Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post the breakdown from my most recent visit for an oil change last month

$100 for the filter
$31 for the gasket
$8.5 per quart = $69 for oil (8 quarts seems like a lot; I think I remember Auto fanatic using 6-7 in his video)
Parts total of $200

$189 per hour labor at 1.5 hours
Labor total of $283

Total for oil change of $483

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's pricey. The official Alfa dealer where I'm at charges $179 and another authorized technician near me charges about $80. After my warranty is up, I'll be going to the cheaper place.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pricey. The official Alfa dealer where I'm at charges $179 and another authorized technician near me charges about $80. After my warranty is up, I'll be going to the cheaper place.
Yeah it is; they are the most expensive dealer around but they do the best work.

I know their labor rate is high, but what about the parts?

·
Registered
2018 TI, Rosso competizione, tan leather.
23 Posts
Parts alone tend to be quite expensive, due to the unusual filter and fancy oil: Oil Change Kit Giulia Stelvio Quad OEM | Centerline International
I can understand one hour in labor, start to finish. You can DIY or take to any shop and maintain the factory warranty, just keep records and use OEM parts to avoid any challenges.
$179 seems like a good deal. $80 is suspiciously low. $483 is robbery.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The filter and gasket for the 2.9 is ridiculously expensive compared to the 2.0

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Yeah it is; they are the most expensive dealer around but they do the best work.

I know their labor rate is high, but what about the parts?
Its a complete rip off, both parts and labor and I have no idea how they can justify it.
if it takes anyone 1.5 hours to do an oil change they are incompetent.
our customer labor for an oil change is .4 ..thats 24 minutes and its plenty of time unless your retarded

·
Registered
530 Posts
OP has a quad, I believe. I just got my first and last free oil change. Dealer quoted about the same price for the quad and $199 for my ti.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My dealership lists their oil and filter together as "Kit: PK5: 2.0 Alfa Oil Change". Here is my breakdown:

$64.95 for Oil & Filter
$25.00 for Labor
$1.00 for Disposal Fee

$90.95 = Total (excluding tax)

This is at Genesis Alfa Romeo FIAT in Macomb, MI (Metro Detroit) as of December 2020.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think there is a difference between oil/filter changes (labor and parts) between QVs and 2.0L's. In all above posts, it would be great to specify 2.0L's or QVs just to benchmark correctly.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did ask the dealership to also change my cabin filter. I didn't see it broken out on the invoice but that might be why it took 1.5 hours. Although I just looked at the last oil change they did last year and it was the same price and time and I didn't have the cabin filter changed then

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
When I was trained as a GM Line Technician, an "Oil Change Service" included changing the engine oil and filter, checking and topping-up all fluids including: auto or manual transmission, final drive, transfer case (if 4WD), power steering or manual box, windshield washer, and battery electrolyte. Also: check and set FIVE tire pressures, lubricate all door and hood and trunk hinges and latches, and the bump-stops for the hood and trunk. Also: using a grease gun, add grease to suspension joints and propeller and drive shafts that have zerk fittings, dab grease on the steering stops, and spray lube the anti-sway bar bushings at the chassis and suspension. A visual inspection of all of the above components with any deficiencies noted on the invoice, as well. Is this how it is still done at your shop @Crosshairs ?
If you just want your engine oil and filter changed, so be it. But remember, with newer 10k mile (or longer) oil change intervals, which can be a year or longer for some (especially these days), there is more maintenance required if you want to keep your ride safe and happy.

Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I knew that I forgot a big one; add brake and clutch fluid to the above post.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I was trained as a GM Line Technician, an "Oil Change Service" included changing the engine oil and filter, checking and topping-up all fluids including: auto or manual transmission, final drive, transfer case (if 4WD), power steering or manual box, windshield washer, and battery electrolyte. Also: check and set FIVE tire pressures, lubricate all door and hood and trunk hinges and latches, and the bump-stops for the hood and trunk. Also: using a grease gun, add grease to suspension joints and propeller and drive shafts that have zerk fittings, dab grease on the steering stops, and spray lube the anti-sway bar bushings at the chassis and suspension. A visual inspection of all of the above components with any deficiencies noted on the invoice, as well. Is this how it is still done at your shop @Crosshairs ?
If you just want your engine oil and filter changed, so be it. But remember, with newer 10k mile (or longer) oil change intervals, which can be a year or longer for some (especially these days), there is more maintenance required if you want to keep your ride safe and happy.
That's quite a bit more than just an oil change. If all of that is included, I'd feel better about the ~$400 price for the complete service. $500, however, still feels like a ripoff to me. I'd never pay that. Are they topping-off with plutonium? :oops:

·
Registered
161 Posts
It seems that alfa dealerships in my area that are also FIAT dealerships have cheaper oil change prices (and other services) than the alfa/maserati (no fiat) dealerships which want $400+ for a barebones oil change on a ti. But who knows how long fiat will be around.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
You get an oil and filter and washer fluid topped up.. brake fluid level gets checked ...no one checks trans fluid or anything else that is not leaking....and there are no fittings to grease.

all cars have TPMS so a quick look at the dash tells you what tires if any need to be aired up.
The days of lathering grease all over someones cars are gone,...there is no need to lube door hinges or bushings and all that other shit they did 30 years ago . if anything it will cause more damage than good.
Any tech that cant do all of this in 20 minutes on a 2.9 or a 2.0 needs to rethink their career choice.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I order the oil change "kit" from Centerline. ~$150. Local Euro shop charges $50 labor.

I avoid the dealer like the plague.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,769 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dealership in NJ charges $220.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts