Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically change oil once a year which equates to about 10k miles of driving for me.

With covid this year, I'm coming up on a year since my last oil change but only about 3k miles vs my normal 10k of driving this year.

Should I still change the oil, or should I wait until I get closer to the 10k since my last change? I don't think my driving habits will change much until covid is over, so I'd prefer to wait to change the oil but want to know people's thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I typically change oil once a year which equates to about 10k miles of driving for me.

With covid this year, I'm coming up on a year since my last oil change but only about 3k miles vs my normal 10k of driving this year.

Should I still change the oil, or should I wait until I get closer to the 10k since my last change? I don't think my driving habits will change much until covid is over, so I'd prefer to wait to change the oil but want to know people's thoughts.

Thanks
I just change once a year regardless. For me, that’s about every 4K miles. Heck, I even change it in my Triumph every year, and that’s about 1k miles. I don’t have any great technical rationale other than oil is cheap and life is long.

Reactions: -ds-

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just changed mine. I did it myself for the first time. I probably only put about 3k miles on it.

On the QV, it as about $150 plus an hour of your time. Why not?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
For 35+ years I have maintained and serviced many different enthusiast, as well as pedestrian vehicles, as a professional technician. For the first decade, or two, it was always, change the oil at least once a year independent of (low) mileage. For about 20 years or so, I've softened, and now advise to my clients, as well as for my collection (from lawn mowers and golf carts and Kubota D, to Ducati and Yamaha and Porsche and Ferrari, Alfa and many others) every two years, independent of (low) mileage. My advice for your new Giulia, every two years or 10k, whichever comes first. And if you plan on going for 200k or more, lower the mileage side to less than 10k. Let the arguments - comments begin!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the comments above. My previous car (01 TT) was changed once a year coinciding with the winter to summer tire swap. With the Giulia, I am going to follow the manual until out of warranty, then shift to once a year. Don't want to give anyone an excuse to void the warranty.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I think the oil change tracker in the infotainment tracks the time to change the oil (up to 365 days) as well as the miles to change the oil (up to 10,000 miles). So, whatever happens first, the oil should be changed, as far as I understood. In my case, it will happen also at 365 days as I am driving like 200 miles per month these days.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll probably wait until next spring. That will only add an extra 4-5 months and then align my oil change with my summer swap vs an off cycle trip every January

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just change once a year regardless. For me, that’s about every 4K miles. Heck, I even change it in my Triumph every year, and that’s about 1k miles. I don’t have any great technical rationale other than oil is cheap and life is long.
I just bought my new one on Oct 15th, and I have 4300 miles on it!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Like others have stated, minimum once a year regardless of kms. If you put very low kms a year on it, maybe you can get away with just changing oil and leave the filter alone? But really i'd just change both, cheap insurance for the long run, if you plan to keep it well out of the warranty period.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I don’t get how you guys drive like 3k miles per year!! 😂

I do 6 times that!! 😳
I used to have a daily 60 mile commute, now I'm wfh.

I live in NYC so as much as I love the qv, having to drive an hour to an hour and a half just to get to nice roads is a deterrent; 3 hours of driving to go driving for an hour or two lol, so I don't do it often.

And each new pothole I hit and wheel/tire that gets destroyed really saps my motivation.

But I bought my qv to keep so I will be piling the miles eventually. I'm at 23k currently.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Been interested in engine lubrication since the mid '60's, but I am no engineer. Modern motor oils are superb products, and I remember when one could buy "re-refined" oil in gas bottles at gas stations. And for many older engines, I suppose that was just fine. And when if you wanted a more viscous oil, you had to buy motorcycle oil, as 40 wt was just not very available, for sure not in 10-40 ranges. And I was in Germany when Mobil 1 synthetics first appeared and when Porsche engines who used it showed up with damaged engines from failed bearings.

Modern engine oils have additive packages for things like anti-foam, detergents, corrosion & viscosity controllers, and so much more. But it is also true that just about any oil worked fine 30 years ago, and us drivers could make decisions as to viscosity and such with good results, (and some not so good results), nowadays engines are likewise extremely complex, with things like hot viscosity managing cam/valve timing. Motor oils are subject to shear, changing their viscosity, but one of the reasons for timely changes is acid contamination from blow-by and fuel and water contamination, the latter worse with shorter trips.

So it is the additive package that can be exhausted both by mileage and contamination, hence the recommendation for changes both for time and mileage, and operating conditions.

In all of our cars, they get their oil changed at no more than about half of the manufacture's schedule based on mileage.

On other car forums, there a difference in opinion when a car is not driven in winter months, changing before storage, or before resuming driving. Engines last longest if operated to temp rather than just a quick start and turn off.

As I have said before, my mantra is "...oil is cheap, engines are expensive." NAM VET

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the oil change tracker in the infotainment tracks the time to change the oil (up to 365 days) as well as the miles to change the oil (up to 10,000 miles). So, whatever happens first, the oil should be changed, as far as I understood. In my case, it will happen also at 365 days as I am driving like 200 miles per month these days.
that's true. Mine went off at 2 months because the car sat on the lot for 10 months and they forgot to reset it when I bought it. Not a problem, a quick in and out and a free cup of coffee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can change out oil yourself on these cars without systems yelling at you? I've heard people say this is not possible as the dealer has a special tool to do this. This is of course hearsay, so don't know how much stock to put into it. I am really interested in a marked-down 2020 base.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can change out oil yourself on these cars without systems yelling at you? I've heard people say this is not possible as the dealer has a special tool to do this. This is of course hearsay, so don't know how much stock to put into it. I am really interested in a marked-down 2020 base.
Oil can be done yourself. Lots of people have done it. Here is even a video

Reactions: vedant

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe you're thinking about resetting the maintenance interval screen? You do need MES and the hardware connector to do that I believe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts