Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am noticing some kind of oily and greasy residue near both of my front doors and my fenders above the wheels. Not sure what it is.. i was guessing its something to do with the turbo oil mist or something from my brakes? What could it be? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have noticed the residue too and was wondering what was causing it. It comes off easily enough when using a quick detailer and I didn't notice anything under the hood so I haven't been too concerned about it.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Both sides or just one? Is there any color to it? Could bee from the road, maybe even tar or just old oil on pavement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed on both sides and it's always there before I clean the car. It is usually located on the fender before the door and on the door. Starts from the side mirror going down about 6-8 inches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you use any tire dressing? In the past I have found certain tire dressings do interesting/ unexpected hings at certain speeds in combination with aerodynamics?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought it was just my car, seems like other people are having the same issue.

It develope this haze kind of thing on the paint where the front door and fender meets. It goes up as high as the lower part of A pillar and lower corner of the windshield. This occur at both sides of the car, and it usually starts showing up after a week of driving on fresh cleaned car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep, I thought I was crazy, but after I washed and waxed the car, there it was again just a few days, maybe 2 or 3 hundred miles, later. I haven't really digested the details of the engine compartment, but something is telling me this is the traces of blowby that isn't somehow successfully being vented in the crankcase. Time will tell.....its really interesting to see that I'm not the only one seeing this.

FWIW, I am an extreme disbeliever in tire dressings, and use nothing but car wash soap and water on my tires, so I'm pretty sure this is not tire dressing being thrown up on the fenders, which is a phenomenon I've seen down low on other cars but not in the upper door/fender area such as this.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yikes, blowby? No wonder 2018s might be held at port.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Blowby on a bunch of new cars would be a wicked problem. Don't think it's that.

I also have the issue. Showed up after first wash, and second wash. Both sides, near door jamb. It's like an oil slick, rainbow colored (at least easy to see that on black paint). My first thought was outgassing from the door jamb being lubed. Haven't tried to see exactly where it's coming from. At least I know I'm not the only one (or four).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's not blowby, it's normal, and it will gradually diminish and disappear after a number of washes. There's deadening material inside the front fenders, which is lubricated during assembly to make sliding it in easier. What you're seeing is that lubricant.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd noticed that on mine too! Thanks, good to know that it's nothing serious.

Out of curiosity, is it more noticeable on some colors? Mine is Alfa Rosso, and seems to look like discoloration of the paint, which was quite alarming until it wiped off!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As I wrote in post #12, it is coming from inside the front fenders. There's a vertical piece of insulation just in front of the door hinges. At the factory, that piece is lubricated to ease assembly.

I've evidenced where you can see part of this piece of insulation with the door open.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Just saw McGeeks response. Thank you!

McGeek, FYI this residue also goes into the side view mirrors which makes the reflection look somewhat discolored and hazed.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Thanks MacGeek. It's like your standing in the plant beside the assembly line taking questions. Awesome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Blowby on a bunch of new cars would be a wicked problem. Don't think it's that.

I also have the issue. Showed up after first wash, and second wash. Both sides, near door jamb. It's like an oil slick, rainbow colored (at least easy to see that on black paint). My first thought was outgassing from the door jamb being lubed. Haven't tried to see exactly where it's coming from. At least I know I'm not the only one (or four).
Exactly the same here. After washing its gone. Returns in a week or so. Is anything venting through the seam between door and fender?

Rob.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow.....I've gotta a white QV and never really noticed this issue. I've had my car since May too. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts