Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
No question you are traction limited. You barely pulled .6g off the line. When you getting drag slicks ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
For next season i will put 255 and better tyres.

Wysłane z mojego HD1913 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 2018
47 Posts
Thanks @bhvrdr for posting this! It’s a bit embarrassing I didn’t complete the run properly, but I didn’t have the volume on in the car and didn’t hear Dragy call-outs, so I was running by feel, and let up a little early.

Also, for the record, I was running a partial AFE intake, i.e. just the box and filter, mated to the stock intake elbow. I also might have had my GoPedal on in Sport mode, although I’m not at all sure that makes any difference to brake-boosted, WOT runs like this.
Hi
@chaadster do you remember from which rpm level you did brake-boost start? Are you using manual or automatic mode, dynamic or race mode?
I have also q4 but with Stage1 of Celtic tuning and for me I can feel that around 3k rpm is max. My tires are not helping too (225/45/R18 GY Asymmetric 3). Tried to beat my personal best 4.86s on 0-60mph but it's difficult. I thought that maybe recently added sprint filter would help as air flow rate increased from 250g/s to 288g/s, but not feeling that really on drag racing.

DA around 2700ft in my case is also small blocker I believe. Weight of my car is around 1750kg (I weighed my bella few days ago including cargo and 95% of fuel in tank)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,646 Posts
Hi
@chaadster do you remember from which rpm level you did brake-boost start? Are you using manual or automatic mode, dynamic or race mode?
I have also q4 but with Stage1 of Celtic tuning and for me I can feel that around 3k rpm is max. My tires are not helping too (225/45/R18 GY Asymmetric 3). Tried to beat my personal best 4.86s on 0-60mph but it's difficult. I thought that maybe recently added sprint filter would help as air flow rate increased from 250g/s to 288g/s, but not feeling that really on drag racing.

DA around 2700ft in my case is also small blocker I believe. Weight of my car is around 1750kg (I weighed my bella few days ago including cargo and 95% of fuel in tank)
Hey @Tomson ,
I don’t recall exact launch RPM, but I think I shoot for 2.5k usually. I’m pretty sure I’ve not gotten to 3k, anyway. I’ve not done it enough to have a well-developed understanding of what engine speed is best for brake-boosted launches, and have just stuck with recommendations I picked up here from others. Also, I’m usually trying to squeeze in runs under less-than-ideal conditions, so I’m rushing and paying more attention to my surroundings than the car.

I don’t know much about the tire issue, but don’t feel like the P7 Cinturato A/S RFTs have been a limiting factor for me. I don’t feel wheelspin, and my fastest time was set in my previous Giulia running 225s all-‘round as opposed to my current car with the wider 255 P7s. My current car does not have all the same mods, so it’s not a perfect comparison, but it does suggest there is more grip in the 225 x 4 format than you’re seeing.

DA is a bigger factor than tires, IMO. I pulled a 4.3sec 0-60mph at a negative 2.5k ft DA in a car that consistently pulled 4.5secs on the same road with considerably less air density. So is DA worth .2secs? More? I don’t know the answer— again, I’m not scrupulous about the details— but it sure seems awfully easy to me to swing fractions of a second which, in terms of measurement, is a pretty small chunk of time, but makes the overall number sound a lot different.

I don’t know my current vehicle weight, but I have previously posted a weigh station slip of my previous Ti Sport Q4 at 1696.43kg. My current Ti Sport Q4 almost certainly adds weight from the Performance Package option, and also probably the wider rear wheels and Leather Package, so yeah, just north of 1.7K kg for fully optioned Q4 with a tank of gas sounds right on.

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 2018
47 Posts
Hey @Tomson ,
I don’t recall exact launch RPM, but I think I shoot for 2.5k usually. I’m pretty sure I’ve not gotten to 3k, anyway. I’ve not done it enough to have a well-developed understanding of what engine speed is best for brake-boosted launches, and have just stuck with recommendations I picked up here from others. Also, I’m usually trying to squeeze in runs under less-than-ideal conditions, so I’m rushing and paying more attention to my surroundings than the car.

I don’t know much about the tire issue, but don’t feel like the P7 Cinturato A/S RFTs have been a limiting factor for me. I don’t feel wheelspin, and my fastest time was set in my previous Giulia running 225s all-‘round as opposed to my current car with the wider 255 P7s. My current car does not have all the same mods, so it’s not a perfect comparison, but it does suggest there is more grip in the 225 x 4 format than you’re seeing.

DA is a bigger factor than tires, IMO. I pulled a 4.3sec 0-60mph at a negative 2.5k ft DA in a car that consistently pulled 4.5secs on the same road with considerably less air density. So is DA worth .2secs? More? I don’t know the answer— again, I’m not scrupulous about the details— but it sure seems awfully easy to me to swing fractions of a second which, in terms of measurement, is a pretty small chunk of time, but makes the overall number sound a lot different.

I don’t know my current vehicle weight, but I have previously posted a weigh station slip of my previous Ti Sport Q4 at 1696.43kg. My current Ti Sport Q4 almost certainly adds weight from the Performance Package option, and also probably the wider rear wheels and Leather Package, so yeah, just north of 1.7K kg for fully optioned Q4 with a tank of gas sounds right on.
Thanks for info and one more thing manual mode or automatic and dynamic or majority attempts was on race mode?? I'm wondering if that can have some impact on results. Automatic on dynamic is shifting gears on lower revs around 5,500rpm, race mode bit higher,but which one is more effective not sure.

I dont want to make thesis here on that topic :) but it could be nice to know what is the most efficient

·
Super Moderator
2,862 Posts
Thanks for info and one more thing manual mode or automatic and dynamic or majority attempts was on race mode?? I'm wondering if that can have some impact on results. Automatic on dynamic is shifting gears on lower revs around 5,500rpm, race mode bit higher,but which one is more effective not sure.

I dont want to make thesis here on that topic :) but it could be nice to know what is the most efficient
More revs, especially with a tune, will not net you better results. I had plugged in the numbers to a shift point calculator. I used the supposed power our cars make with an EC P1 tune at the various RPM points the calc used. Of course using our gear ratios, wheel diameter, etc. IIRC it said to shift at about 5100, 5400, 5400 ,5400 etc. for quickest times.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,646 Posts
Good points @JeFizz , and to @Tomson ’s questions, I’m always in automatic and Dynamic, and most often with a Madness GoPedal+ in Sport mode. Again, I don’t understand how a GoPedal+ would make any difference to a wide-open throttle run with a brake-boosted launch, so I mention it only as a possible factor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On my opinion the best changing gear is at max HP.

Wysłane z mojego HD1913 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Going from 2500 DA to a negative 600-700 can be as much as .4 difference. In times. More in longer runs. My 40-100 keeps dropping as the DA drops. 5.7 when it was 2500DA. 5.5 at 1400 DA. I will get some 60-130 and 1/4 mile times when I get an open road. Even at 2am to many cars

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
updated. nice runs boys. Here's to waiting for better weather.

Any folks out there with old dragy slips of different tunes or piggy backs too? Dont be shy. They dont have to be records.

Mike

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 2018
47 Posts
updated. nice runs boys. Here's to waiting for better weather.

Any folks out there with old dragy slips of different tunes or piggy backs too? Dont be shy. They dont have to be records.

Mike
I'm waiting for good weather in Poland, too ;) . I added recently sprint filter to see if it can help a bit to complement my celtic tuning stage1, will post something soon.
So far 1/8 mile time slightly improved in one run to 8.48s
Screenshot_20200804-100251_dragy.jpg

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 2018
47 Posts
My 0-60 time from yesterday evening. Improved thanks to starting in dynamic from around 2500rpm, it was raining a bit, so I think in better road conditions it could be even better
Screenshot_20200804-230050_dragy.jpg

Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,646 Posts
My 0-60 time from yesterday evening. Improved thanks to starting in dynamic from around 2500rpm, it was raining a bit, so I think in better road conditions it could be even better
View attachment 101625
There you go! Nice!

Running in Dynamic is essential to maximize performance, just as brake-boosted starts are for good 0-60 runs.

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 2018
47 Posts
There you go! Nice!

Running in Dynamic is essential to maximize performance, just as brake-boosted starts are for good 0-60 runs.

Exactly, thanks buddy for advice ;) btw when I tried to launch from higher range 2800-3000rpm then time was worse for around 0.2s, so I believe optimum for my car and maybe tires is indeed circa 2500rpm

Reactions: chaadster
101 - 120 of 138 Posts