Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start off by giving a huge thanks to @Fabspeed Motorsport. Very professional shop (which was great to tour and see all the cool cars they are currently working on), very safe conditions during covid times, great quality work, friendly people, easy to work with, and I will definitely be going back to them in the future. I had their HFCs installed today, and I got to experience and enjoy their glorious sound on the 100 mile drive home (including some heavenly tunnel blasting); all I can say is WOW!

I now have the Fabspeed HFC coupled with the Centerline x-pipe, Sprint filter, and Forza controller. The car sounds absolutely insane! I know it'll never match the sound of a naturally aspirated, high revving engine, but this setup certainly doesn't disappoint. A catless downpipe would sound a little louder and a little higher pitched, but Fabspeed say their HFC make more power (with a tune), won't cause a CEL or inspection problems, and won't smell.

I know I need a tune to fully take advantage of the performance benefits of the HFC, and I plan to get one as soon as my extended warranty is up in 2025. Until then, I'll be very content with the amazing sound the HFC have to offer; and I swear the car feels a little faster, although I'm sure that's the sound adding 5-10 hp on the butt dyno 馃ぃ
EDIT: Fabspeed confirmed the HFC do indeed make a little more power without a tune; about 5-10% more. Plus I'm sure the x-pipe and filter add a few extra horses as well; so probably about a 30-40hp increase overall with my setup over stock, and I'm sure some extra torque too.

My ultimate sound goal was to get as close to a high pitched race car like sound as possible, and with my current exhaust setup, I think I'm as close as I'm going to get. Catless downpipes would get closer, but I don't want to deal with their trade-offs. I also looked at full catback systems, but the stock system, with the valves open and resonator removed is almost a straight pipe; there is a small resonator in two of the chambers in the muffler, and the bypass is internal (QV muffler diagram). Most of the aftermarket systems are all larger diameter, and while that would make it a little louder than just the x-pipe, it would also make it deeper, which isn't the sound I'm looking for. Plus all of the aftermarket systems have some form of a trade off based on my goals: either larger diameter, h-pipe, resonator, x-pipe in the muffler, and/or internal muffler bypass. The best design in my opinion is the Stradale with an x pipe and external bypass; if only the piping diameter was stock size, or in other words, an axel back offering for their existing x-pipe (@JoeCab) 馃槇

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my setup now. Below are two audio clips Fabspeed took for their marketing; and I will take a comparison cold start dB reading next chance I get. Also this link has clips of my stock exhaust and x-pipe for comparison: QV X-Pipe Exhuast Comparison Video. The rev video below doesn't do the sound nearly as much justice as the drive by video.

If you're planning on getting a tune and HFC but are waiting until your warranty expires because of the tune, then getting the HFC first is a great way to hold you over; I highly recommend them. 馃槍

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Registered
Let me start off by giving a huge thanks to @Fabspeed Motorsport. Very professional shop (which was great to tour and see all the cool cars they are currently working on), very safe conditions during covid times, great quality work, friendly people, easy to work with, and I will definitely be going back to them in the future. I had their HFCs installed today, and I got to experience and enjoy their glorious sound on the 100 mile drive home (including some heavenly tunnel blasting); all I can say is WOW!

I now have the FabSpeed HFC coupled with the Centerline x-pipe, Sprint filter, and Forza controller. The car sounds absolutely insane! I know it'll never match the sound of a naturally aspirated, high revving engine, but this setup certainly doesn't disappoint. A catless downpipe would sound a little louder and a little higher pitched, but Fabspeed say their HFC make more power (with a tune), won't cause a CEL or inspection problems, and won't smell.

I know I need a tune to fully take advantage of the performance benefits of the HFC, and I plan to get one as soon as my extended warranty is up in 2025. Until then, I'll be very content with the amazing sound the HFC have to offer; and I swear the car feels a little faster, although I'm sure that's the sound adding 5-10 hp on the butt dyno 馃ぃ

My ultimate sound goal was to get as close to a high pitched race car like sound as possible, and with my current exhaust setup, I think I'm as close as I'm going to get. Downpipes would get closer, but I don't want to deal with their trade-offs. I also looked at full catback systems, but the stock system, with the valves open and resonator removed is almost a straight pipe; there is a small resonator in two of the chambers in the muffler, and the bypass is internal (QV muffler diagram). Most of the aftermarket systems are all larger diameter, and while that would make it a little louder than just the x-pipe, it would also make it deeper, which isn't the sound I'm looking for. Plus all of the aftermarket systems have some form of a trade off based on my goals: either larger diameter, h-pipe, resonator, x-pipe in the muffler, and/or internal muffler bypass. The best design in my opinion is the Stradale with an x pipe and external bypass; if only the piping diameter was stock size, or in other words, an axel back offering for their existing x-pipe (@JoeCab) 馃槇

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my setup now. Below are two audio clips Fabspeed took for their marketing; and I will take a comparison cold start dB readings next chance I get. The rev video doesn't do the sound as much justice as the drive by video.

If you're planning on getting a tune and HFC but are waiting until your warranty expires because of the tune, then getting the HFC first is a great way to hold you over; I highly recommend them. 馃槍

View attachment 109175
sounds great. Best in business. Enjoy. Ride it hard!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds great. Best in business. Enjoy. Ride it hard!!!!
Thank you. I told the wife were getting take out tonight from a place half an hour from us just so I can drive again.

They mentioned you at the shop by the way :)

Reactions: Alfa Philly

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want HFCs so badly, but I have a wallet to think about.
Once I'm vaccinated, I'll meet up with you guys and you can hear them in person :)

Are these not replacement downpipes with integrated HFC that you installed???
Yes sorry you're right, I used the wrong terminology. I've updated the post; good catch. I meant to type catless dp would get even closer than what I got which are high flow 200 cel cats

Reactions: beaups

Registered
Once I'm vaccinated, I'll meet up with you guys and you can hear them in person :)

Yes sorry you're right, I used the wrong terminology. I've updated the post; good catch. I meant to type catless dp would get even closer than what I got which are high flow 200 cel cats
Ah got it. I thought maybe there was a path to replace the cats only.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah got it. I thought maybe there was a path to replace the cats only.
None that I've come across. Either full catless replacement which is about $1k or hfc which range from $2-4k

Reactions: beaups

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@Avnyc11 how much louder is it now with the valves closed? (Or are you running full-time open?)
I only ever run with the valves open. But on valves open cold start, based on 1 test, this was 10% louder than the xpipe. 85db vs 77db inside the car

I'm going to try a db test tomorrow to measure by the exhaust tip and compare to my prior reading of 111 peak and 102 constant

But I can say it is very quiet with the valves closed. But as you have the milltek exhaust, your closed setting may be louder than stock muffler

Reactions: 626QV

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might just convince me to shell out the $$$$ for the HFC. I like their product. Still on the fence about a tune though. So I'm not sure what you gain with just HFC into a full free-flow exhaust. Ain't FI a bitch!!
So have I convinced you @MDriver? Lol

Reactions: MDriver

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got to test the hfc out on some back roads today and my God does she sing. I couldn't hear any other car on the road and there was a Maserati in front of me which is known for having a great sound. This is how the car should have come from the factory 馃い

And I know it's just butt Dyno, but the car really does feel faster, especially on the back roads. I'm sure my physics are wrong here but I found myself in 4th gear most of the time because if I dropped into 3rd, I'd almost immediately hit redline.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knew you'd love it. Best mod for these cars in addition to MY17/ST springs.

Wait til you tune it. It'll blow your mind how much faster it is.
Yep, you were right 鈽 It almost feels like a new car honestly. And it sounds much raspier now which I love, and of course it's so much louder. It finally sounds (almost) like the Ferrari engine inside of it 馃槇

I have the 17 springs which is as low as I feel comfortable with in NYC, but if I left, ST might be a nice next step

I can't wait for a tune either. I'm counting the years lol

Reactions: 626QV
1 - 20 of 48 Posts