Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just may be a coincidence but: during the first 2k miles with my Ti Sport, I experienced the "engine stall after refuel".. and my oil temp gauge always climbed to 1 above mid. At 2k I had the ECM update, and no more stalls after fuel, and the temp gauge went back to midpoint.

Until...at 3500 miles, I noticed the temp gauge was back to one above mid point - in fact this time around it would go to that point with 5 minutes of startup. This was on 60 degree days. I had one dealer check this, who said it was normal (and the coolant gauge!). The very next day the engine cut all power, started to vibrate and the car turned off (fortunately only going 18 mph at the time).. The fault was "service engine" along with a CEL.. Couldn't shake either warnings.. Had car sent to Ferrari/Maser/Alfa of Seattle (awesome dudes!) and their service tech immediately felt that the car wasn't right.. The scan showed an "engine misfire". According to the service manager, Alfa has notes on this code that first step is to apply an ECM patch (not a universal patch for all Guilias - only those that show the engine misfire error code).. If that doesn't work it's time to get Alfa involved.

Anyways, the patch worked, and I drove 350 miles this weekend - the temp gauge is now back to midpoint and has not gone above this point.. The service manager is researching this, but curious why most Giulias max at on the oil temp at midpoint, but some rise above this. And at least for me, the two times I've climbed above this I've had stall issues. Again could be coincidence, but I will be monitoring this more closely for the foreseeable future.

FYI: Ferr/Maser off Seattle also installed a TSB for the brake pad sensors - the other dealership missed this! My FMOS service manager says the first screen he saw when he pulled up my VIN was "This car has an active campaign " in reference to the brake sensors.. Anyways to repeat the obvious the service end of things really matters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Giulia oil temperature always runs one line above midline regardless of outside temperature. I believe that is normal.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My Giulia oil temperature is also stable around the 'one notch above' position, since day one. Always normal to me for these cars, but some say software updates from dealer will push it to just the center line. Not too concerned yet

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I was told by a Dealer tech that the brake sensor tsb was to reroute the wear sensor wire so that it doesn't pull on it's mooring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took my Giulia for an oil change and some "upgrades". I noted that the running oil temperature dropped from one notch above the midline to the midline after the "upgrade". I had read in this Forum that was to be expected.
Does that mean the engine is now running a little cooler after the "upgrade", or it is simply a recalibration of the temperature gauge?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My TI Q4 was running one sometimes 2 bars above the halfway point, after the update it holds at the half way point. So the question is, was it a computer fix or did they tweak the computer to make it so it looks like it not running hot?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine was always one above, until a day where it ran rough, declared electronic throttle fault, shook like it was going to fly apart from a misfire, and then MIL. The SW updates fixed all that, no problems since, and oil gauge runs normal at dead center on 105-110 F days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts