Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the 1 year service. Does anyone have a picture of what the oil level indicator should read? I'm guessing the minimum line is on the left. Anyway, mine is reading 3/4s between the two lines.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You are correct.
Sounds like you are a bit below the proper full level.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called the dealer and after the service desk man spoke to the tech they said it is in the normal range. So I'll monitor it weekly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I understand, it is in the normal operating range. My owners manual states it takes 5 1/2 qts of oil to fill it. I wonder (not sure at all) if they only put in 5 qts so they do not have to measure out 1/2 a qt and keep the left over around. I understand if it gets overfilled, it can be a pain to remove the overages, which has to be done per Alfa.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It actually said 6 qts were used on the service ticket, but I wouldn't doubt that they would use 5. The engineers should of designed a sump that fit 6. I'm wondering if it reads that way because you are checking the oil with it running. A simple dip stick would of worked. On a side note, when I called the dealer about the oil level the service tech asked me where the oil is on the dip stick. I said "what dipstick"? He was silent on the other end until i told him Giulias don't have a dip stick, only the Quad does.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I just came back from the 1 year service. Does anyone have a picture of what the oil level indicator should read? I'm guessing the minimum line is on the left. Anyway, mine is reading 3/4s between the two lines.
Just got mine back from the dealer for the 10k mile service (which I had done at 4K) and the oil indicator shows exactly at the max line on the right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dodge dealership or Maserati? Just wondering.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Alfa 55 My observation has been Maserati service is much better than Dodge service. It's the difference in quality of vehicles.

Reactions: Macdeath and alfa55

·
Registered
691 Posts
Alfa 55 My observation has been Maserati service is much better than Dodge service. It's the difference in quality of vehicles.
My experience as well....by leaps and miles.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had my 2.0L Giulia's first year service recently at my new dealer (Seattle Ferrari/Naserati/Alfa Romeo). Before I had the 6 bar oil level indicator which was very accurate IMO at 8.5 ounces per bar. Those who couldn't figure when the bar was down two bars meant about 17 ounces down wanted a dip stock. I kept mine at the 5-6 bar level.

After the software update, I now have the new style left to right oil line see photo below. I did not have the dealer use the Mopar oil because I could not get any confirmation from ARC that this Mopar oil specifically met the Fiat spec 9.555.35-GS1. The service/parts folks both said I was welcome to bring my own oil. I brought my own oil, 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30, plus a partial bottle from which which I had used 3 ounces before for a slight top up. As I requested, they returned to me the 5 empty bottles plus the partially full 6th bottle. The partially full bottle was down about 14.5 ounces from the amount I brought in the 6th bottle. That means they added a total of approx 5.45 qts of oil. I asked them to be sure it was not overfilled as I always do. That level IMO is perfect. A hair less than full. Measuring on my screen the top (right vertical mark) to bottom (left vertical mark) mark on the new line, the oil is equal to about the 85% level on this line, again perfect.

I know I got a little detailed here but wanted to point out that although there are no level marks on this new scale, that very close to the far right is ideal for me. If in the future I see the oil line go down to about the half mark then I'll top off with 2-4 ounces and see how that raises the line, preferably at the 3/4 - 7/8. Is everyone happy now? :D

Attachments

Reactions: kostaki

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I had my 2.0L Giulia's first year service recently at my new dealer (Seattle Ferrari/Naserati/Alfa Romeo). Before I had the 6 bar oil level indicator which was very accurate IMO at 8.5 ounces per bar. Those who couldn't figure when the bar was down two bars meant about 17 ounces down wanted a dip stock. I kept mine at the 5-6 bar level.

After the software update, I now have the new style left to right oil line see photo below. I did not have the dealer use the Mopar oil because I could not get any confirmation from ARC that this Mopar oil specifically met the Fiat spec 9.555.35-GS1. The service/parts folks both said I was welcome to bring my own oil. I brought my own oil, 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30, plus a partial bottle from which which I had used 3 ounces before for a slight top up. As I requested, they returned to me the 5 empty bottles plus the partially full 6th bottle. The partially full bottle was down about 14.5 ounces from the amount I brought in the 6th bottle. That means they added a total of approx 5.45 qts of oil. I asked them to be sure it was not overfilled as I always do. That level IMO is perfect. A hair less than full. Measuring on my screen the top (right vertical mark) to bottom (left vertical mark) mark on the new line, the oil is equal to about the 85% level on this line, again perfect.

I know I got a little detailed here but wanted to point out that although there are no level marks on this new scale, that very close to the far right is ideal for me. If in the future I see the oil line go down to about the half mark then I'll top off with 2-4 ounces and see how that raises the line, preferably at the 3/4 - 7/8. Is everyone happy now? :D
Mine looks like this. Unfortunately my dealer is Fiat, Chrysler, Alfa. They are opening a Maserati, Alfa dealership in the near future.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just had my oil changed by dealer yesterday. They told me they use the MOPAR 0W-30. I would be surprised it it didn't meet the Alfa spec. I'll bring my own Euro LX 0W-30 next time just to be sure.

Anyway, the service adviser told me they put precisely 5.48 quarts in the 2.0L Giulia engine. My oil gauge shows less than before the change, but well within the normal range.. about 2/3rds across the level indicator between the min and max lines..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Adding another reference point to the 2.0 engine. when I did my oil change with a Mobil 1 oil filter. I added total of 5 quarts and 446 ml. that's equal to 5.47 quarts. You can see i stopped the last bottle at the 500ml mark. And my oil indicator is perfectly at the max line on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be advised that the oil light bar may not immediately register accurately. I changed the oil and filter myself last Friday before leaving Saturday on a 180 mile road trip. The bar was showing one light short of full even though I had carefully measured and filled with 5 1/2 quarts. Even though I knew the oil was well within the safe range, if I'm running any distance at highway speed, I like to have the oil at max level. So I'm driving up the interstate pretty much watching my oil level light and wondering if my oil level sensor has gone goofy or whether I made an error in measuring. I had already decided I would not try to top off the oil when after about 30 miles the last light on the bar suddenly lit, where it has since stayed.

RANT: Why couldn't Alfa just have designed in a dipstick. Electronics sometimes fail, dipsticks don't. If I had been driving in town for a couple of days until I hit 30 miles, I may have topped off my oil and overfilled my crankcase.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The oil level display does seem a bit strange and inconsistent. I have a 2018 with just a bar and two index marks (low and full). After a precise 5.48 quarts on the oil change, my "gauge" read about 2/3rds across the bar. Well within the safe range. However, after a couple of hundred miles, it changed to read about 7/8th's full (which is where it was before the oil change). Very weird for sure. I don't understand what is causing this strange behavior (other than it's Italian.. as I am). Definitely agree a dipstick would have been welcome.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,837 Posts
I believe you have to follow the instructions of idling the car for 5 minutes - i topped up 200mls and idled for 5 minutes and it didnt change - i then switched it off and back on again, and it updated after ignition
i dont think driving it updates it
the other thing is that bar only represents about 1 litre of the total oil in the sump - if you are topping up only add 100mls at a time as overfilling can cause problems*

·
Registered
857 Posts
I believe you have to follow the instructions of idling the car for 5 minutes - i topped up 200mls and idled for 5 minutes and it didnt change - i then switched it off and back on again, and it updated after ignition
i dont think driving it updates it
the other thing is that bar only represents about 1 litre of the total oil in the sump - if you are topping up only add 100mls at a time as overfilling can cause problems*
Interesting point Pappa Gallo. Wondering why it updates after an on/off ignition cycle - that makes topping it up a bit time -consuming perhaps? At this point, I haven't needed any top up oil yet, with about 2,500 miles on the car and it still has all the bars illuminated.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,837 Posts
you should be right for a few thousand more -

btw, IF you get an oil degradation warning "change engine oil" be assured it is only a calculation based on your driving habits - lots of short trips will trigger it before your scheduled maintenance service, in which case it means you have to go in and either just change the oil and filter and go back in a couple of thousand miles for the service or just have the whole service done there and then

i like to change my oil every 6 months or 7,000 klms

·
Registered
68 Posts
oil level gauge

What is the name/number for the update that makes the oil level gauge clearer? I have an appointment next week and I want to ask for it. I have a 2.0 btw. Thanks

1 - 20 of 49 Posts