Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
When one starts hearing woke identity politics with phrases like... the thread has probably run its course.
That's quite certain. You've obnoxiously dismissed anyone who merely disagrees with your pontifications as some "political" hatchet job. We've already discovered that you know everything and realize we should only bow before your infinite wisdom. Every car forum has their version of you. Dedicated avoidance will be my future M.O. Buh-bye.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hownowcb - Sorry I hurt your feelings. I'd like to focus on building each other up and celebrating our love of the brand, rather than going negative. I'll start - Congrats on picking an Alfa... hope you're enjoying your car !

For everyone else - Just got off the phone with a technical person at AMSOIL - I asked two questions:

1. Viscosity difference when oil is cold - Question asked: What's the difference between me using 5W30 AMOIL in California, and someone using 0W30 in a cold climate like New York, or somewhere cold. I specifically asked about the Winter viscosity, when you're starting up the car in the morning. His answer, which he confirmed several times - No difference. Unless you're in sub-zero tempratures there will be no measurable diffrence. Now if you're in extremely cold tempratures and compare one to the other, then there will be a very slight measurable difference, but comparing 0W30 on a cold morning in the East Coast, to 5W30 in warmer west coast climates - no measurable difference at all. And he wasn't even waivering in his answer, and this guy seemed well educated and knowledgable. That settles it for me on this point !

2. API Rating - I specifically cited the OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, which sells for $30 per Gallon Jug. He said all their oil series are complient with the latest API rating which is SP (this rating was put out by API in May of 2020). When I asked what the difference was between the OE series vs the Signature Series, he said that the lubricity would be the same (slipperyness or ability to reduce friction) but that the signature series would evaportate less than the OE series.

There we have it. In my opinion, the signature series is the way to go if you plan to wait a long period between oil changes, but for those of us that want to change it every 6 months or 5-6K, the OE series should be more than adequate in its 5W30 guise.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dumb question, please educate me:

Is the bigger number the viscosity at low temp or at high temp?

It seems to me that oil is likely to be more viscous at low temp. Maybe oil is rated relative to some reference rather than with an absolute measurement?

0W oil reportedly is causal for modern engine low speed pre-ignition issues.
No dumb questions, only potentially dumb answers.

Bigger number is for oil heated temp. So the oil flows like a 0 or 5 weight cold, and flows like a 30W when hot as I understand. You're correct 0W_30 is thinner when warmed. And yes there is a range allowed to be considered 0W-30 both at the low end and high end.

A lot of oils fit the LSPI prevention category, (SN Plus as I understand). In fact Mobil's website said their formulas already qualified but they are just updating the labelling at one point when SN Plus was new). LSPI isn't the only factor in choosing an oil, nor is the oil viscosity. GM's older DEXOS addressed LSPI as I understand...

This is why I'd still make sure the oil fits the prescribed specification or recommended specifically by the oil manufacturer for the application in question. Oil weight is oil weight. It applies to operating temperature. True. But what about the additives/other requirements...

I also have an oil tale story to share about the Porsche Panamera (used, V8 NA) we got to replace our totaled Giulia. Within the first couple of months of ownership it noted an oil change was due. I decided to use mainly Mobil 1 0W-40 (7 quarts) and 2 or so quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40. (It takes 9.5 quarts of oil). Darn thing was throwing a check engine light once a week. The engine naturally burns oil so I was adding: Adding more Pennzoil caused more frequent CELs. As soon as I switched and added Mobil 1 CELs stopped. So even mixing A40 (Porsche gas engine spec) oils is a no-no. You must use one, (no flush required to change,) or another, but no mixing. Weight is just one specification, even mixing same spec oils from different oil manufacturers can have dire effects....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hownowcb - Sorry I hurt your feelings. I'd like to focus on building each other up and celebrating our love of the brand, rather than going negative. I'll start - Congrats on picking an Alfa... hope you're enjoying your car !

For everyone else - Just got off the phone with a technical person at AMSOIL - I asked two questions:

1. Viscosity difference when oil is cold - Question asked: What's the difference between me using 5W30 AMOIL in California, and someone using 0W30 in a cold climate like New York, or somewhere cold. I specifically asked about the Winter viscosity, when you're starting up the car in the morning. His answer, which he confirmed several times - No difference. Unless you're in sub-zero tempratures there will be no measurable diffrence. Now if you're in extremely cold tempratures and compare one to the other, then there will be a very slight measurable difference, but comparing 0W30 on a cold morning in the East Coast, to 5W30 in warmer west coast climates - no measurable difference at all. And he wasn't even waivering in his answer, and this guy seemed well educated and knowledgable. That settles it for me on this point !

2. API Rating - I specifically cited the OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, which sells for $30 per Gallon Jug. He said all their oil series are complient with the latest API rating which is SP (this rating was put out by API in May of 2020). When I asked what the difference was between the OE series vs the Signature Series, he said that the lubricity would be the same (slipperyness or ability to reduce friction) but that the signature series would evaportate less than the OE series.

There we have it. In my opinion, the signature series is the way to go if you plan to wait a long period between oil changes, but for those of us that want to change it every 6 months or 5-6K, the OE series should be more than adequate in its 5W30 guise.
Just make sure to use only the one amsoil officially recommends for your car. You'll be relying on their engine warranty as none of them are API certified from amsoil.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Just make sure to use only the one amsoil officially recommends for your car. You'll be relying on their engine warranty as none of them are API certified from amsoil.
Their website recommends the signature series 0w/30 which is SN+ rated so there should be no warranty concerns

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Their website recommends the signature series 0w/30 which is SN+ rated so there should be no warranty concerns
No signature series oil has any api rating. But yes if the website recommends it take a screenshot and it will fall under amsoils warranty.

Obviously the issues with that are that its unlikely any oil that's within spec will cause an engine failure so if you do have an engine failure you could have fca denying warranty coverage citing a non certified oil used.... Then amsoil rightfully denying coverage citing its not their oil that caused the failure.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
No signature series oil has any api rating. But yes if the website recommends it take a screenshot and it will fall under amsoils warranty.

Obviously the issues with that are that its unlikely any oil that's within spec will cause an engine failure so if you do have an engine failure you could have fca denying warranty coverage citing a non certified oil used.... Then amsoil rightfully denying coverage citing its not their oil that caused the failure.
It says here that all of their signature series oils meet the API SN + rating .... is this not true?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It says here that all of their signature series oils meet the API SN + rating .... is this not true?
View attachment 108324

Ah you fell prey to the well known amsoil questionable advertising practices.

Actually if you read it, it says Amsoil themselves recommends you use it in applications that require those certifications.

It says nothing about their oil actually being certified and youll see no required api donuts on the bottle because they dont submit for certification.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Ah you fell prey to the well known amsoil questionable advertising practices.

Actually if you read it, it says Amsoil themselves recommends you use it in applications that require those certifications.

It says nothing about their oil actually being certified and youll see no api donuts on the bottle because they dont submit for certification.
Fair enough, I learned something today....and Im not an Amsoil user by any stretch of the imagination, Im a big fan of the free stuff I get at work...:)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

If the "technical person at AMSOIL" said "there will be no measurable diffrence", then why not run the weight that Alfa calls for? If there is no benefit, why bother? I didn't see your reasoning in the OP (but have seen some others).

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the "technical person at AMSOIL" said "there will be no measurable diffrence", then why not run the weight that Alfa calls for? If there is no benefit, why bother? I didn't see your reasoning in the OP (but have seen some others).
He noted 5W-30 is a lot cheaper than the 0W-30.

EDIT-. Cost reason was in a later post I just reread them....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
220 Posts
You just had to go there, didn’t you....
The oil debate and catch can debate is a forever on going hate fest on the Challenger boards and to a slightly lesser degree the Ram forums. Next we will argue over what makes for a valid Draggy run when it comes to incline....oh, wait....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
To be fair, it just comes down to how I personally make decisions. It's not about my ability to afford it, goodness knows my business has blessed me financially but it's the fact that if the additives are within the SP API Spec, and the viscosity is not an issue for where I live, then why would I spend double on the oil, that's really what it comes down to. I teach my 10 year old that success is all about living by making optimal decisions, so I have to lead by example, and that's all it really comes down to. For better or worse I'm almost (yes there is room for changing my mind) 100% satisfied with the decision. The only reason I hesitate, and only slightly is the fact that Amsoil does recommend the signiture series 0W30, and not the OE, but if they're both API SP, I'm just not that worried. Also, I don't want to get into analysis paralysism... guess I'm already kind of there.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
178 Posts
61 - 80 of 113 Posts