Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up dreaming about cyber Monday lusso exhaust from madness. Talked myself out of it. A nosy coworker noticed my screen and we started chatting exhausts. I showed him the monza lusso comparison video. 30 min later i ordered the monza.... Gosh i need to be restrained...

However can't wait to get it now! 1 week apparently.

Actually I've been struggling with this decision til late late night for many nights so I'm glad i got it out of my system. I'll go sleep early now so i can dream... :)

Carbon tips

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one order too for TI Q4. Now I am worried about hearing the OEM exhaust has to be cut in half to be removed. Also I am worried if the OEM exhaust has 02 sensors in it and the Madness may not? I don't want ECM lights going off.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
On the US 2.0T, the stock exhaust has a slip fitting just a couple of feet in front of the rear axle. Removing the stock unit is finicky, and in my case required the removal of the muffler undertray, a side stiffening panel and the passenger valence tip. Having done that, the rear section of the factory exhaust drops right out (and is sitting on the shop floor right now...pictures and weight later). The total time for the removal, in a shop with an expert, was about 30-45 minutes and two people. The hanger locations are a bit tricky to access, and they haven’t done a Giulia before. They said next time it’ll be a 20 minute job.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put it on tonight. Sounds very aggressive and I love it, but the sound is hard to tame.

I have a wife and 2 young kids and I'm a bit worried it's too loud for the occasional weekend outing. I'll test it with them tomorrow and see if i get an earful (from wife)!

I wasn't able to accelerate without major cabin sound even in A mode. Once going it's fine in low revs. I can control sound better in manual mode. I may have to not downshift either with fam in car.

Idle from cold start is crazy loud. It died down to low levels tho once warmed up.

I wish I had gotten Lusso as I may have overstretched. We'll see over the next week. I've only driven like 20 minutes so far.
When I'm alone tho like i was tonight it's great! Very aggressive roar and super fun!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sounds pretty much identical to my muffler delete result. The cold start noise is related to the 1200-1300 rpm high idle. Since I startup and then almost immediately put it in gear, the noise is greatly reduced. I find that in normal driving, the portion of time spent with noise vs peace is about 10%-90%, and that seems acceptable to the family.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so here's my review after 7 days:

I last posted after driving 20 minutes. The first sound i heard after install was obviously the cold start. Holy it's loud. Giulia already had a loud cold start with stock exhaust and this initial sound shocked me. It quiets down to very normal levels after 2 minutes. It sounded so great tho but so loud in comparison to stock. (I remembered tho the quiet stock sound was the reason that I ordered this exhaust to begin with) i also park in a parkade with my exhaust facing a wall so I'm sure that amplified the sound when I got home and further messed with my judgement.

The next day I took my wife into young kids to a shopping mall. I was very worried and self-conscious that my wife would notice the loud sound. I was also worried my kids would complain about it. It actually turns out that I was the only one who noticed it and I was being extremely self-conscious. As a matter of fact the only thing that my wife noticed was that everyone was checking out my car and she actually liked the attention. She's not a car person so tho just FYI, and had also not commented on the other 10 to 15 things I've done.

I then took many different friends around on several occasions and got purely positive response from all. Apparently it sounded perfect, especially for the type of car it is. I had them accelerate past me, rip it past me, and downshift hard in front of me. It all just sounded so awesome.

Not annoying, not overly loud. Loud yes, but not over the top at all. It's at the upper edge of perfect. Also at cruising, you hear almost nothing. The only time it's really loud other than cold start, is when you gun it, which is when it's supposed to be roaring anyways.

The sound gives me extreme happiness. Only mentally i had convinced myself it was too loud.

The night of the install, I had actually contacted Madness and asked for options to get a lusso and they really sympathized and said that they would help me figure out options since they didn't want me to be "stuck" with it. That was such a nice gesture and i was pretty sure i was going to take them up on it for a few days.

However in the past 3 days I've really become accustomed to the sound and have listened to it from outside the car a lot. I've gotten a lot of people's opinions. Based on all this and the smile it brings to my face, i must keep it. Suddenly I feel the lusso would disappoint.

So I do highly recommend this exhaust. Be prepared to be shocked! Cuz that stock exhaust is so so quiet. But don't let it scare you away. It's a beautiful roar! Thanks Madness!

Ps i took videos but seriously the sound isn't going to be proper. It sounds great on video but it's not really indicative of what it is in real life. Im ok to upload them if u guys want but plz explain how to. I tried to attach a video file from my phone but it doesnt seem to work like how my photos work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cool. I don't care much for the muffler deletes a lot of people have shared. I prefer a smoother, deeper tone. It's hard to capture with a cell phone video though. You could always upload the video to YouTube and post the link

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Interesting videos. Unfortunately the weather hasn’t cooperated to get some more shorts of takeoff and driveby like I hoped. While I would agree there is a slightly deeper tone on this exhaust vs the muffler delete, it doesn’t strike me as that significant.

Clarifying my result some more, the drone I thought I heard at 1600-1800 rpm seems not to be a factor. While there is some additional noise in that range, it is related to throttle position and seems rare. The startup rpm is closer to 1300-1400 and definately loud (especially when cold), but I assume the other exhausts are similar.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.

I decided it was too loud for daily driving. It's not so loud as it is angry-sounding. Very menacing but beautiful at the same time. I needed something tamer for my actual life.

So i ordered the Lusso resonator for $100 and got it put in. I'm very happy with the compromise. In fact, it's still beastly and it makes me realize just how loud the monza was. I think I've found the sweet spot now and I'm pretty lucky that i got to try both set ups and ended up with what's probably the right one for me for my lifestyle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw your posting - so now that you have had the Lusso on a few weeks, did you make the right decision on the resonator? On the fence and trying to figure out Lusso v. Monza. Would be nice to have a few vid's of your Lusso like you did for the Monza. From what little video out there on the Lusso, I take it the Lusso is a bit deeper and not as "shrill" on acceleration. How are the over run burbles and pops comparatively? Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Disclaimer: Everyone has a different lifestyle so i can only comment on mine.

Lusso is definitely still loud enough. Monza sounds angry. Lusso sounds "refined" (lol). It's actually the best word to describe it.

Monza cold start will frighten anything under 100lbs. Lusso will still set off car alarms if I drive thru my parkade without warming up properly. (2min). Once warm tho it's perfect.

I'm going to make a video but the weather in Vancouver is still going to be bad for a while. First sunny day I'll do it so maybe feb 9 or 10 (seriously).

Monza is probably the one Id choose in my early 20's when I didn't care about anything but the smile on my face. Or if i lived in the countryside. The main issues I ran into was warming up the car with my kids or wife nearby. I also know for sure my neighbors thought it was way too loud. And I got a ticket for sound and speeding, just from the sound actually(I'm disputing). Great head turner. But i found myself driving so much slower because of the heaty sound. Major issue was when i kept going over to a buddys home in the night... Because when I leave at like 11pm and warm up my car on a quiet suburban sidestreet... Not considerate at all, and i do care about the fellow man...

So Lusso is best for me. 41yo, wife, kids age 4&7. Park in a parkade. Professional job so prefer to appear responsible-ish. The sound is still beautiful and the tones are smooth. The 8 gears really help the exhaust sing. Same burp on 1st to 2nd when gunning it. Minor gurgles still but again, sounds refined (under control) whereas the monza sounds like it wants to murder someone (btw it's a beautiful murder sound, really. For an aggressive race car sound get Monza)

Daily driver: Lusso is probably still at upper range of what i personally feel is acceptable. If i could start all over, I'd still get the Lusso tho. The exhaust sounds so great, last night i took a 120km(75mile) detour on the way home! Lol (don't tell my wife)

Another option id consider is a quieter axleback with a V2 air filter to make up for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome, many thanks for the reply. At least you aren't regretting the Lusso and longing for the Monza after a couple of weeks of the Lusso. Amazing how it got so calm after warm up.

I hear you on the Monza and your 20's - had a Roush Mustang with race cans and long tube headers (actually I think I was in my late 30's). You could hear it 2 miles down the road and yes, neighbors, didn't like it when I left the house at 6am in the morning for work.

Glad to hear the Lusso is "refined" but still beastly. I'm looking for that classic Tubi style sound - refined but nasty when you want to be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had to pick between the Monza and the Lusso a few weeks ago. My wife and I listened to both side by side at Madness and went for rides in their Giulias to compare both.

I was leaning towards the Monza and my wife was leaning toward the Lusso. She brought up 1) my age, 2) neighbors complaining, 3) Our HOA.

Since she was on board for us spending a lot of money I went for the Lusso and am absolutely glad we did. Sounds aggressive enough and both of us couldn't be happier with the sound. Can't go wrong either way however!

Reactions: Roo and F1LOCO

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice. It is not a fart can or a busted pipe. Good job and enjoy the music. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts