Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can confirm that these two harnesses indeed work with Giulia OEM Amplifiers (Intermediate or HK) allowing total bypass of the OEM amplifier.

AXABH-CH4 is missing two mandatory pins required with Intermediate Hifi, but these can be salvaged from the small connector, which is not needed with Intermediate (ASK Group) amplifier. According to the pin diagrams HK does not have this issue.

Here you can see original amplifier totally disconnected. OEM harness is on the left and my home-made harness using two harnesses mentioned above is on the right.

Speaker tests work correctly for every speaker through this new harness. This simple device is valuable to perform the testing:

Installation will be completed during the weekend. I will report the required proxy alignments here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can confirm that byte 112 controls the Amplifier / Line driver mode:

Byte 112: ETM Line driver mode / amplifier mode toggle. Value 0x00 = Amplifier Mode. Value 0x20 = Line Driver Mode

Byte 112 value 0x20

When the value is 0x20 ETM works in "Line driver / OEM Amplifier mode". In this mode the speaker detection is off, Volume control only works through external amplifier - fixed volume signal is sent to the OEM Amplifier and only in two channels. Other two channels are used to sent navigation messages and warning tones. Mixing of these signals happens on the amplifier and volume control, balance and fader are performed on OEM amplifier based on CANBUS signals.

You have to have an original OEM amplifier (either Intermediate - ASK Group or Harman Kardon) for this mode to make sense.

Byte 112 value 0x00
When the value is 0x00 ETM works in "Internal amplifier / Base audio mode". In this mode the speaker detection is on (you have to have resistors on outputs to avoid error messages; if resistors are not there you get audio system unavailable-error although everything works), Volume control on ETM works for the speaker outputs and navigation and warning tones are mixed to the outputs already on ETM. Basically this mode is the Base audio mode - it works exactly how the Base audio systems work.

Therefore, if you want to install new non-OEM amplifier without using Fix-82 or other solutions to "re-mix" the audio signals for external amplifier, you want to use this mode. The benefit of avoiding remixing is better sound quality, since OEM D-class amplifier on the signal path with remixing DSP is not doing good for the quality of audio.

About the bytes 31 & 47 you don't need to worry, these values will change to 0x00 when the OEM amplifier is removed.

In summary
This is the amplifier upgrade solution for all of you who want to upgrade Intermediate or HK amplifier to something else. You want to use this to simplify you installation and to get better sound quality. Having multiple non-necessary amplifiers and DSP's on your signal path is never good for the sound quality.

Order the harnesses mentioned in the previous post, built your own harness with these, install the amplifier, run proxi alignment and enjoy. Remember that before you change the proxi byte, the volume coming out from the ETM is at maximum. Just to avoid any loud surprises.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can also confirm that byte 112 controls the Amplifier / Line driver mode:

Byte 112: ETM Line driver mode / amplifier mode toggle. Value 0x00 = Amplifier Mode. Value 0x20 = Line Driver Mode

0x20

When the value is 0x20 ETM works in line driver mode. In this mode the speaker detection is off, Volume control only works through external amplifier - fixed signal is sent to the client and audio is sent only in two channels. Other two channels are used to sent navigation messages and warning tones. Mixing of these signals happen on external amplifier.

You have to have an original OEM amplifier for this mode to make sense.

0x00
When the value is 0x00 ETM works in amplifier mode. In this mode the speaker detection is on (you have to have resistors on outputs to avoid error messages; if resistors are not there you get audio system unavailable-error although everything works), Volume control on ETM works for the speaker outputs and navigation and warning tones are mixed to the outputs already on ETM. Basically this mode is the base audio mode - it works exactly how the base audio systems work.

Therefore, if you want to install new non-OEM amplifier without using Fix-82 or other solutions to "re-mix" the audio signals for external amplifier, you want to use this mode.

About the bytes 31 & 47 you don't need to worry, these values will change to 0x00 when the OEM amplifier is removed.

In summary
This is the amplifier upgrade solution for all of you who want to upgrade Intermediate or HK amplifier to something else. You want to use this to simplify you installation and to get better sound quality. Having multiple non-necessary amplifiers and DSP's on your signal path is never good for the sound quality.

Order the harnesses mentioned in the previous post, built your own harness with these, install the amplifier, run proxi alignment and enjoy. Remember that before you change the proxi byte, the volume coming out from the ETM is at maximum. Just to avoid any loud surprises.
Interesting. I've already cut my wires but can easily put them back together. And I've already upgraded by DSP as my old one didn't sum the high level inputs. So at this point I shouldn't really need to look to change anything. However, I get an annoying cut out for a fraction of a second on mids and tweeters when the powerful bass heavy notes hit (even with no bass speakers plugged in so I know it's not vibration / anything loose). And to try an minimise it I have to play around with gain setting on DSP and amps but that raises my noise floor too much. Maybe this is the solution but keeping my new DSP (well I've bought it now and it is very good). My only issue is that I already have 3 big amplifiers in my boot now and no spare channels to run the rear speakers as I'm still using the HK amp to run them at the moment but they are only on the minimum setting just for a bit of rear fill for the kids.
So the big question from me is how do I do a proxi alignment? Is this Alfa speak for a bit of coding? If so, do I just need MES or similar? I have a 2019 model so already have Epsonix's security gateway bypass device.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
Interesting. I've already cut my wires but can easily put them back together. And I've already upgraded by DSP as my old one didn't sum the high level inputs. So at this point I shouldn't really need to look to change anything. However, I get an annoying cut out for a fraction of a second on mids and tweeters when the powerful bass heavy notes hit (even with no bass speakers plugged in so I know it's not vibration / anything loose). And to try an minimise it I have to play around with gain setting on DSP and amps but that raises my noise floor too much. Maybe this is the solution but keeping my new DSP (well I've bought it now and it is very good). My only issue is that I already have 3 big amplifiers in my boot now and no spare channels to run the rear speakers as I'm still using the HK amp to run them at the moment but they are only on the minimum setting just for a bit of rear fill for the kids.
So the big question from me is how do I do a proxi alignment? Is this Alfa speak for a bit of coding? If so, do I just need MES or similar? I have a 2019 model so already have Epsonix's security gateway bypass device.
SGW bypass (2018+), obd2 adapter cables (blue and grey), and run the proxi alignment in MES.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can also confirm that byte 112 controls the Amplifier / Line driver mode:

0x20

When the value is 0x20 ETM works in line driver mode. In this mode the speaker detection is off, Volume control only works through external amplifier - fixed signal is sent to the client and audio is sent only in two channels. Other two channels are used to sent navigation messages and warning tones. Mixing of these signals happen on external amplifier.

You have to have an original OEM amplifier for this mode to make sense.

0x00
When the value is 0x00 ETM works in amplifier mode. In this mode the speaker detection is on (you have to have resistors on outputs to avoid error messages; if resistors are not there you get audio system unavailable-error although everything works), Volume control on ETM works for the speaker outputs and navigation and warning tones are mixed to the outputs already on ETM. Basically this mode is the base audio mode - it works exactly how the base audio systems work.

Therefore, if you want to install new non-OEM amplifier without using Fix-82 or other solutions to "re-mix" the audio signals for external amplifier, you want to use this mode.

In summary

Also, if using low level inputs to your amps / dsp what are you using for a switched live / remote out to turn amps on? The power supply to the HK amp is permanently live so must be turned on via the canbus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, I have ordered the full MES kit now. I tried to connect with my laptop and a bluetooth ELM327 ODB dongle and a Carista one. Although my laptop connected to both I couldn't seem to get MES to read either of them so have to wait for the MES one to arrive now. I am considering whacking my old DSP that has a remote volume controller into the car temporarily and use that to control the volume until I can do a proxy alignment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also, I have ordered the full MES kit now. I tried to connect with my laptop and a bluetooth ELM327 ODB dongle and a Carista one. Although my laptop connected to both I couldn't seem to get MES to read either of them so have to wait for the MES one to arrive now. I am considering whacking my old DSP that has a remote volume controller into the car temporarily and use that to control the volume until I can do a proxy alignment.
bluetooth dongle won't be able to do proxi alignment

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, if using low level inputs to your amps / dsp what are you using for a switched live / remote out to turn amps on? The power supply to the HK amp is permanently live so must be turned on via the canbus.
I'm not using low-level inputs. As said above, the low-level output mode from ETM is not useful to connect to non-OEM amplifier, since it is fixed-volume and navi voices + warning beeps are not mixed in the ETM. Also fader does not work.

Therefore only amplifier mode (byte 112 = 0x00) makes sense with non-OEM amplifier. And my JL Audio VXI 600/6i amplifier starts fine if it detects signal on inputs. VXi - on the other hand - provides remote out, which can be used to start subwoofer. The "low level" and "amplifier" inputs are the same thing with VXI amplifier.

·
Registered
63 Posts
bluetooth dongle won't be able to do proxi alignment
Depends on dongle. My OBDLink MX+ does proxi alignment just fine. If you link this adapter to both PC and Mobile phone, remember to disable bluetooth on you phone before trying to use PC. Otherwise nothing happens.

Avoid cheap Chinese ELM 327-adapters. They work with proxi alignment only with pure luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not using low-level inputs. As said above, the low-level output mode from ETM is not useful to connect to non-OEM amplifier, since it is fixed-volume and navi voices + warning beeps are not mixed in the ETM. Also fader does not work.
Ah yes of course, sorry, I was thinking about my own system where I might try connecting the line out into my DSP.

But then that brings me back round; forgive my ignorance on the internal workings of the ETM, but, if you are using the high level output surely the ETM is using a built in amplifier to make the signal high enough to be heard adequately through a speaker? If this is the case then why would you want to use the small (and therefore probably less capable) built in amplifier over the bigger (and probably slightly more capable) external amplifier? Both will probably apply EQ but isn't it better to bypass the ETM internal amplifier and use the intermediate / HK amplifier high level outputs instead? The only upside I can see to this is it saves you summing the different outputs to make a complete signal. But this is relatively easy.
UNLESS, all outputs from the ETM pass through it's internal amplifier but when the proxy is set to HK mode it attenuates them first. This makes no sense though; amplify then attenuate just so you can amplify again?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ah yes of course, sorry, I was thinking about my own system where I might try connecting the line out into my DSP.

But then that brings me back round; forgive my ignorance on the internal workings of the ETM, but, if you are using the high level output surely the ETM is using a built in amplifier to make the signal high enough to be heard adequately through a speaker? If this is the case then why would you want to use the small (and therefore probably less capable) built in amplifier over the bigger (and probably slightly more capable) external amplifier? Both will probably apply EQ but isn't it better to bypass the ETM internal amplifier and use the intermediate / HK amplifier high level outputs instead? The only upside I can see to this is it saves you summing the different outputs to make a complete signal. But this is relatively easy.
UNLESS, all outputs from the ETM pass through it's internal amplifier but when the proxy is set to HK mode it attenuates them first. This makes no sense though; amplify then attenuate just so you can amplify again?
There is only one "amplifier" within the ETM. The same chip either acts as a line driver or as a entry-level amplifier. When in "line driver mode" it just provides fixed line-level signal with a little less gain as in "amplifier" mode. For the sound quality, it's all the same in either mode. According to the specifications sheet, "low-gain" mode might be somewhat better, but the difference is not huge unless you drive the amplifier mode in too high power. You cannot "bypass" ETM internal amplifier, since it is the only path for the signal to go through.

Therefore adding an another mediocre D-class amplifier to the outputs (as it is in Intermediate or in HK Hifi), splitting the signal to tweeter, midrange, midbass and subwoofer and then summing all the signals back with DSP is not going to make the sound quality any better - quite the opposite. Removing all unnecessary stuff from the signal path is always better for the sound quality. And if you want to improve Giulia's audio quality, bypassing Intermediate or HK amplifier totally is exactly that.

In my car the Intermediate amplifier is now bypassed and JL Audio VXi600/6i with built-in DSP is connected directly to the front left, front right, rear left and rear right outputs from the ETM. Yes, it is "amplifier level" output, but there is no quality difference to "line output".

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK thank you for the explanation. Obviously I understand the less poor quality components in the signal path the better, I just didn't see the logic in using a built in amplifier over an external one but as you explained it has to pass through the ETM amplifier regardless then I will try the line output maybe today (taken from the HK amplifier input) until my MES cables turn up then I can do the proxy alignment and make it high level again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK thank you for the explanation. Obviously I understand the less poor quality components in the signal path the better, I just didn't see the logic in using a built in amplifier over an external one but as you explained it has to pass through the ETM amplifier regardless then I will try the line output maybe today (taken from the HK amplifier input) until my MES cables turn up then I can do the proxy alignment and make it high level again.
Remember that if you change the ETM to amplifier mode, you cannot use OEM HK amplifier anymore for any purpose. It has to be disconnected totally. So you need to find an another solution for your rear channels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can confirm that byte 112 controls the Amplifier / Line driver mode:

Byte 112 value 0x20

When the value is 0x20 ETM works in "Line driver / OEM Amplifier mode". In this mode the speaker detection is off, Volume control only works through external amplifier - fixed volume signal is sent to the OEM Amplifier and only in two channels. Other two channels are used to sent navigation messages and warning tones. Mixing of these signals happens on the amplifier and volume control, balance and fader are performed on OEM amplifier based on CANBUS signals.

You have to have an original OEM amplifier (either Intermediate - ASK Group or Harman Kardon) for this mode to make sense.

Byte 112 value 0x00
When the value is 0x00 ETM works in "Internal amplifier / Base audio mode". In this mode the speaker detection is on (you have to have resistors on outputs to avoid error messages; if resistors are not there you get audio system unavailable-error although everything works), Volume control on ETM works for the speaker outputs and navigation and warning tones are mixed to the outputs already on ETM. Basically this mode is the Base audio mode - it works exactly how the Base audio systems work.

Therefore, if you want to install new non-OEM amplifier without using Fix-82 or other solutions to "re-mix" the audio signals for external amplifier, you want to use this mode. The benefit of avoiding remixing is better sound quality, since OEM D-class amplifier on the signal path with remixing DSP is not doing good for the quality of audio.

In summary

I have the MES multiplexed kit now and it seems to work with my SGW bypass as I can see and clear all DTCs.
However, when I go into the Proxi Alignment section all I get are options to enable or disable various parameters. I can't see any actual bytes or their values. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the MES multiplexed kit now and it seems to work with my SGW bypass as I can see and clear all DTCs.
However, when I go into the Proxi Alignment section all I get are options to enable or disable various parameters. I can't see any actual bytes or their values. Am I doing something wrong?
Press Ctrl-Alt-C on proxy alignment screen. Now you can see the "raw" set of proxi bytes you can edit.

Before starting, please ensure that you have Blue and Grey adapters that work. Without those you cannot complete proxi alignment. In the end you need to do couple of sensor resets within ABS module. This is normal.

Edit: If you really have MES Multiplexed kit, then you don't need those adapters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Press Ctrl-Alt-C on proxy alignment screen. Now you can see the "raw" set of proxi bytes you can edit.

Before starting, please ensure that you have Blue and Grey adapters that work. Without those you cannot complete proxi alignment. In the end you need to do couple of sensor resets within ABS module. This is normal.

Edit: If you really have MES Multiplexed kit, then you don't need those adapters.
Thanks the ctrl alt C did the trick. Yes, I have the multiplexed version so no adapters required.
I swapped over to the ETM output (rather than HK output) quickly last night. It sounded terrible and distorted even at low volume but much louder. I suspect the gains need to be turned down on my DSP and amps and possibly move the jumpers in the DSP to the higher input setting. As I didn't have time to do this I put the car back to how it was. I have my first service on Tuesday so will take the SGW bypass out and try again maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks the ctrl alt C did the trick. Yes, I have the multiplexed version so no adapters required.
I swapped over to the ETM output (rather than HK output) quickly last night. It sounded terrible and distorted even at low volume but much louder. I suspect the gains need to be turned down on my DSP and amps and possibly move the jumpers in the DSP to the higher input setting. As I didn't have time to do this I put the car back to how it was. I have my first service on Tuesday so will take the SGW bypass out and try again maybe next weekend.
Remember that when you do this, the volume control also starts working for ETM outputs. So you can also turn volume down to avoid too high output. But yes, you need to tweak DSP input gain down to avoid overload of DSP inputs.

I'm just amazed how good this new setup sounds. I have a set of favorite CD's converted to MP3 on a USB stick. I now need to do the conversion again to convert them to FLAC format instead. This lossless format should sound even better. And yes, Giulia ETM supports it.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts