Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a ton of conversations about the less-than-wonderful speakers, but I can't seem to find anyone else with my issue, which is: the ONLY speaker that works in my car is the very front one on the dash. (I have the upgraded HK)

This weekend, for the first time, I had a backseat passenger and she commented that there wasn't any sound in the back. So the front passenger started messing around with the speaker settings and NADA.... zero sound in the back. That's when we realized none of the speakers in the car were working but the very front one. I'm sure I have some setting wrong but, before I call my completely incompetent dealer, I thought I'd check here first, as you guys are WAY more knowledgeable than my dealer.

Not sure if it matters but my car came with tinted windows. All the cars on lot already had it done.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
HK audio + tinted windows = damaged amp

That's the usual reason, back to the dealer for a free replacement with proper shielding. Normal cause, the installer of the tint used too much water and leaked down into the amp and shorted it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^^ Here's another post - (I just copied and pasted here)
Giulia: How to tint
Unfortunately, much like certain Audis a few years back the amp and wires in the trunk are not covered and susceptible to damage from water gliding along the bottom shelf of the rear window when tint is applied. Thanks to this forum and the generous contributions of multiple members (especially billeee) they have provided extremely useful tips on how to do tinting to make sure no damage is done and you’re not in silence for 3 weeks while an amp is on international back order (sorry to those it happened to). Amp is located on the driver side rear of trunk. To remove the trunk liner there are 2 screw fasteners one located on the ceiling of the trunk one on the upper side, remove both of these (I used a flathead screwdriver and pried the screws out and gently pull back the trunk liner as there is some sort of string that you cannot remove. Stuff towels and whatever absorbent items you can around the amp, wires and wherever else you can to avoid getting water on anything. My tint guy also located a small opening which I stuffed a paper towel and taped shut as we think this is where the water will travel down. I did this on the right side as well just to be sure (much easier to access just take off the removable cover.) I also made it very clear to my installer to minimize the amount of water on the bottom rear window shelf. Once all is said and done, leave the towels in there, drive around making a few sharp turns to drain any remaining water still leftover in the shelf. Remove the towels put back the trunk liner and voila!, you’re done. Turn on the radio and if you hear music then you should be good to go. Be sure to tip your tint installer if they went through all of this without any problems.
TL;DR: Tell your tint guy to cover the amp.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,477 Posts
I'm sure I have some setting wrong but, before I call my completely incompetent dealer, I thought I'd check here first, as you guys are WAY more knowledgeable than my dealer.
What a sorry state of affairs.

Not sure if it matters but my car came with tinted windows. All the cars on lot already had it done.
That smacks of "option packing". I'd refuse to pay for something I didn't want.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I know there has been a ton of conversations about the less-than-wonderful speakers, but I can't seem to find anyone else with my issue, which is: the ONLY speaker that works in my car is the very front one on the dash. (I have the upgraded HK)
Having sound coming from only one speaker is probably the reason why you dont personally enjoy the HK sound. :laugh: Just take your car to the dealer to have the amp replaced. Fiddling with the settings will correct the issue... your amp is blown due to water damage from the tint install :frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Alfa 1. My car came with "privacy windows" which is not a tint. Check the rubber seal over the left rear tailgate lights. When your lift the rubber seal and the silver lined amp is visible, the amp may be damaged from water leaking through the crappy seal. The dealer will have to replace the amp and provide a more suitable "housing". My amp blew up because of this design flaw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts