Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner, just picked up my car last week. 2018 Ti Sport, fully loaded. Red with black interior and the 5 hole wheels. Love it so far. The infotainment is taking some getting used to though. I am sure once I get the hang of it, it'll be fine. I came from being a long time Jag owner so I am used to quirks. Doesn't bug me as much as some people, at least once I figure them out

I have searched, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Are any of you aware of any tutorials on line, for operating Android Auto, specifically in these cars with no touch screen. I was using waze my first day driving it and some how I got to a screen to input the destination, and I couldn't get out of it. There was an icon in the upper left part of the screen that looked like it would go to a menu screen but I could not figure out how to get to that "button", nor could I get out of the screen to input the destination, even after I was able to input it by voice command.

I will say, the voice command feature works a lot better than my Jags. I never used it, because it never understood any command I gave it. No touch screen really seems odd though in a 2018 car. but at least I don't have to worry about all the finger print smudges all over the screen constantly, like my old car. Always good to try to find the bright side of things!! lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
I plugged my phone in once to check out AA and haven't done it again. Found it very clumsy and not very straight forward with figure out how to use google maps. Seems really easy for listening to music from your phone but other than that, not sure. Might try it out again at some point but I would rather just drive then sit there playing around with things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a terrible, terrible system. Why they didn't just use UConnect is beyond me, but what amounts to a first-generation iDrive module in an otherwise stellar car in 2018 is the biggest knock on the Giulia, in my opinion.

I use Android Auto because I like to have Waze on the nav screen while commuting so that I'm warned of speed traps; I have my common destinations loaded into favorites (which I entered on the phone, not through AA in the car), and it's relatively easy to access them by pushing the toggle wheel to the left and then scrolling to the appropriate one. To enter a new destination, push up (and then sometimes press in the toggle wheel to begin inputting text, though sometimes you don't have to), but I find that crashes the system maybe one time out of three - and even if it works, you're spelling things out using the toggle wheel. Ugh.

The best solution is usually voice control, which fortunately works quite well understanding destination names in my experience, though I attribute this to Google (as Android Auto runs on your phone itself, and just outputs the screen to the car) rather than Alfa Romeo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts