Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Looks like Petronas may be a sponsor for Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 next year ;) I have used M1 0w40 in my 348 but our lead mechanic from the old country told me not to bother with it. The oil pumps in that engine were plenty strong enough for the 5 and 10 weights. In fact, I had gotten a little seepage from the cam gear shaft seals on the last check before the accident. This was not a good situation with a rubber timing belt and full engine out belt change set up. ;) No worries. The 360 is on 5w40 and actually likes Rotella better than the Penzoil Eurospec platinum for now, even in the VVT system! It squawks less when active on the low end. May have just needed the clean oil regardless. Change it again next spring. Probably to Penzoil spec, easily attainable on Amazon and Ricambi. Rotella is a mixed fleet SM CJ-4, Penzoil Platinum is SN, or one step better. ;)

I added some stop leak to my Miata after seeing a dribble at my oil pan seal when I was under the car painting the chassis this fall. The engine does consume oil too now with boost/111K miles. I was down more than a quart so I added 10w40 high mileage like my old mechanic said back at the dealership (when I still trusted them - don't think he works there anymore) But alas, after all my misfires due to injector shorts the cat is a little fouled up, and also my rear O2 sensor had finally given up after being tired for a long time. You can see this on OBD2. No sweat, I have a replacement on hand but don't want to lift the car tonight, and really have to do laundry for my works clothes after being away for the holiday. Had to swap out the extension harness once too from dang corrosion. Don't want to see that again. I'll seal up the new connector when I change the sensor. Seams like a regular maintenance item every few winters now. But the Giulia will be brand new :D

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
so, on a qv, where should the oil reside when using the dipstick? should it be filled to the full line or should it show one quart down? I don't want to over-fill.
Hmm... Typically, on most cars, there is a full mark and a one quart low mark. A liter and a quart are nearly the same amount. As long as it is somewhere between those two lines, it is acceptable.

On my race car (Datsun 240z), I intentionally overfill it to help with starvation in the long sweeping turns. I would never overfill a street car.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hopefully someone here can answer this question:

What oil brands (specifically) can be used (Certified) in the 2.9 QUAD besides Petronas?

I see the Alfa oil spec number FIAT 9.55535-Z2 -that doesn't do me any good. I'm looking for BRANDS and specific oils (pics of any or links would be great) that can be purchased in the US. I'll give an example: Pennzoil 0W40 XYZ Perfect Oil.

People say Mobil 1 is not certified, so can someone post a list of certified Brands and Details please. QUAD only.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would like to pin this down too for the 2.9. Anyone have experience with this?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 0W-40 meets: API SN, Fiat 9.55535.Z2, ACEA A3/B4-10
Avaliable at: Walmart

Not been able to find anything else. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Guys, I'll go out on a limb. I would say the Penzoil Euro Spec (Platinum) 0w40 will be fine. My basis for this is the use and recommendation in the Ferrrai V8s since the 360. Considering the origins of the block and boost system from the CaliT, this will probably bear out. But now I can here Nicola back at FoNE scolding me for not knowing what I was talking about, haha ;) Also, Penzoil is advertising with the 458 or 488 recently.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 for Ferrari. But I’m tempted to call/contact Pennzoil. They have an engine protection warranty. If they’ll say it’s fitting to use in Alfa Romeos, then why not and they’ll cover 15 different engine components while you are using it for 10 yrs/300k miles all the while....

(After a 6 month grace period...)

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you want certified, just walk into a dealer’s parts department and pick up a quart.

This brand is just coming back into the US market so oil availability is limited. I see more exotic cars around than I do Alfa Romeos. Beyond my wife’s Ti, I’ve seen one Quad in this city. Even my driving all over the place, none. I even see a Fisker Karma (sure it’s a Fisker just not familiar with what model) driving around here...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would like to pin this down too for the 2.9. Anyone have experience with this?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 0W-40 meets: API SN, Fiat 9.55535.Z2, ACEA A3/B4-10
Avaliable at: Walmart

Not been able to find anything else. Any ideas? Thanks!
Thank you! Finally someone who answers direct with hard info. Bravo and I'll grab some from Walmart.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thank you! Finally someone who answers direct with hard info. Bravo and I'll grab some from Walmart.

Replies with "I think" or "It should" do not do me any good. I'm looking for facts not guesses.
You asked for "certified". I can't say the Pennzoil is certified, because it is Pennzoil's statement that it meets (or exceeds) the 9.55535-Z2 spec. It does not have the Certification/Approval as the Selenia oil does.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You asked for "certified". I can't say the Pennzoil is certified, because it is Pennzoil's statement that it meets (or exceeds) the 9.55535-Z2 spec. It does not have the Certification/Approval as the Selenia oil does.
It works...best response over "I think" and "It should". Why I asked here as other thread wasn't getting anywhere...neither was this one until at least one good reply.

Thanks and take care. No further reply needed.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Attachments

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.