Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard mostly good things about the Quadrifoglio, but one of the reviews pointed out turbo lag in Dynamic mode.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...adrfoglio-autoreview-1124-20161121-story.html

Near the end of the video review there is a demonstration of how it affects driving.

None of the other reviews specifically mentioned about this.

I suspect the Chicago Tribune guys were testing the proto model maybe?

Their review came up last november and the ones that doesn't talks much about the turbo lag all come from this year. Mostly.

Do you think the turbo lag in D mode is a problem with the QV?

·
Registered
134 Posts
After watching that video, a couple thoughts: 1- prob not an abnormal amount of turbo lag, but instead the accelerator programming (lack of initial response from a standing start) as well documented on this forum.
2- they talk about what Alfa needs to improve in order to de-throne the M3... Most every review (on the web or in print) gives the nod to the Giulia QV. And many say it isn't that close of a decision.
3- Only one way to find out....

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a QV and my #1 complaint is the lack of throttle response when accelerating from a standing start. It's kind of like paying a lot of money for a high-powered sportbike, and then after taking it home you soon figure out that you can't even do a wheelie. Anyone buying a high-powered sportbike would like to at least be able to do a wheelie if they wanted to, but it is impossible to do the equivalent of that with this car by "chirping" the tires when starting from a standing stop. This car is absolutely 100% boring and disappointing in the first second (1/60 minute) of acceleration from a standing start.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find in European real world use, e. g. pulling out from junctions and roundabouts in busy traffic, the start in Natural and Dynamic modes is perfect for daily driving. There is a big difference between what feels good, and what works well. On balance, I think the characteristics of the QV work very well for my use case. But I know what you mean; the QV isn't a car I'd want where circumstances favoured a Dodge Demon.

For context, my last car was a Nissan GT-R. So maybe I'm just not fussed about fast launches anymore. The QV can do massive burnouts. That's just as much fun.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'm thinking that, what's the number? 35-38 pounds of peak boost to get you all your ponies is going to give you a wee bit of initial lag...
I have yet to drive an FI car that had the natural instant throttle response of an N/A motor....
is the lag 930 lag?? **** No....even my F80 had that little initial lag...
look all you can do is try and get a test drive....my bet is that if you can...you will buy the car...
I couldn't be happier from a performance perspective with my Quad... @mc3456 just so ya know if your watching...just turned 2400 miles...take that...not that I'm competitive either

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a QV and my #1 complaint is the lack of throttle response when accelerating from a standing start. It's kind of like paying a lot of money for a high-powered sportbike, and then after taking it home you soon figure out that you can't even do a wheelie. Anyone buying a high-powered sportbike would like to at least be able to do a wheelie if they wanted to, but it is impossible to do the equivalent of that with this car by "chirping" the tires when starting from a standing stop. This car is absolutely 100% boring and disappointing in the first second (1/60 minute) of acceleration from a standing start.
I'm only surfing around the QV forum to learn about the car, but do you think

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/5...rintbooster-now-available-giulia-stelvio.html

could alleviate the first second issue you just mentioned?

·
Registered
473 Posts

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/5...rintbooster-now-available-giulia-stelvio.html

I tried the throttle booster from Madness Autoworks. It did make the throttle quicker once the car is rolling, but it had no effect on the first second or so of acceleration (1/60th of a minute). I have never owned a car with DBW (drive by wire) or an automatic transmission, which is probably why I am complaining. Most of the people on this forum are well acclimated to DBW, which probably makes them less likely to complain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the throttle booster from Madness Autoworks. It did make the throttle quicker once the car is rolling, but it had no effect on the first second or so of acceleration (1/60th of a minute). I have never owned a car with DBW (drive by wire) or an automatic transmission, which is probably why I am complaining. Most of the people on this forum are well acclimated to DBW, which probably makes them less likely to complain.
Thanks for clearing that up.

It looks like I might want to look out for the launch assist upgrade from future Quad models.:wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts

I actually got the Novitech GP1 from Squadra Sportiva for the throttle response issue. It has 3 settings like the one from Madness Autoworks but claims 40% improved response in the "green" setting and 70% more response in the "red" setting. I feel that it has made an immediate impact from a standing start and even more so while the car is already rolling. It truly feels like the car has massive amounts of torque available instantly. I would highly recommend investing in this $200 clip on part...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Linky

Who never uses the DNA manettino's D-mode (Alfa) or the Sport button (Fiat), does not need to buy the GP1!
The GP1 is only recommended for drivers who drive almost exclusively in D-mode and where it appears that the accelerator pedal is still to slow to react, especially when starting.
On snow and ice, and especially on wet surfaces we recommend the medium level because otherwise ASR (anti-slip regulation) will be working very often.
For those who are inconclusive: keep the satisfaction guarantee in mind and just give it a try.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,635 Posts
Has it been that way with yours?
not had one instance of the take-off in D mode NOT kicking me back in my seat, even a slow traffic rolling start

i have had flat spots whilst quick brake then accelerating, in N mode, and only a couple of times

certainly not as consistently as this guy in the test car

after a while, my gearbox adjusted to my foot, sometimes baulking knowing "hey you usually hit the gas about here" and changes back down a gear

usually i only drive in N mode when the missus is in the car, LoL
D mode is for "normal" driving

edit: oh, btw, sorry i dont own a Quadrifolgio and you asked specifically for that, just letting you know how normal 2.0L 200hp acts

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,635 Posts
just realised that guy is manually shifting, so all my posts are irrelevant, sorry

that guy doesn't know how to drive a car

his changes are too abrupt, too soon, and not at redline

he should get his hand off it and let the torque converter do its thing in Dynamic mode

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up.

It looks like I might want to look out for the launch assist upgrade from future Quad models.:wink2:
Giulia Quadrifoglio doesn't have launch control and doesn't need it, is faster than anything in it's segment, it's faster even than the stripped out, two-seater, water-injected M4 GTS

p.s. a friend working in BMW told Me that next generation M Models will have automatic transmission(Giulia Q copycats) and AWD.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Exactly...the factory "fresh off the showroom floor" QV is a beast.

The launch of the QUAD has been a dramatic seismic event to the BMW world.

....and that makes me happy!!! LOL!

Reactions: peczenij
1 - 17 of 17 Posts