Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cost of oil filter? I have always done my own oil changes, have on order a TI. Can't find any info on oil filter. I'm 68 and been doing my own since teen years (even Audi S4). Its a good time to get to know your car, whats normal and to look for any leaks, no matter how small.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$64.50 for a oil filter, not that I'm cheep I allways use the factory one, but that crazy. Oil filters do more than just filter, back pressure, some have anti-back flow valve, and or by pass valve built in. But this is a cartridge which is only filter media plus cap.

Reactions: Russell DeJulio

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cost of oil filter? I have always done my own oil changes, have on order a TI. Can't find any info on oil filter. I'm 68 and been doing my own since teen years (even Audi S4). Its a good time to get to know your car, whats normal and to look for any leaks, no matter how small.
Filter, plug and washer r normally not expensive from dealership. Im a used European car dealer in US. Some time their oil is even more value than buy from suppliers. Maserati and astrin's filters r like 20-30 USD each if not mistaken

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Filter, plug and washer r normally not expensive from dealership. Im a used European car dealer in US. Some time their oil is even more value than buy from suppliers. Maserati and astrin's filters r like 20-30 USD each if not mistaken
Yup and Ferrari 80 to 100 USD. What you are seeing is new technology. Plastic plumbing with simplified filter set up. Cartridge material only. Maybe the back flow valve and everything is in the cartridge, maybe in the container. With aluminum engines and light weight oils, it looks like plastic is the new norm.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
All cars I think, but QV may be larger. I think this is the new norm. New Mazdas have cartridges from what I've heard. And even if you get one and do it yourself, I would prime the cartridge before installing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not like cartridge filters. Had one on a Mercedes-Benz years back. It always made a mess when changing it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had cartridge before, I always prime (either type) if I can (filter must be vertical and with cartridge upside down).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Getting software updated and having an initial oil change at 1,200 miles. Probably a waste of money, but often there is some metallic residue from break-in period, so since I bought instead of leased the car, I'm springing for it to be over the top pro-active. Should know the dealership cost by days end.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'm with you...I have always done things better than the manufact. suggestions and it always paid off..as I too own my cars..
on my wife's cars however which are leases....its going back in 3 years so I don't give a hoot....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Got my software updated and oil changed. No cost for the oil change.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Vendor
3,725 Posts

·
Vendor
3,725 Posts
ti
https://alfissimo.com/home/1251-giulia-20l-oil-filter.html

quad
https://alfissimo.com/home/1247-guilia-quad-oil-filter-oem.html

I am also going to carry specific oils like Selenia. But it's going to be a bit to get that in. I do have AGIP, FUCHS and others that comply with Fiat/Alfa spec.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
rip - do you know how to reset the infotainment? I would like to do mine once the left is in but would like to be 100% i'm not going to be driving around with that off

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm about to change my oil and I already have my filter. But its always good to have a non dealer source for maintenance parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts