Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came from the large hemi Dodge world where oil catch cans were all the rage. Half the people on those forums were positive they were adding to the life of their car by capturing the oil vapors before they could dirty up their intake and valves.

The other half argued it's not really necessary on a naturally aspirated motor, especially when fuel is spraying on said valves. I was in this camp and never added one.

Now however with a turbo car and direct injection I'm wondering if this is something we should all be bugging vendors to take our money for?

Thoughts? Feels?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a 2010 Camaro SS and when I had a performance cam put in, I was amazed at the amount of oil that was in the intake runners. After seeing that, I installed an oil catch can. It does work. I've seen a small amount of oil in the bottom of it collected over time, which otherwise would have made it into the intake area.

As far at the Giulia goes, I don't know anything about its engine plumbing. It doesn't even have an oil dipstick (which I'm personally not a fan of). Does it use oil vapor recirculation or recovery?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, it does. There are 3 oil vapor separators: one for the vapors coming from the oil pan, which are routed to the intake duct before the turbocharger, and a 2-stage system for the vapors coming from the engine block, which are routed to the intake manifold. This system also has a valve that closes when the depression in the manifold gets too high and could suck oil in.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yes, it does. There are 3 oil vapor separators: one for the vapors coming from the oil pan, which are routed to the intake duct before the turbocharger, and a 2-stage system for the vapors coming from the engine block, which are routed to the intake manifold. This system also has a valve that closes when the depression in the manifold gets too high and could suck oil in.
Is there any reason for this other than emissions requirements? Does the turbo benefit from this?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Is there any reason for this other than emissions requirements? Does the turbo benefit from this?
My Cummins Diesel just has a catch cup with no connection to the intake. This is the original setup. Somehow that passes emissions for a MY 2000 Diesel. The problem is that the fumes waft into the cabin and are really obnoxious.

It takes about 10,000 miles for the cup to overflow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless someone shows oil film in the intake manifold or turbo outlet, a catch can is probably not beneficial on these cars. I run an air oil separator on my track car due to high boost and loose piston clearances which creates more blow by.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Searched the forum about this topic and haven’t seen someone publish info on installation of a oil catch can. Alfissimo, Madness offer any Ti or Quadrifolgio specific solutions? Has anyone installed one? Looking to keep my girl for a long time and would like to avoid or minimize carbon buildup on intake valves and manifold ports. This is a problem on virtually every turbocharged direct injection vehicle although extent of buildup will vary based on many factors that are engine specific (i.e. boost pressure, turbo seals, etc). Additional thoughts? Mac geek, can you provide any info on what has been seen on autopsied engines?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
I think the subject was brought up before and an insanely complex pcv system was talked about. Could be quite interesting to figure out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the subject was brought up before and an insanely complex pcv system was talked about. Could be quite interesting to figure out.
Yes, lots of info on this topic on YouTube for those that are unfamiliar. Not just an Alfa issue but certainly something those of us who are in for the long haul should be concerned with. Did read we have complex PCV system. Would think Madness or Alfisimo could sort it out. Definitely a product I would buy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've been hoping for a professional looking solution for a over a year now. I have seen some SAE journals on the subject and they always point to a catch can being the best defense against intake valve deposits on a DI engine.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
@MacGeek or @Crosshairs do you have any diagrams of the pcv system?
Diagrams for both engines would be appreciated. I know this topic is not as sexy as a new exhaust or as exciting as a stereo or infotainment upgrade but this is a real life honest to god issue that all long term owners will be forced to deal with at some time. I thought I had read somewhere that Alfa considered adding a port injector to 2020 models much like the hybrid systems employed by other manufacturers. It doesn’t sound like it made it into the new mys but maybe next year. We definitely need a fix.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here’s the 2.9 diagram from the technical training manual.

That last line on the page is interesting. It seems vapor only goes to the left bank. So it’s only a problem for half the engine!..... interesting design. I’m sure it has to do with the right bank deactivating frequently.

I really don’t know shit.... but perhaps a good location could be between the connecting pipe (3) and the inlet pipe (4). If someone with some real know how wants to sell me a can for my QV engine I’d happily insert it where ever they told me to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I am pretty sure the Euro 6d engines from mid 2018 onwards on the QF have port injectors as confirmed by @MacGeek IIRC. I am not sure if this made it to the US but I would think for the simplicity of common manufacturing and assembly they would have the same across markets.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oil catch can is of more use for diesel engines as blow-by pressure is higher and oil gets more easily into vapour. With oil catch can you get less of that black junk build-up in intake manifold which is just oil vapour mixed with gases from EGR.
On petrol engines there is not much use for it as original oil separator does the work just fine. And if you getting a lot of oil on petrol then first thing to do is to replace worn out oil separator.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I really don’t know shit.... but perhaps a good location could be between the connecting pipe (3) and the inlet pipe (4). If someone with some real know how wants to sell me a can for my QV engine I’d happily insert it where ever they told me to do so.
Thats right where you would want it so that the oil falls out of suspension before its routed back into the intake

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Diagrams for both engines would be appreciated. I know this topic is not as sexy as a new exhaust or as exciting as a stereo or infotainment upgrade but this is a real life honest to god issue that all long term owners will be forced to deal with at some time. I thought I had read somewhere that Alfa considered adding a port injector to 2020 models much like the hybrid systems employed by other manufacturers. It doesn’t sound like it made it into the new mys but maybe next year. We definitely need a fix.
According to @MacGeek Alfa added port injectors to the Euro6d 2.9V6 engines in Europe only from about mid 2018. I do not believe these were ever intended for the NAFTA market.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts