Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is one place for those looking to dramatically improve the sound quality of the Alfa Romeo stereo system.

Some things that I discovered while upgrading my system. First is that the center channel is always on regardless of whether the surround is on or off. Also the crossover to the subwoofer is extremely poor. Vocals are also being fed into the sub making it strain to try to reproduce those higher frequencies. Simply putting an inline low pass 100mhz 4 ohm filter from parts express ($18) might help sound quality some for those not wanting to add or replace any of the speakers. Those looking to just replace the sub will need to cross it over also or it will not really improve sound even if sub is good. For those looking to do more here are some other options.

1. Easiest and cheapest way is to add a subwoofer such as the premade JL audio sub box with 10 inch sub, audiocontrol LC2i to get signal for sub and adjust for missing bass as volume is increased. Keep stock speakers. This will play very loud and will satisfy most people. I initially did this by adding a JL audio RD500/1 amp with the JL Audio CS110TG-TW3. The bass was clean, tight powerful and almost everyone who got in my car thought is sounded great. However, the stock speakers tend to have too much midrange and the tweeter can sound piercing at times and is hard to listen to for an extended period of time. If you like the treble in the stock radio you will love will absolutely love this upgrade. And yes I am very picky and an audiophile with a home system costing more than many people’s cars.

2. Next option is to replace with stock speakers however they are crossed over inside the amp so not sure how good this will sound since you can not use the supplied crossovers with the speakers. Not being able to use supplied crossovers will dramatically negatively effect the sound quality but would still likely sound better then the cheap little speakers supplied with stock sound system. You can see from pictures that stock speakers have a magnet not much bigger than a half dollar.
3. Since the stock amp is not sending out full channel signals you will be required to use a DSP unit in order to add an aftermarket amp. So your next cheapest option is to get a 5 channel amp with a bullt in DSP unit such as the audiocontrol LC-6.1200. This saves the expense of buying both a DSP and an amp. Then replacing the stock speakers will sound dramatically better since they will now use the supplied crossovers and have a full range signal outputting to them.

4. Most expensive option is to use an external DSP and an aftermarket amplifier. You can use a cheap LC6i but because the front speakers use all 6 inputs it you lose the fader in the dash. The best LC8i or JL audio fix 82 if you want to keep the fader working. I went with the DM-810 so I could hook up a laptop and completely customize each input, summoning on each output, adjust crossovers, in addition to 30 band EQ. Other similar options Focal FSP-8, Rockford Fosgate 3sixty3 and audison. There are probably plenty of others just look for 8 or more inputs since the Alfa uses 6 inputs on fronts alone. If you go this route i suggest you pick one that you can log into with a computer and equalize sound with a 30 band eq.

Now for which equipment to replace with. Front speakers are a 3 way component speaker so this limits what options you have unless you change to a 2 way component speaker and leave midrange empty.

3 way speakers for fronts

Focal 165AS3 $470.99 Great brand, well made plays on brighter side, very good speaker can handle lots of power.
http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/incar/focal-access-165-as-2-way-component-speakers-395914
Focal PS 165F3 $999.99 Great Brand top end speaker very loud very good and extremely powerful speaker. Awesome speaker but very expensive
http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/reports/3445-focal-ps-165fx-component-speaker-review-
JL Audio C5653 $849.99 Great brand top end speaker, very balanced warm sound, sounds great but expensive
http://www.pasmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4824:jl-audio-c5-653-component-review&catid=45:test-reports&Itemid=272
Morel Virtus Nano 603 $749.99 High end speaker but have never heard them personally
Precision Power PPI P65C3 $249.99 Top notch speaker at a terrific price. Excellent reviews and sounds almost as good as the high end focals and JL Audio at a fraction of the price. Very good value and if cost is an issue go with this one.
http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/3641-precision-power-p65c3-component-speaker-review
Hertz Energy ESK 163L.5 $399 Not familiar with this one
Cadence QRS6K3 – $136.95 very inexpensive starting at $125 online no idea of quality
Brand X at Walmart $145.18 Great price doubt very good quality but probably better then stock speakers

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-6-5-component-car-speakers/
http://caraudiohq.net/best-6-5-component-speakers/
http://www.sakerracing.com/car-speakers/best-car-speaker-reviews/

Rear speakers are 6 ½ inch 2 way components that I would simply buy to match what brand you choose for front. Try not to mix brands as timbre gets messed up and dramatically effects sound quality.

Amplifiers

Anything less then around 7.25 inches will fit in compartment under the trunk, easily hidden out of sight

Inexpensive

soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D very small and amazingly powerful 5 channel amp very good value
RetroSound Technophonic not familiar with it
JBL GTR-7535 Nice amp fits well and allows you to stream Bluetooth directly to the amplifier

More expensive

The JL audio RD and XD series will fit right in there hidden out of the way.
Kicker 43CXA600.5 Good brand never heard amp
Memphis Audio 16-MXA5.750 Marine Amp just means more moisture resistant but very high quality and will fit nicely in hidden compartment. Good brand
Alpine PDR-V75

If you are willing to mount amp elsewhere then many more options become available.

So for disclosure I went with the JL Audio HD 900/5 for my amp. JL Audio C5653 in front, JL Audio C3650 in rear, audiocontrol DM810, and JL Audio CS110TG-TW3 for sub. I disabled center speaker and stock subwoofer. Sound is definitely studio quality and very happy with sound. Negative is disconnecting stock speakers puts a yellow speaker in the dash with warning stereo not available. Car is sensing the resistance of the speakers is gone. This is a little annoying. Stereo works fine but warning is always on. Audiocontrol rep tells me putting in resistors prior to DSP will turn off warnings might try it one day when I have time to kill. Draw on car is not very substantial with this amplifier as it is very efficient 80% less than standard amps. Very little heat generated and amplifier does not strain at all even at very high volumes as I have gain turned way down on amp. My biggest concern is the car’s auto shut off I have to turn if off every time I get in because I feel the draw at lights will be very hard on battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pictures of the install. You can see factory amp in left side of car.

Didn't write down color codes of speakers coming out of amp should have that would have been helpful to everyone here in the forum. Maybe next guy will. I built panel behind seat to mount amps, DSP and crossovers to. Built second false wall to cover up equipment so still looks stock.

Disconnected center and rear speakers to make it pure stereo sound with studio quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have pictures of the tweeter location in dash. Forgot to take them. Hopefully next guy can take them. As for the doors there was pretty good space for door speakers.

My speakers had a mounting depth of 2.6 inches and fit easily. So most speakers should fit.

·
Super Moderator
1,074 Posts
Good resource! Thanks for posting the details.

Were the factory tweeter pods removed from the dash for the new tweeters? If so, how are the dash tweeter pods removed?

The speaker/infotainment error in the cluster is a bit of a voodoo fix. Maybe call an Audison or other DSP dealer to see what they are using in terms of load generation devices? Basically, the factory amp needs to see the OEM speaker load on the outputs or it throws the error light on the cluster. Audio Control makes their own load generation device to (fake) match the OEM speaker connections though it may or may not match the Alfa/HK platform. I have not found anything specific for the Harmon Kardon/Alfa platform from other manufacturers. Uncharted territory for sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't have pictures of the tweeter location in dash. Forgot to take them. Hopefully next guy can take them. As for the doors there was pretty good space for door speakers.

My speakers had a mounting depth of 2.6 inches and fit easily. So most speakers should fit.
thanks for that. did the door trim come off without too much trouble?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

How did you connect the amp and the speakers to the wiring harness in the car and to the radio - I'm interested in installation of a separate amp and a woofer - but without harming the existing wiring harness in the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what your definition of harming is but in order to get a signal from the head unit to your amplifier you will have to tap into at least the sub wires. You can do this without doing much to the harness and is easy to put back if you desire. I can't remember which color those are as I didn't write down the color combinations. Hopefully the next guy to take the car apart can write down all the color combinations of speaker wires for everyone else on the forum.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Coates-
In the image with the 10 speakers together, I don't see the oval ( OE sub? ) that is located on the rear shelf, or the front center speaker. Have you replaced these drivers? Just not using them?
If one would like to simply replace the rear deck oval driver, and power this new and improved "sub" with a new-dedicated amp that fits-mounts indiscreetly, would you have any suggestions? Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I left my sub in place just disconnected it. I did something similar to begin with. I used a JL Audio AMP which hide nicely in compartment under trunk Styrofoam. I just left original sub and put in small JL Audio pre-manufactured box. This worked very well and when you disconnected sub nothing looked different.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Here are pictures of the install. You can see factory amp in left side of car.

Didn't write down color codes of speakers coming out of amp should have that would have been helpful to everyone here in the forum. Maybe next guy will. I built panel behind seat to mount amps, DSP and crossovers to. Built second false wall to cover up equipment so still looks stock.

Disconnected center and rear speakers to make it pure stereo sound with studio quality.
Are those the HK speakers or standard speakers? How much do they weigh? Neo magnet speakers have very small magnets, are those ceramic or neo?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys,
Base level audio system (4+4 speakers) in Giulia. I plan to add small amp in bridge and 8'' woofer. Woofer made of polyester already prepared in fuse box under Styrofoam. 12V feed is easy in the trunk, as well as ground and remote +. Only doubt I have is signal for amp. In my Giulietta I have done it by borrowing signal from rear speakers wires before entering rear doors, with better quality speakers in the doors. In your opinion, can I do the same in Giulia and use these wires as high level input to may amp, what is a risk to make some damage to HU?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I read somewhere that changing the speakers will throw a cel, is that true?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Are these speakers common sizes that can be used in other cars?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Speakers should be the standard sizes, 165 and 40 mm for tweeters. I know that CAN bus notice when dealing with stock HK Amp, no idea if it will throw out the failure of audio system when speakers are replaced with better ones. My box is ready and probably will try this, if it works...In Giulietta the standard audio was improved significant with this budget friendly method.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This post is one place for those looking to dramatically improve the sound quality of the Alfa Romeo stereo system.

Some things that I discovered while upgrading my system. First is that the center channel is always on regardless of whether the surround is on or off. Also the crossover to the subwoofer is extremely poor. Vocals are also being fed into the sub making it strain to try to reproduce those higher frequencies. Simply putting an inline low pass 100mhz 4 ohm filter from parts express ($18) might help sound quality some for those not wanting to add or replace any of the speakers. Those looking to just replace the sub will need to cross it over also or it will not really improve sound even if sub is good. For those looking to do more here are some other options.
Just a quick question- you went after the factory amp to pull signal or did you pull signal before? If you go after the amp did it realize there was a change?

I am tempted to rip out the gear and install my own, like NOW.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts