Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read lots of posts regarding the problem of resetting the maintenance reminder, especially if the SGW is installed. But the manual has the following procedure which is quoted below:

"Oil Change Indicator - Reset
  • To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure
  • Place the ignition in the ON position. (Do not start the engine.)
  • Fully push the accelerator pedal slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
  • Place the ignition in the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."

So the question: Does this work? It isn't time yet for me to change oil so I haven't tried it. Would like to know if this has been tried.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that procedure will only reset the oil change indicator on the instrument panel's center display, but will not change the service interval displayed by the infotainment system.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think that procedure will only reset the oil change indicator on the instrument panel's center display, but will not change the service interval displayed by the infotainment system.
Realistically, that’s not so bad is it? It’s the dash light that can be intrusive anyway. If the infotainment countdown hits zero, it doesn’t hit you with any warnings, does it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Realistically, that’s not so bad is it? It’s the dash light that can be intrusive anyway. If the infotainment countdown hits zero, it doesn’t hit you with any warnings, does it?
So I decided to take the 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia to the local Firestone shop near my home. Had the new tires mounted there and the service managers were wonderful. The technicians were good to the car and were very careful. So I decided to get the oil changed at the same location. The service manager ordered the CORRECT oil and filter and did the job for $71.41. Price included tax and all the shop charges. Of course, they weren't able to reset the SERVICE INDICATOR, but the service manager said he would research. So he did and called me the same day. I took the car the following day and was able to reset the SERVICE INDICATOR that comes up on the dash. He had the WiTech product and with some patience he was successful. He was VERY happy that he not only learned something but was able to do and provided great customer satisfaction. To the team at Firestone in Northfield, NJ. you have a new and loyal customer!

Regards,
Ray

·
Registered
149 Posts
@alfan , where are you seeing this in the manual? I just checked my '18 manual again and am not finding this language anywhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@alfan , where are you seeing this in the manual? I just checked my '18 manual again and am not finding this language anywhere.
You're right, it isn't in the owner's manual or anywhere else in the owner's packet. It is in the shop manual that I bought from techauthority.com. The manual is for the 2017 model year - there isn't one for the 2018. I have read that there are errors in it but it's better than nothing.

Reactions: FirstTimeAlfa

·
Registered
244 Posts
It worked for me.
The mechanic who mounted my tires was able to reset the maintenance minder but for some reason could not reset the Oil Change Required alert. I tried the procedure a few times, pushing the pedal slowly as instructed but no luck. Then I tried depressing it rapidly and VIOLA !

Reactions: steel609 and alfan

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've read lots of posts regarding the problem of resetting the maintenance reminder, especially if the SGW is installed. But the manual has the following procedure which is quoted below:

• To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."

So the question: Does this work? It isn't time yet for me to change oil so I haven't tried it. Would like to know if this has been tried.
Like several other things in the manual, I think this does not work at least in my MY2018 Sept 2017 built Giulia.
Also, I don't see a means to reset this indicator in MES. Maybe someone else knows where it is?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Like several other things in the manual, I think this does not work at least in my MY2018 Sept 2017 built Giulia.
Also, I don't see a means to reset this indicator in MES. Maybe someone else knows where it is?
Hard to miss, it's under service ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Like several other things in the manual, I think this does not work at least in my MY2018 Sept 2017 built Giulia
I just went round and round with Alfa Care about this. They gave me instruments via email on how to reset the light which of course didn’t work. If this procedure works for you, consider yourself lucky. For the vast majority, it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I just went round and round with Alfa Care about this. They gave me instruments via email on how to reset the light which of course didn’t work. If this procedure works for you, consider yourself lucky. For the vast majority, it doesn’t work.
On the 4th try it appears to have worked. 10 seconds counts from when you hit start-stop, not from when everything is "settled".
As others have said, this procedure resets the instrument panel indicator. The infotainment indicator reset is separate. MES can reset it; probably torque too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As others have said, this procedure resets the instrument panel indicator. The infotainment indicator reset is separate. MES can reset it; probably torque too.
I was able to reset the service counter in the infotainment screen using a Launch Diagun (it will do a lot of other tasks on this car as well—I have not had an opportunity to explore its full capabilities on my Alfa).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this! It was driving me crazy! it worked on MY18 Giulia and my Dad‘s Stelvio also an !18.

·
Registered
20 Posts

This process worked for my 2017. Did it couple of times before the reset light went off. I think the trick is to firmly press the accelerator pedal where there is a "click" pressure all three times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you saying this should be done along with the maintenance interval reset?
Yes,
you must perform “service reset” and “change oil”.
For petrol cars have nosense because you change oil every maintenaince, but for diesel cars it’s possible doing maintenance without change oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes,
For petrol cars have nosense because you change oil every maintenaince, but for diesel cars it’s possible doing maintenance without change oil.
Yes,
Hey Centoos. Thank you much. My 2017 flashed the oil change required at 26,000 miles. The Multiecuscan 4.5 worked great. 50 Pounds (not sure in dollars....I'm sure my bank will do the conversion) for the Multicuscan and $20 for the ELM327 WiFi. Reset both the Oil and Service procedures and everything looks good.

I was able to reset the instrument panel with the "press the accelerator pedal 3 times" thing but unable to reset the info system bothered me. So happy now that Multiecuscan worked to reset the info system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts