Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Giulia almost 2 weeks ago and the oil light went on indicating that oil needs to be put on, is this normal for brand new cars not to have oil in them?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The thing that is frustrating about the virtual dipstick is an accurate reading can only be had after warming up the oil and then waiting for a few minutes.

I'd encourage anyone checking their oil to examine the owner's manual carefully and follow the instructions. Over-filling the motor with oil can be disastrous if improperly read.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Bought my Giulia almost 2 weeks ago and the oil light went on indicating that oil needs to be put on, is this normal for brand new cars not to have oil in them?
It's not uncommon for new engines (this includes rebuilt) to consume some oil during break-in. And 'Yes', the oil level needs to be kept in a safe level range, adding as necessary.

I think the real question is how do we know how much oil to add?

Does the dash display tell us it's a quart or liter low?

The next question that I personally have is, "Can I trust the oil lever sensor?" I'd really like a stick for verification.

I'd suggest taking it in to the dealer for now. They can verify and add oil accordingly.

Hmm... That's three question.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The thing that is frustrating about the virtual dipstick is an accurate reading can only be had after warming up the oil and then waiting for a few minutes.

I'd encourage anyone checking their oil to examine the owner's manual carefully and follow the instructions. Over-filling the motor with oil can be disastrous if improperly read.
100% spot on. I used to have a Mercedes CLK with a digital dipstick and it was a pain in the ass. The manual said it used 8.5 quarts of oil! but i would always fill it to 8 because if you think about it, you can never fill it to the spec. There is still residual oil left attached to the engine even when changing oil. You will never completely replace the oil in in entirety unless you have it draining for days. I know this by trial an error because if i would attempt to fill it using 8.5 quarts the engine would run like ****. So around 5,500 miles, it will tell me to add a quart of oil. (Mercedes engines are known to consume oil) but i prefer to add a bit of oil then to overfill it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
New Giulia Q4 here...
Picked it up last Thursday (5 days ago), 178 miles on the odometer. Started with oil level at the "full" mark on the display, now down about 1/2 inch ( I'm thinking about 1/5 quart, but who knows).

At this rate, I'll nee to add oil by 1000 miles. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I still can't figure out how to read the digital gauge. Is the dark grey the amount that is in and the light grey is empty? What about the medium grey?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
New Giulia Q4 here...
Picked it up last Thursday (5 days ago), 178 miles on the odometer. Started with oil level at the "full" mark on the display, now down about 1/2 inch ( I'm thinking about 1/5 quart, but who knows).

At this rate, I'll nee to add oil by 1000 miles. Anyone else experience this?
The OPs engine was dumping oil into the coolant. You might want to check your coolant for discoloration/sheen from oil. The OPs engine eventually self destructed and had to be replaced (see pictures under a different thread). That was hopefully a rare occurrence.

Let us all know if you have anything that drastic happen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No coolant contamination, at least to my eyes. Maybe (hopefully) it's just the normal breaking in of the engine that apparently consumed the oil, assuming it's not an electronic glitch.

Driving from Texas to California in a few days and will monitor closely. Going to look for a quart of oil to keep in the trunk, just in case....

Car is running fine in all other respects, except for the crazy air conditioning that can't seem to hold a constant temperature in the cabin, regardless of whether it's on automatic or manual.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
No coolant contamination, at least to my eyes. Maybe (hopefully) it's just the normal breaking in of the engine that apparently consumed the oil, assuming it's not an electronic glitch.

Driving from Texas to California in a few days and will monitor closely. Going to look for a quart of oil to keep in the trunk, just in case....

Car is running fine in all other respects, except for the crazy air conditioning that can't seem to hold a constant temperature in the cabin, regardless of whether it's on automatic or manual.
Does anybody know the oil specs to get? My 4C and Abarth (sold) use a fully synthetic oil which is not compatible with petroleum based oils.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For the 2.0: SAE 0W30, API SN, ACEA C2, Chrysler MS-13340, FIAT 9.55535-GS1
For the 2.9: SAE 0W40, API SN, ACEA A3/B4, Chrysler MS-12991, FIAT 9.55535-Z2

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
For the 2.0: SAE 0W30, API SN, ACEA C2, Chrysler MS-13340, FIAT 9.55535-GS1
For the 2.9: SAE 0W40, API SN, ACEA A3/B4, Chrysler MS-12991, FIAT 9.55535-Z2
Automobile manufacturer fluid recommendations can be both helpful and confusing.
Does Alfa provide a chart of various viscosities that are recommended depending on the ambient temperature?
I have serviced the engine oil on both the Fiat 500 Multi Air turbo and Multi Air non-turbo. The turbo calls for 5W-40 with a product standard MS-10896, a full synthetic. The non-turbo, 5W-30 with a MS-6395 standard which is a conventional oil.
The recommended oil for the 2.0, Fiat spec 9.55535.GS1 is described as an ACEA C2 based, mid SAPS engine oil for the latest gasoline engines of the Fiat Group.... SAPS=Sulphated Ash Phosphorus Sulphur
For those who want to learn more about engine oil, visit:
oilspecifications.org/fiat.php
oilspecifications.org/acea.php

It would be great if someone could create a list of the Factory recommended fluids and lubricants for both the 2.0 and 2.9 that includes all of the most commonly user serviced fluids and lubricants. Such a list should include the Factory material standard designations as well as product descriptions that are readily available in the NAFTA region.
Engine oil
Transmission fluid
Transfer case fluid
Final drive oil
Engine coolant
Brake fluid
Mr. MacGeek?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Alfa does not provide different viscosities based on ambient temperatures.

I am unable to provide the names of products readily available in NAFTA markets. All I can do is tell you what the factory puts in.

Engine Oil
2.0 T4: Synthetic SAE 0W30, API SN, ACEA C2, Chrysler MS-13340, FIAT 9.55535-GS1.
Factory product: FL Petronas Selenia Digitek P.E.

2.9 V6: Synthetic SAE 0W40, API SN, ACEA A3/B4, Chrysler MS-12991, FIAT 9.55535-Z2.
Factory product: FL Petronas Selenia Digitek

Transmission Oil
Synthetic ATF, FIAT 9.55550-AV5.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Transmission AS 8

Rear Differential Oil
2.0 T4: Synthetic SAE 75W85, FIAT 9.55550-DA9.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Transmission LS Axle Fluid

2.9 V6: Synthetic SAE 75W85, API GL-5, FIAT 9.55550-DA8.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Transmission Axle-Drive

Front Differential Oil (Q4)
Synthetic SAE 75W80, APL GL-5, FIAT 9.55550-DA10.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Transmission Hypoide Gear Oil

Transfer case Oil (Q4)
Synthetic SAE 75W, FIAT 9.55550-DA11.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Transmission Transfer Case

CV Joint Grease
Diff side: NLGI 0-1, FIAT 9.55580-GRAS II.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Star 700

Wheel side: NLGI 1-2, FIAT 9.55580-GRAS II.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela All Star

Brake Fluid
DOT 4, Chrysler MS.90039, FIAT 9.55597.
Factory product: FL Petronas Tutela Brake Fluid Extreme HT

Coolant
CUNA NC 956-16, ASTMD3306, Chrysler MS.90032, FIAT 9.55523.
Factory product: FL Petronas Paraflu Up

Windshield Washer Fluid
CUNA NC 956-11, Chrysler MS.90043, FIAT 9.55522.
Factory product: FL Petronas Durance SC 35

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pennzoil PZL Syn Euro 0W30 QT meets specs instock in some Advance Auto stores (Part No. 550043041)(just picked up one).

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have always been a mobile one user. is there any reason why mobile one would not be recommended? is there a newer science or thought for the qv?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have always been a mobile one user. is there any reason why mobile one would not be recommended? is there a newer science or thought for the qv?
I do not have any specific information that implies that Mobil 1, or any other engine oil, or coolant, or other assorted fluids (off the list) would not work, or would harm your Giulia.
Having said that, there is plenty of historical evidence with newer (in the last 10 years, or so) cars that develop (all sorts of) problems if you stray from the "approved designation" engine oil - engine coolant -transmission fluid - hydraulic fluid, etc.
Engine seals - components for camshaft variable valve timing - lift, plastic intake manifolds and vent pipes, profile seals in the cooling system, even the solder used on the submersed fluid coolers, modern braking systems, (to name just a few items) can be either maintained for longer life with the "approved designation" fluid, or adversely effected by using the wrong fluid.
Personally, I'm not going to be the "test case" for seeing if any problems arise from straying off the approved list, with this (relatively) new engine - car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is my understanding that the proper valve function with the 2.0 Giulia's very unusual multi air valve system relies on a very specific viscosity/temp curve (among a number of specific parameters). Just because an oil has the same 0w-30 rating does not mean it will duplicate all the points in the curve (and thus operate the valves) identically. In this engine, more than any of my others, I have concern that the oil also have the proper Fiat/AR rating. Even though I use M1 in several of my other cars, I think its best to seek out one with the approved manufacturer's rating for the Giulia.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have done a little research of published descriptions of these recommended oils and found the following benefits of this ACEA (European) spec:
very low ash content keeps pistons cleaner
extended change intervals
very low viscosity allows better fuel mileage
Extends life of catalyst
Has lower C02 emissions
The Pennzoil product recommended is made from natural gas rather than crude oil and has many fewer impurities than other synthetics. It also costs about 30% more than Mobil 1.

Reactions: AlfaAndy
1 - 20 of 62 Posts