Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm going to buy one for the first time. Can someone recommend me one from Amazon?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I use a Rupes long throw for larger painted areas (hood, fenders, roof, etc) Sorry, forget the model #

Also have a Porter Cable with a smaller head for doing tighter areas.

Not one tool fits all circumstances. I find that by having both of the above it is fairly easy to do most any car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use the Porter Cable 7424 with 6 inch yellow and orange Lake County pads and Menzerna polish. I apply paint sealer by hand but a jeweling pad such as a red or gold pad by Lake County with wax could be used. There's a company from FL with "geek" and "auto" in their name which will answer all your needs (no affiliation but I attest to their super fast shipping).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Code:
I use the Porter Cable 7424 with 6 inch yellow and orange Lake County pads and Menzerna polish. I apply paint sealer by hand but a jeweling pad such as a red or gold pad by Lake County with wax could be used. There's a company from FL with "geek" and "auto" in their name which will answer all your needs (no affiliation but I attest to their super fast shipping).
7424 was the standard in the industry for years ... still use my 3rd one some 23 years later. When it dies, I'll probably get a RUPES or
whatever else is out then, fancy and new.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The 7424 is pretty durable but I'm probably headed towards my third for leaving it on "6" for a little too long all the time - gotta remember to let it cool down. Then again usually the pads self-destruct first. I know, I know, if I'm using it that way I really should have a buffer not a random orbital....

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The 7424 is pretty durable but I'm probably headed towards my third for leaving it on "6" for a little too long all the time - gotta remember to let it cool down. Then again usually the pads self-destruct first. I know, I know, if I'm using it that way I really should have a buffer not a random orbital....
That's some funny stuff about the self-destructo pads... I've done the same! I tend to use too much product and the pad becomes overly saturated... then, using too much pressure... blam! Exploding foam.

Moved to Chemical Guys pads and using less product now. Pads survive more better now

Reactions: rjmcinnis
1 - 10 of 10 Posts