 7 years and 80'000 troublefree kilometers => obviously the Giulia is in my mind, because it is a real Alfa with the dynamics and the panache. Unfortunately for me, here a "TI" (Veloce) is closer to 55k$ than to 40k$!! Keep us posted and all the best while waiting ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.. I know this feeling all too well.. now beings the relentless daily youtube video search, and googling for any new articles.. dont worry it will be here before you know it. My advice is to stay tuned to this wonderful forum.. So much sound advice and great people.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Bottom line its a fantastic car that will not disappoint you!

There are a few growing pains and issues that popped up initially but the majority of them seem to be eliminated with the last software update.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Carbon Ceramic Brakes

I am curious to why you think carbon ceramics brakes are necessary. I am of the mindset that high temp fluid, steel lines, and track compound pads give that bite and fadeless feel of a CCB.[/QUOTE]

Because "I drive it like I stole it" on the street !!!!! >:)

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also took the leap and sold my Audi RS4 and picked up my Q two days ago. Once you drive the Q all concerns will be forgotten. It is an amazing vehicle to drive. Personally I find it difficult to take out of Race mode. The sound and performance is so intoxicating....just wait until you try it.
Race mode is awesome, as long as you're cool with the 14 MPG. On long highway trips, I started trying out the Advanced Efficiency mode and over 300 miles of driving have repeatedly averaged 27 MPG, and once even pegged 29.5 MPG.

I couldn't care less about MPGs but was curious to see how effective the cylinder deactivation actually is, and am shocked by it's efficiency. This car is SO much more versatile than my old F80 M3.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am curious to why you think carbon ceramics brakes are necessary. I am of the mindset that high temp fluid, steel lines, and track compound pads give that bite and fadeless feel of a CCB.
Because "I drive it like I stole it" on the street !!!!! >:)[/QUOTE]

For 99.9% of people, CCB are just a bar room bragging right, not a necessity on the street, or even on thr track, unless your name is Chris Harris.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
641 Posts
Race mode is awesome, as long as you're cool with the 14 MPG. On long highway trips, I started trying out the Advanced Efficiency mode and over 300 miles of driving have repeatedly averaged 27 MPG, and once even pegged 29.5 MPG
MC3456, 14 MPG is all I ever got with my V8 RS4. I have ordered a controller (see my Flaps Open... thread) that will give me the race sound even in Eco if I want it. I figure the controller will pay for itself that way as I won't need to always be in race for the aural symphony.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Because "I drive it like I stole it" on the street !!!!! >:)

For 99.9% of people, CCB are just a bar room bragging right, not a necessity on the street, or even on thr track, unless your name is Chris Harris.
Well then, one can also say:

"For 99.9% of people, QV is just a bar room bragging right, not a necessity on the street, or even on the track, unless your name is Chris Harris"

Dino enjoy your CCB, if you want to track your QV let me know.....:wink2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Here in Europe, I'v had the same comments about Alfa Romeo and italian cars when I purchased my first one. 20 years after and 6 (7?) Alfas successively in my garage, I made my mind : don't listen, enjoy the drive! I bought most of them at +150,000 km for a symbolic price, but none of them let me on the side of the road. I drive the Giulia's predecessor (Alfa 159 Sportwagon) since 7 years and 80'000 troublefree kilometers => obviously the Giulia is in my mind, because it is a real Alfa with the dynamics and the panache. Unfortunately for me, here a "TI" (Veloce) is closer to 55k$ than to 40k$!! Keep us posted and all the best while waiting ;)
I will be going to Switzerland later this year and will be curious to see how many more Alfas I will spot than here in FCA's backyard.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well then, one can also say:

"For 99.9% of people, QV is just a bar room bragging right, not a necessity on the street, or even on the track, unless your name is Chris Harris"

Dino enjoy your CCB, if you want to track your QV let me know.....:wink2:
Possibly for 80% regarding owning a QV, but on the street, CCB have proven to offer no discernible advantage for the cost. Most people buy them just because they think they are "cool". If you covered up the wheels, and did not tell anyone, practically no one would be able to tell the difference on the street...other than the initial lack of bite and squealing when cold.

Reactions: John_K_348
1 - 20 of 28 Posts