Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying for a year to get a answer to what is the POLICY in the USA for map updates?

Not that a new map is coming out, (was told that just now from "Alfa Cares") in every other car I have purchased it stated a time period for free maps or a price for a new map, like Sirius free for a year. First it was promised apple car/android auto would be a update for 2017's, that turned out to BS.

Spending $950 for the upgraded infotainment with Nav, I drive around (have over 18k miles) with a 2 year old map that sometimes I have to pull out my phone taking my eye off the road to find out where I'm going.

So my question to FCA/Alfa WHY IS THE USA OWNERS TREATED DIFFERENT THEN EUROPE (they download maps to usb and install them selves) AND WHAT IS THE POLICY REGARDING MAP UPDATES (time frame, cost)?

Would like a answer here in a public forum.

·
Registered
691 Posts
While I commend you for your effort, don't hold your breath. I doubt any representative from FCA/Alfa is going to put forth an official policy on a public forum.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
402 Posts
Does this mean we should sell our cars quickly while we still can?
do whatever you want with it. Why would you sell it if it won't be around. could be a collectors item. perhaps your dealer will continue to service them. You seem to have great luck w/ your vehicle, so enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've got to admit that I'm rather disappointed with the Sat-Nav in my 17 Ti, and we paid an extra $500 for that option. But, it's not a deal breaker for me. We both love the way the car drives, and we bought her so we could drive her, and we drive her.

As to map upgrades, have you contacted your dealer yet? Direct contact with your dealer would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
do whatever you want with it. Why would you sell it if it won't be around. could be a collectors item. perhaps your dealer will continue to service them. You seem to have great luck w/ your vehicle, so enjoy it!
Yep. I just think that there are some lemons out there and I have known lots of folks walk away from BMW, Lexus, Benz because of repair issues. For me I am still good with warranty repairs for 8 years. I will worry about it then. Stelvio MY2018 is the first year. Give it a break. Never buy a MY uno if you don't have the stomach for it. I am looking at Q5, forget Lexus ugly plastic grills REALLY, Volvo is challenged but think it is a good car, Benz G series NO priced in the 80's, not interested in Porsche repair bills/maintenance, iDrive maybe but ticket goes up rather quickly with packages. I am not doing anything with my QV just looking for a small SUV crossover AWD. Land Rover Velar is also steep in price and quirks are questionable but really like that one a lot.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got to admit that I'm rather disappointed with the Sat-Nav in my 17 Ti, and we paid an extra $500 for that option. But, it's not a deal breaker for me. We both love the way the car drives, and we bought her so we could drive her, and we drive her.

As to map upgrades, have you contacted your dealer yet? Direct contact with your dealer would be my suggestion.
Yes, more than once in the past year.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I commend you for your effort, don't hold your breath. I doubt any representative from FCA/Alfa is going to put forth an official policy on a public forum.

Whats a official if not public?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Been trying for a year to get a answer to what is the POLICY in the USA for map updates?

Alfa does read the forums, as does FCA and every car manufacturer. In fact, I'll venture to say that they read the forums of their competitors as well. AR will never make a post on any of these forums, ever. They won't ever admit to reading these forum.

I was quite surprised when @AlfaRomeoCares showed up here offering customer support. I don't actually know what AlfaRomeoCares does as they do their actual help via PM. They're still silent on the 4C forum, no help there, only Giulia help, maybe Stelvio help too.

But, you are expecting the impossible when demanding that AR make a public statement about anything.

·
Registered
691 Posts
C'mon, don't be obtuse....They're not going to post anything regarding policy changes on a forum. It would be in the form of an official legalese document, on an officially sponsored Alfa Romeo Website, or in the form of an RRT to the dealer network. FCA's legal department wouldn't allow it for a minute.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm not sure why Alfa wanted to use a custom ROM/image for the US. I still find it strange that any car company even wants to put a nav unit in a car! If you go look at JD Power surveys the majority of the negative reviews are over navi. In fact, it was recently they added a whole new category to handle these they got so many.

If I was the head of engineering I'd say screw that and just put in the current version of AA or CarPlay, get it certified by the 3rd party company (which they will do), and then pass the buck onto Apple or Google.

But, I doubt we will ever see an update again, not for the 17s anyway. The '17 USDM Giulia is a throw away, an island, a deprecated model. I have a feeling the '18 may be too.

In the end, the '19 or 2020 may be the only sustainable ones.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I sometimes think people who vent about these momentous problems -- $1K nav upgrades, $800 or whatever plug replacements -- live in an alternative reality. My Ti is a March '17 build and so had the older, less desirable software suite. I recently paid a whopping $180 -- one hour of shop time -- to upgrade it to the latest software. When I bought the car, I bought the 48K maintenance plan for about an extra $18 a month over the 60 months finance term. All my maintenance is covered for the warranty period for the cost of a couple lunches a month. Why is this so hard for some people?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
Yep. I just think that there are some lemons out there and I have known lots of folks walk away from BMW, Lexus, Benz because of repair issues. For me I am still good with warranty repairs for 8 years. I will worry about it then. Stelvio MY2018 is the first year. Give it a break. Never buy a MY uno if you don't have the stomach for it. I am looking at Q5, forget Lexus ugly plastic grills REALLY, Volvo is challenged but think it is a good car, Benz G series NO priced in the 80's, not interested in Porsche repair bills/maintenance, iDrive maybe but ticket goes up rather quickly with packages. I am not doing anything with my QV just looking for a small SUV crossover AWD. Land Rover Velar is also steep in price and quirks are questionable but really like that one a lot.
The worst that I know of is a VW Vanagon. At least the model my parents made the mistake of buying had a Porsche engine in it. The engine was not happy living behind the air blocking, strain inducing oversize van body AND you get to pay Porsche prices to make repairs while of course, you are driving a Vanagon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Navs have been around since 1998 or so. Automatic (or free) map updates is new(s to me). I think the answer lieth in the average length of time a person owns a car in the modern age. It used to only be 3-4 years (and with a high proportion of leasing going on it still is). From a company's marketing position this limits their incentive to support a number of "needs". Purchased cars are now held longer upwards of 7-8 years. Either way it seems to me one map up date in a 7-8 year period is all that is needed. Lest one forget (as the Brits say) some large companies such as BMW (and Range Rover as they were tied together) no longer support map upgrades in their older generation cars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Navs have been around since 1998 or so. Automatic (or free) map updates is new(s to me). I think the answer lieth in the average length of time a person owns a car in the modern age. It used to only be 3-4 years (and with a high proportion of leasing going on it still is). From a company's marketing position this limits their incentive to support a number of "needs". Purchased cars are now held longer upwards of 7-8 years. Either way it seems to me one map up date in a 7-8 year period is all that is needed. Lest one forget (as the Brits say) some large companies such as BMW (and Range Rover as they were tied together) no longer support map upgrades in their older generation cars.
That was one of the reason why I wanted to have a car with Apple CarPlay. Problem solved. I know for MY2017 it was not an option.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I sometimes think people who vent about these momentous problems -- $1K nav upgrades, $800 or whatever plug replacements -- live in an alternative reality.
Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to others.

My Ti is a March '17 build and so had the older, less desirable software suite. I recently paid a whopping $180 -- one hour of shop time -- to upgrade it to the latest software.
Weren't you updated to a newer version of the Infotainment software for free under RRT 17-052? It is terrible customer service to make customers pay for routine software updates during the warranty period. I'm not saying they can't do this. It's well within their rights. But it is a terrible policy, especially when automakers know they release software on their vehicles that is full of bugs and glitches that can only be remedied through routine software updates.

When I bought the car, I bought the 48K maintenance plan for about an extra $18 a month over the 60 months finance term. All my maintenance is covered for the warranty period for the cost of a couple lunches a month. Why is this so hard for some people?
Does your maintenance plan cover map updates? Have you read the fine print? Did you know that your local or preferred dealer doesn't have to honor your Mopar service contract? Did you know they can charge you the difference between their actual retail pricing and the Mopar service contract reimbursement rate? This isn't like personal health insurance where the in-network provider cannot charge the patient more than the negotiated rate.

·
Registered
460 Posts
"Weren't you updated to a newer version of the Infotainment software for free under RRT 17-052? It is terrible customer service to make customers pay for routine software updates during the warranty period. I'm not saying they can't do this. It's well within their rights. But it is a terrible policy, especially when automakers know they release software on their vehicles that is full of bugs and glitches that can only be remedied through routine software updates."

No, only if there's an issue will they update it per the RRT. I knew what I was buying when I bought, I've no right to complain if they improved the car since. "...full of bugs and glitches..." -- if the software had any glitches I could have got the free update but it wouldn't cooperate; it insisted on being glitch-free.

"Does your maintenance plan cover map updates? Have you read the fine print? Did you know that your local or preferred dealer doesn't have to honor your Mopar service contract? Did you know they can charge you the difference between their actual retail pricing and the Mopar service contract reimbursement rate? This isn't like personal health insurance where the in-network provider cannot charge the patient more than the negotiated rate."

It covers what I bought, which is all the required/suggested mechanical maintenance through 4 yrs/48k miles. The service manager is well-familiar with the contract and confirmed it will require no money out of my pocket. I'll let you know if they try to screw me but don't hold your breath. You and RyanC are of a kind I think. What's life like fretting about everything?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I tend to suspect a lot of the silly noise from folks on here is people buying their first new or their first entry level luxury car.

Hardly. If anything I’d say a lot of the silly noise comes from the many Alfa apologists on this forum who forgive Alfa’s transgressions because they’re so in love with the brand, it’s image, it’s history, it’s entry level “Italian exotic” status, etc.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hardly. If anything I’d say a lot of the silly noise comes from the many Alfa apologists on this forum who forgive Alfa’s transgressions because they’re so in love with the brand, it’s image, it’s history, it’s entry level “Italian exotic” status, etc.
So I state this from a trouble free car but EVERY car off this type I've had has similar or greater issues. People have had bad cars, but seemingly at no higher rate than competitors.

If you have a 2017, well you should have expected higher than normal issues with MY one. That's the way it works for EVERY car. Even Corollas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts