Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting antsy for track season. I'd like to take my QV out and cut it loose, but my all-season Continentals probably aren't the best choice for track tires. I want a set of 18" wheels and tires that I can swap out for track use. Has anyone found any cheap 18s that will fit the QV? I don't care what they look like, I'd use steelies if they were an option.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
a cheaper wheel might break on impact more easily, but I'd say that's typically past the concern for a blowout.
steel, if it was available, is good for absorbing impact without destruction, and in that regard would be a good choice.
likewise I'm sure there are quality high speed rated tires that don't have maximum traction and maximum wear rates, so a bad choice for a well funded racer, but a good choice for improving ones skills or times on a budget.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am of the idea that on a 80K car, what is another 3K to get OEM tires and wheels that could be used for track and spring/summer set up? (If living in area with snow in the winter.......)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am of the idea that on a 80K car, what is another 3K to get OEM tires and wheels that could be used for track and spring/summer set up? (If living in area with snow in the winter.......)
I'd argue the opposite--since I spent $80k on a car, I have even less tolerance for spending more money on extra wheels and tires. And I don't need a summer set, I want a set just for track/drag strip use. And I want 18s because the tires are so much cheaper than 19s, plus more sidewall.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Check these out. Terrific value for the price, and they're lightweight! I have the 17x8's and they look and work great.

http://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Fast+Wheels/FC04A

Depending on the size you want (you'll want the 5x110 bolt pattern) they run about $200 per wheel. If you munch one on the track it's not a big hit like an $800 wheel.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'd argue the opposite--since I spent $80k on a car, I have even less tolerance for spending more money on extra wheels and tires. And I don't need a summer set, I want a set just for track/drag strip use. And I want 18s because the tires are so much cheaper than 19s, plus more sidewall.
Fair enough......

Reactions: BGorilla

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Not sure of Fitment Sizes...

https://www.apexraceparts.com/

these are exceptional rims...lightweight, durable, and modest in cost....had a set on my E36M3...ran 18x8.5 on all corners....think I paid somewhere around $275 rim and I had Big Brake Brembos on the car that were the size of the those on the QV.
I prefer 18's on a track car myself as well....more tire choices...usually less weight.....
let us know how you make out please!:grin2:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Nice but are you guys certain the 18s will fit over the Quads big steel brakes? The tolerance to the caliper face is very tight but from the caliper edge to the wheel barrel, is there enough room? I guess we have about 1 half inch to work with going down from a 19 to an 18 inch wheel?

My tax refund is looking pretty good as I work on it this week. From my charitable deductions and some loss carryover from investments, I may be able to pull the trigger on a winter set sooner rather than later. Maybe take advantage of clearance prices?

Ack! But bodywork on the Miata was really the plan in the first place. :( First world problems ;)

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
806 Posts
too bad no 5 x 110 bolt patterns!

https://www.apexraceparts.com/

these are exceptional rims...lightweight, durable, and modest in cost....had a set on my E36M3...ran 18x8.5 on all corners....think I paid somewhere around $275 rim and I had Big Brake Brembos on the car that were the size of the those on the QV.
I prefer 18's on a track car myself as well....more tire choices...usually less weight.....
let us know how you make out please!:grin2:
do they do custom drilling? That might solve missing fitment problem.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if I stayed staggered, I would need 18x8.5 on the front and 18x10 on the rear, all with a 5x110 bolt pattern... Right? Those don't seem to be very common sizes for wheels.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
So if I stayed staggered, I would need 18x8.5 on the front and 18x10 on the rear, all with a 5x110 bolt pattern... Right? Those don't seem to be very common sizes for wheels.
The factory specs for the stock wheels on a QV are 19x8.5 front with a 34mm offset, and 19x10 rear with a 41mm offset. I believe the fronts with the factory tires weigh 51.5 lbs, and the rears weigh 58 lbs. The center bore is 65.1 mm. The factory tires weigh 24 lbs front, and 27 lbs rear. This means the front wheels weigh approximately 27.5 lbs without tire, and the rears weigh 31 lbs without tire.

That link I posted for the FC04 wheels shows they have an 18x9 which weighs 19 lbs, and an 18x10 that weighs 20.2 lbs; both are listed at $200.99 each.

The 18x9's are available in an offset of either 30mm or 40mm. 30 moves the wheel out, 40 moves it in. I'm not familiar with the wheel well clearance for the QV so you'd have to decide where you have more room to go, in or out. If the 30 would stick out too far, the 40 with a 5mm spacer would put you at 35mm which is 1mm within stock and should work fine.

For the rears, they show an 18x10 with offsets of 35 or 45. The 35 would stick out 6mm farther, if you have the fender well clearance. The 45 would go 4mm farther in, so a 5mm spacer for those would put you at 40 which is 1 mm farther out than stock. I don't see any problem with being within 1mm of stock offset. The biggest issue is probably brake clearance.

For tires, for example on the 18 inch fronts Tirerack shows a Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in a 225/45ZR18 ($227.20) which is extremely close in dimensions to the factory tire. The Michelin weighs 22 lbs. For the 18 inch rears, they show a 255/40ZR18 ($244.26) which is also extremely close in dimensions to the factory tire, and it weighs 25 lbs. The same Michelin tire for the factory wheels runs $255.97 front, and $258.97 rear. Going to the smaller wheel saves you about $28 for each front tire, and about $14 for each rear tire.

So for comparison:

Factory 19x8.5 front wheel = 27.5 lbs, tire = 24 lbs. Factory combo = 51.5 lbs
Fast FC04 18x9 front wheel = 19 lbs, Michelin tire = 22 lbs. FC04 combo = 41 lbs

With the Fast wheel combo you would be saving approximately 10.5 lbs of unsprung rotating weight on the front compared to the factory wheel.

Factory 19x10 rear wheel = 31 lbs, tire = 27 lbs. Factory combo = 58 lbs.
Fast FC04 18x10 rear wheel = 20.2 lbs, Michelin tire = 25 lbs. FC04 combo = 45.2 lbs.

With the Fast wheel combo you would be saving approximately 12.8 lbs compared to the factory setup.

Saving 10.5 lbs in the front and 12.8 lbs in the rear per wheel is a HUGE improvement. For a track set, this offers about the best bang for the buck I know of. In fact, once you drive the car with them, you may want to keep them on the car. You'll definitely feel the difference going back to the heavier factory wheels.

With regards to the FAST wheels, they're not a well-known brand so they can't charge a premium price (yet). However, when I received the wheels I ordered, I was extremely impressed with the quality. The finish of the Titanium is a beautiful high-quality gun-metal metallic flake with a finish that's "winter-approved" so it's rugged and durable. The casting is not a cheap, soft-edges casting; it's clean, crisp and precise. This is a quality wheel.

Not many make wheels in the 5x110 pattern unless you want to spend a lot of money on custom wheels. The FC04's I listed have a larger center bore than the Giulia uses, so you'll need to tell 1010 tires you need centering rings. I recommend calling them to order if you decide to order. The person I dealt with was Steve and he was great.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The factory specs for the stock wheels on a QV are 19x8.5 front with a 34mm offset, and 19x10 rear with a 41mm offset. I believe the fronts with the factory tires weigh 51.5 lbs, and the rears weigh 58 lbs. The center bore is 65.1 mm. The factory tires weigh 24 lbs front, and 27 lbs rear. This means the front wheels weigh approximately 27.5 lbs without tire, and the rears weigh 31 lbs without tire.

That link I posted for the FC04 wheels shows they have an 18x9 which weighs 19 lbs, and an 18x10 that weighs 20.2 lbs; both are listed at $200.99 each.

The 18x9's are available in an offset of either 30mm or 40mm. 30 moves the wheel out, 40 moves it in. I'm not familiar with the wheel well clearance for the QV so you'd have to decide where you have more room to go, in or out. If the 30 would stick out too far, the 40 with a 5mm spacer would put you at 35mm which is 1mm within stock and should work fine.

For the rears, they show an 18x10 with offsets of 35 or 45. The 35 would stick out 6mm farther, if you have the fender well clearance. The 45 would go 4mm farther in, so a 5mm spacer for those would put you at 40 which is 1 mm farther out than stock. I don't see any problem with being within 1mm of stock offset. The biggest issue is probably brake clearance.

For tires, for example on the 18 inch fronts Tirerack shows a Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in a 225/45ZR18 ($227.20) which is extremely close in dimensions to the factory tire. The Michelin weighs 22 lbs. For the 18 inch rears, they show a 255/40ZR18 ($244.26) which is also extremely close in dimensions to the factory tire, and it weighs 25 lbs. The same Michelin tire for the factory wheels runs $255.97 front, and $258.97 rear. Going to the smaller wheel saves you about $28 for each front tire, and about $14 for each rear tire.

So for comparison:

Factory 19x8.5 front wheel = 27.5 lbs, tire = 24 lbs. Factory combo = 51.5 lbs
Fast FC04 18x9 front wheel = 19 lbs, Michelin tire = 22 lbs. FC04 combo = 41 lbs

With the Fast wheel combo you would be saving approximately 10.5 lbs of unsprung rotating weight on the front compared to the factory wheel.

Factory 19x10 rear wheel = 31 lbs, tire = 27 lbs. Factory combo = 58 lbs.
Fast FC04 18x10 rear wheel = 20.2 lbs, Michelin tire = 25 lbs. FC04 combo = 45.2 lbs.

With the Fast wheel combo you would be saving approximately 12.8 lbs compared to the factory setup.

Saving 10.5 lbs in the front and 12.8 lbs in the rear per wheel is a HUGE improvement. For a track set, this offers about the best bang for the buck I know of. In fact, once you drive the car with them, you may want to keep them on the car. You'll definitely feel the difference going back to the heavier factory wheels.

With regards to the FAST wheels, they're not a well-known brand so they can't charge a premium price (yet). However, when I received the wheels I ordered, I was extremely impressed with the quality. The finish of the Titanium is a beautiful high-quality gun-metal metallic flake with a finish that's "winter-approved" so it's rugged and durable. The casting is not a cheap, soft-edges casting; it's clean, crisp and precise. This is a quality wheel.

Not many make wheels in the 5x110 pattern unless you want to spend a lot of money on custom wheels. The FC04's I listed have a larger center bore than the Giulia uses, so you'll need to tell 1010 tires you need centering rings. I recommend calling them to order if you decide to order. The person I dealt with was Steve and he was great.
Good God man. I feel like I have to tip you or something. Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it. I'll give them a call and get it figured out. I guess we can shut this thread down now.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
A few major points:

Tecnicos weigh 19.25 pounds front 20.25 pounds rear according to the manufacturer. The 5 holes for QV weigh something like 25 pounds front and 28 pounds rear, I seem to remember one of the forum vendors measured the weights of the QV 5 holes and published them here.

If you have CCM, only 19" or larger wheels will fit. According to MacGeek, 18"s will clear the iron brakes on QV just barely and only some designs.

Although Michelin PS Cup tires in 245 40R18 weigh 22 pounds, so do Michelin PS Cup tires in 245 35R19. There is a $65/tire price difference though.

BBS and Carbonrevolution might be able to make light weight wheels in 19" for your CCM equipped QV (both have BMW compatible offerings in the 17 pound range), but either will be pretty pricey (a BMW wheel set is around $12000-13000). BBS R series forged aluminum wheels have very difficult to implement drilling to achieve lighter weight than the competitors. Carbonrevolution wheels are CF layup (not pre-preg) carbon fiber and an option on the Ford GT350R.

8.5" wide wheels seem to be a bit narrow for the 245 fronts. I would think 9" would be a better fit, particularly for track use.

I've been looking for light weight 18x9.5 for my Q4 setup, but it seems that most of the focus on light weight wheels is on 19" and larger.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts