Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
My Giulia had break-in few weeks ago and I have been struggling with getting the door window glasses replaced since 3 weeks(windows for 3 door). No glass shop is able to procure the parts. Safelite was the original glass shop but they kep pushing the ETA every few days. The current shop is going through the Alfa Romeo dealer but the dealer has not been providing an ETA. The current estimate is unknown/February.
Does anyone know how and where to get OEM parts for Giulia and if there is any other solution? Premium Care is also looking into it but they don't have an ETA as yet.

I am just disappointed that Alfa Romeo can't deliver basic parts for over 3 weeks now. I would appreciate suggestions/tips on how to get this resolved. I looked up online and couldn't find any site that could provide even after market glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am in SF Bay Area so that would be far. I tried of couple of local shops but all them are redirecting to order via the dealer so not much help either...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Does your car have the hard to break acoustic (laminated) glass?

Now adays most cars have curved glass even on the side windows, so that flat glass cannot be simply cut to shape like it was "in the old days".

Can't they put some windows on an airplane and air freight them to SJC, OAK or SFO for $100 or so? You might have to pay the freight fee, but it should yield a fast fix. If a Belgian Chocolatier in Sunnyvale can figure it out, it should be doable for car parts. IIRC, she has deliveries to OAK and has an arrangement with the shipping company to literally stand under the plane and have the packages handed to her. OTOH, $50/pound chocolate (15 years ago) requires special handling.

Maybe tap plastics could make you some temporary acrylic windows for you? They can heat bend many plastics, but how to give them a spec for the bend? Probably more expensive and more time than the air shipping from Italy though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you've ever tried to source Toyota OE windshield it is around $1000+. They got me an aftermarket one for maybe 1/5 that. Even my cousin's auto glass shop got me one without the electronic defroster grid at the bottom.... Worth a call, maybe they can ship a temporary solution to you while you wait for that special Italian glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your car have the hard to break acoustic (laminated) glass?

Now adays most cars have curved glass even on the side windows, so that flat glass cannot be simply cut to shape like it was "in the old days".
I have whatever is factory installed without any specific upgrades.

Can't they put some windows on an airplane and air freight them to SJC, OAK or SFO for $100 or so? You might have to pay the freight fee, but it should yield a fast fix. If a Belgian Chocolatier in Sunnyvale can figure it out, it should be doable for car parts. IIRC, she has deliveries to OAK and has an arrangement with the shipping company to literally stand under the plane and have the packages handed to her. OTOH, $50/pound chocolate (15 years ago) requires special handling.

Maybe tap plastics could make you some temporary acrylic windows for you? They can heat bend many plastics, but how to give them a spec for the bend? Probably more expensive and more time than the air shipping from Italy though.
The last update from dealer said they received the partial order but rest of the order has ETA of sometime in February. So it seems like AR doesn't have that much spare. Hopefully premium care can assist with parts from some other dealers or expedite the process

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've ever tried to source Toyota OE windshield it is around $1000+. They got me an aftermarket one for maybe 1/5 that. Even my cousin's auto glass shop got me one without the electronic defroster grid at the bottom.... Worth a call, maybe they can ship a temporary solution to you while you wait for that special Italian glass.
Yea, I have been reaching to local shops but haven't had much luck with after market parts for Giulia.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
I have whatever is factory installed without any specific upgrades.

The last update from dealer said they received the partial order but rest of the order has ETA of sometime in February. So it seems like AR doesn't have that much spare. Hopefully premium care can assist with parts from some other dealers or expedite the process
The acoustic glass is part of some-or-other package. I was interested to know if it provides any theft deterrence. The regular glass can be shattered with a spring loaded prick punch.

If they don't have any glass in Italy I guess you are out of luck. That just does not seem reasonable given that they are building the cars on a production line there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Alfa has the glass. They're just not being proactive in helping this customer. They could expedite the process but they've chosen to prioritize keeping the assembly line going vs. providing service parts to get this customer back into his own car. I understand they can't possibly stock multiples of every single service part that might be needed all the time. But it shouldn't take more than a few days to get any part for a Giulia. For it to take several weeks to get window glass is pure malfeasance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heard back from AR Premium Care and they have expedited the parts but that only means I will get it next week. So, while safelite couldn't get an ETA at all after 15 days, dealer+AR Premium Care have managed to provide an ETA of Feb 1 which will pretty much be 31 days since I reported the incident.
Since this is my first premium European car, I am not sure if this is the norm with others European brands. If one is selling 800+ cars on average every month, it is safe to expect some spares been available within the country and not have to be imported from Italy.
In the meanwhile AR Premium Care has been really responsive and nice. Based on my previous experience with them, I think they have upped their game quite a bit.

Hopefully AR and dealers figure out a better way to service customers because the current protocols seem to be inefficient and not worthy of a premium brand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
as a fellow bay area owner, i'm glad this is on its way to being resolved.

i had to replace the windshield on my cayman, and while porsche is a larger brand, the cayman is a low volume seller. safelite was still able to get the parts within a few days. granted they had to replace 3 times to finally get the seal correct, but that's an entirely different issue.

lets hope the availability of parts improves as time passes.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
In my experience, door glass and side glass is much harder to find than windshields.
Couple that with the Giulia being a relatively new model, Alfa a relatively small manufacturer with a known sub-par infrastructure...
You might have found used glass faster from a salvage yard. There are currently 4 Giulias on Copart. Two with flood damage.
Or, perhaps if there was a fire and a total loss, you would have had your check by now and a replacement Giulia...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts