Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil consumption are you experiencing?

I have logged about 1400 miles, and the 'Car' display is a 'notch' below full.
The dipstick shows about 1/8" below the top.
The oil looks very clean.

I guess that corresponds to about 8 oz. (1/4 qt.) down.

·
Registered
94 Posts

It is not uncommon to use oil in a high performance car especially a turbo car. The harder you drive it, the more you will use. I was with BMW for 20 years and they said that 1qt every 1000 miles was normal depending on how you drove. Our customers are about the same may be a little less than your reading.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Mine doesn't seem to be burning much oil after 5000 miles. One thing I noticed is when I picked it up, it was actually about a 1/4 under full. I'm wondering if they fill them to "Full" when new....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to be burning much oil after 5000 miles. One thing I noticed is when I picked it up, it was actually about a 1/4 under full. I'm wondering if they fill them to "Full" when new....

Using 1 quart per 1000 miles as claimed by the previous poster is not right for a modern engine. Jag's 1960s 3.8L engine with total loss lubrication of the valve stems and blue exhaust uses 1 quart/1000 miles.

Slight underfill (relative to FULL) of the engine is best--since overfilling can be disastrous and at a minimum cause increased fuel consumption. However, anywhere between the recommended lines should be OK for on-road driving. For sustained high-g, high-RPM race driving YMMV.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 2000 miles on my QV and it's mostly hard high rpm driving. The oil marker was filled by the factory one bar below maximum and thus hasn't changed in 2000 miles. The dipstick shows virtually zero oil consumption as well. Another QV owner I know with Similar miles has experienced virtually no consumption either. Very reassuring. IMO and experience the engine oil level should ideally be at least one bar below full on any performance car due to oil expansion with heat during high rpm use and as the previous poster mentioned the potential for damage (oil film intake manifold and blow back) by over filling. Fir the QV at least the engine thermal management system both coolant and oil seems to be well engineered. Even in track our oil consumption hasn't increased and oil temperate remains perfectly stable....

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
787 Posts
No such thing as zero oil consumption, oil has to lubricate the cylinder walls or you would wear out the rings very quickly. A minute amount is burned away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Using 1 quart per 1000 miles as claimed by the previous poster is not right for a modern engine. Jag's 1960s 3.8L engine with total loss lubrication of the valve stems and blue exhaust uses 1 quart/1000 miles.

Slight underfill (relative to FULL) of the engine is best--since overfilling can be disastrous and at a minimum cause increased fuel consumption. However, anywhere between the recommended lines should be OK for on-road driving. For sustained high-g, high-RPM race driving YMMV.

Well sense you seem to know here is a part of the TSB for oil consumption from BMW I was not saying it was right or if I think that it is ok stating facts that high performance engines can and will use oil.

Information
All engines normally consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and turbocharger(s), if equipped. In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore, engine oil consumption complaints received prior to 6,000 miles cannot be considered.
Once a new or re-manufactured engine has accumulated 6,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.
Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine.
All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized. Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.
Oil Consumption specification:
- All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
- Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I checked the oil level when brand new to keep track of consumption. As I have always done, I checked it in the morning, when the engine was cold. It was about a third down form the full notch (this is a QV).

Over the next 3000 miles I checked the oil numerous times and it didn't move at all, so I just assumed it was under filled from the factory.

Had the oil changed, and was surprised to see it was down a third from the full notch the very morning after I had it changed!

Stopped by the dealer the next morning and he explained that the oil should be checked when the engine is at full operating temp, and after it has been turned off for 2-3 mins. Sure enough, when I checked it later that morning as instructed, it was right at the full notch. Later that day, after work, when the engine was cold, it was once again down about a third on the dipstick.

The tech made a point of telling me NOT to put any oil in it if, when cold, the level is about 1/3 down from full. That will overfill the sump and cause blow-by.

I then recalled that our 500X was exactly the same. The 500X never burned a drop of oil, and the QV hasn't either.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thought I would add that our LE 4C, which has been modified, has never burned a drop of oil. Now has 17,000+ miles of fairly hard driving and track time, as well. Oil changes every 5K or so.

Interestingly enough, the oil level on the dipstick is at the full mark, whether it is checked cold or hot.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Well sense you seem to know here is a part of the TSB for oil consumption from BMW I was not saying it was right or if I think that it is ok stating facts that high performance engines can and will use oil.

Information
All engines normally consume a certain amount of engine oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, valves and turbocharger(s), if equipped. In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional engine oil because the internal engine components are not fully seated (break-in). Therefore, engine oil consumption complaints received prior to 6,000 miles cannot be considered.
Once a new or re-manufactured engine has accumulated 6,000 miles, oil consumption can be considered if there is a drastic change in the engine oil consumption rate (e.g., the engine oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions.
Engines equipped with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than normally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged). The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine.
All turbocharged engines also require a complex crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation system needs to maintain a small vacuum on the crankcase and not allow the crankcase to be pressurized. Pressurizing the engine crankcase can lead to external engine oil leaks and increased engine oil consumption via the piston rings and valve seals. When the load and the boost level of a turbocharged engine is varied, the path of the crankcase pressure is changed. During the crankcase ventilation path transition, a small amount of engine oil will pass through the crankcase ventilation system and is additionally consumed. The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect.
Oil Consumption specification:
- All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
- Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time.
All of which sounds to me like excuses from BMW for a poor design; it doesn't make it "right". If the turbo is leaking anything like 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles into the intake your intake valves will get choked with carbon; likewise for the crankcase ventilation or the combination of crankcase ventilation and turbo charger. My Cummins Diesel (18 psig boost) dumps the crankcase breather output into a catch cup (I have no idea how this passes smog, but that is the OEM design). The catch cup averages 2 ounces of oil when I change the oil at 6000 miles. The dip stick reading has never budged between oil changes, except the one time the engine developed an external leak. Unlike your car, this engine is highly stressed just to go the speedlimit on the freeway.

Note the numerous people who indicate no measurable oil consumption on their various Alfas posted here. I expect the Alfas used *some* oil, but not enough to measure given the measurement accuracy.

The one forum member who DID report noticeable oil consumption with his Giulia had a severely defective engine (the oil was leaking into the coolant) and it blew up shortly after he reported the issue. AR replaced that engine under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My QV had to have a quart added after 1500 miles and now at about 2800 the level has decreased again. I can’t imagine that adding a quart every 1500 miles is anywhere normal for this car. But dealer inspected it and did not see anything wrong or any leaks. I’m not really satisfied with their answer and will advise next time I take it in.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My QV had to have a quart added after 1500 miles and now at about 2800 the level has decreased again. I can’️t imagine that adding a quart every 1500 miles is anywhere normal for this car. But dealer inspected it and did not see anything wrong or any leaks. I’️m not really satisfied with their answer and will advise next time I take it in.
That’s expected if you are driving it hard. Not sure why that’s cause for concern. I would think most cars burn oil between changes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1 quart every ~1500 miles? Seems like quite a bit IMO.

For a world class engine like the 2.9TT in the QV, worth it? But yeah, I'm curious to know if this is really within normal oil consumption estimates.

·
Registered
850 Posts
having just had a failed cat converter on a Jag, a very expensive repair, I wonder if that much oil going downstream will hasten the failure of the cats. While oil is cheap, and engines are expensive, so are cats.

NV

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My QV had to have a quart added after 1500 miles and now at about 2800 the level has decreased again. I can’️t imagine that adding a quart every 1500 miles is anywhere normal for this car. But dealer inspected it and did not see anything wrong or any leaks. I’️m not really satisfied with their answer and will advise next time I take it in.
1 quart every 1500 seems excessive. I have 4800 miles on my qv and drive it pretty hard, and that includes a track day. Still haven't gone through a quart yet.

If the oil isn't coming out of the bottom of the car, usually that means it's coming out the tail pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts