Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I was originally in the market for a M3 Comp Pack and actually narrowed down my search to 2 vehicles before my friend told me to look into the Giulia QV again. I have seen videos and read about the car, and thought it was great but the reliability stigma kept me from pursuing the vehicle and I actually forgot about it's existence until my friend brought it up to me again. Fast forward 5 days and I have a deposit on a Montecarlo Blue I'm suppose to be picking up (hopefully) by the end of the week. I have already arranged the car to be partially clear bra'd in the fenders and full on the hood and bumpers prior to me taking delivery. I have already bought a front license plate mount but I'm still deciding on which wheels I should go with. As I've read and I'm sure that many people have gone through this dilemma the Tecnicos are lighter, stronger, and more expensive whereas the 5 hole are just so sexy and attractive. I'm torn, and undecided.

Anyways, I'm happy to be part of the community here and I look forward to contributing and being part of the community. I have a short comparison written in the QV forums between the M3 and the Quadrifoglio if anyone is interested. I'll be sure to post some pics when I take delivery of her.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will find plenty of good info here plus you can always ask questions. Where in Ohio are you?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
@;
Greetings all.

I was originally in the market for a M3 Comp Pack and actually narrowed down my search to 2 vehicles before my friend told me to look into the Giulia QV again. I have seen videos and read about the car, and thought it was great but the reliability stigma kept me from pursuing the vehicle and I actually forgot about it's existence until my friend brought it up to me again. Fast forward 5 days and I have a deposit on a Montecarlo Blue I'm suppose to be picking up (hopefully) by the end of the week. I have already arranged the car to be partially clear bra'd in the fenders and full on the hood and bumpers prior to me taking delivery. I have already bought a front license plate mount but I'm still deciding on which wheels I should go with. As I've read and I'm sure that many people have gone through this dilemma the Tecnicos are lighter, stronger, and more expensive whereas the 5 hole are just so sexy and attractive. I'm torn, and undecided.

Anyways, I'm happy to be part of the community here and I look forward to contributing and being part of the community. I have a short comparison written in the QV forums between the M3 and the Quadrifoglio if anyone is interested. I'll be sure to post some pics when I take delivery of her.
Okay. I know I am going to be admonished for this but. Our sticker showed that we were getting dark 5 hole. Well the dealer handed over those 5 hole to someone that had tecnico to make the sale apparently. I almost didn't take the QV over this. I priced them in the aftermarket because I was certain to want to swipe our Tecnico out for the 5 hole. My concern was because once you select CCM with your QV on the Build site you can't order dark Tecnico only 5 hole. No rhyme or reason but I was stuck on why not because hey CCM's are an $8k upgrade so you want to make sure you have the right combo. Long story short, AR said the setup was fine. They just stopped making the combo. Sounds odd, i thought so but oh well.

Fast forward now several months and trips to the dealership. I am going to say I really like the tecnico . They have this little bit of finesse that the 5 holes don't. The QV screams Alfa so do I need 5 hole? We had them ceramic coated and they look very classy. So every Alfa I see in the showroom is 5 hole. The only cars right now that can get a Dark Tecnico is the QV. So that is something unique to the QV. So it is personal taste. My husband laughed because I was 5 hole or die and I looked at him the other day and said you know something......I am glad we got the Tecnico. We get a lot of complements on them.

I would say that the 5 hole looks sporty but wouldn't call them sexy. I see commercials with both. Now if you want to look like most Alfa's out there,,,get 5 hole. I guess the Tecnico have sort of grown on me and they probably have a more aggressive look if that is what they want to call it.

Go with your gut and don't worry what all of us say. We aren't driving it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Northeast Ohio, and I work in Cleveland.

I think I'm in the same boat as you Minime...it doesn't help that all the press cars are 5 holes as well lol. And yes, the dealers are quite open to switching wheels, as my car comes with the Tecnicos but they said they would be willing to switch to the 5 hole which I have said yes to. With that being said knowing what I know about the 2 wheels I'm 2nd guessing myself and thinking I may just stick with my "original" wheels, the Tecnicos.

Another idea I was thinking was getting the 5 hole and buying the HRE P101's, or possibly sticking with the Tecnicos and buying the 5 holes as they're cheaper...I'm torn. I kind of want to get another set of wheels for winter as it will be my daily and I'd hate for my wheels to constantly be messed with during the process of changing tires.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm in Northeast Ohio, and I work in Cleveland.

I think I'm in the same boat as you Minime...it doesn't help that all the press cars are 5 holes as well lol. And yes, the dealers are quite open to switching wheels, as my car comes with the Tecnicos but they said they would be willing to switch to the 5 hole which I have said yes to. With that being said knowing what I know about the 2 wheels I'm 2nd guessing myself and thinking I may just stick with my "original" wheels, the Tecnicos.

Another idea I was thinking was getting the 5 hole and buying the HRE P101's, or possibly sticking with the Tecnicos and buying the 5 holes as they're cheaper...I'm torn. I kind of want to get another set of wheels for winter as it will be my daily and I'd hate for my wheels to constantly be messed with during the process of changing tires.
I would get the more expensive set from the dealer. I don't think you will have much luck in the aftermarket and you can ask the dealer the price per wheel replacement on the Tecnico. But ask parts not the sales guys.

If you are getting one set then get the ones you want. HRE are not cheap either. You could probably sell the Tecnico on the forum. Some of us may need a spare:laugh:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Q4 Ti and live in the Cleveland area. I never installed a front license plate because I didn't like what it would do to the looks. I have not had a single problem with the police in 8000 miles of Ohio driving, or in the surrounding states.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Keep the Tecnico, IMO.

I started out loving the 5 Hole, but the Tecnico have grown on me. That plus knowing they're forged aluminum and ~5 lbs lighter per corner than the 5 Hole is in keeping with the performance mission of the QV.

I'll probably end up getting a set of 5 Hole for my winter tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have one and am in NEO. I would never ruin it wit a front license plate. I'd hold off on that one. I too have never had any issues with police or anything. Other than that, you're going to love it.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome and congrats on the QV! Do I suspect some track action as what you were looking at and what you got? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Q4 Ti and live in the Cleveland area. I never installed a front license plate because I didn't like what it would do to the looks. I have not had a single problem with the police in 8000 miles of Ohio driving, or in the surrounding states.
That's good to know, thanks for the info, though I already ordered the bracket. I'll keep the bracket and plate in the car in case I do run into issues.

Yea, I've pretty much decided I'll keep the Tecnicos and I'll figure out the rest later.

I've looked at the regional forums, and it seems Ohio is pretty quiet in regards to Alfa owners/events. Anything going on you guys know of?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Nice to see you now on the darkside. I promise everyone is a lot friendlier here than over on the M3 Forum. Wishing you much good luck with your Quadrifoglio.

Regarding wheels, I did not like the Tecnicos at all, but that was prior to learning about being forged, lighter, and more expensive, yet offered for the same price. Might grab a pair for my Winter tires just to have both looks. Think I still prefer the 5 hole better though being a classic Alfa design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.