Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa has a HUGE problem. Its dealer network is awful. The dealer I go to has ZERO clue about the whopping 2 vehicles it sells. Contrast this to a BMW, or Jag dealer, and its night and day. If Alfa fails in the US, it will be in large part because of this. I know I'm not the only one who has either know-nothing dealers and/or dealers who say ridiculous things, so I'll share some of my stories and hope to hear yours:

(1) When negotiating the price of the car, I wanted a discount because Alfa does not include maintenance (beyond the 10K oil change), and at 30K miles it needs spark plugs. The salesperson nearly laughed at me when I mentioned the spark plugs (what, no way, no car needs that before 100K). Then he had to check w/ the service guy and call me back. But did he bother to check how much the service was, nope. And even now, I only have a vague idea of how much it will be.

(2) The black ice warning light is not going on when my car goes below 37 degrees. I contact the dealer. He states, and I quote, "the black ice warning is only on the Italy version." I'm not sure if he really thinks this, or is lying. Either way, not good. If it's only on the "Italy" version, then why is it in the US manual, and why do others on this forum report having it?? (see below)

(3) Touchpad. When I picked up the car I asked about the touchpad feature. I was told it had the "gesture-control" type features listed in the manual. Dealers reply, and I quote "there is no tough (sic) pad just the tab on the dial." Really? Because it too is mentioned in the manual, and I was told it had this when I got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am afraid it is a sign of the times. I was looking to replace my X5 last summer and went to a BMW dealership and looked at new Range Rovers at two dealerships. Sales people knew very little about the cars and would not get back to me and I was ready to buy immediately. Looked at used BMWs at two other BMW dealers and same issues.

So I bought two Alfas instead. Tried to take over an X5 lease but BMW was so slow I backed out after they went way beyond the time periods I was getting. BMW stopped transferring the free maintenance on sales and lease takeovers a few years ago also.

I was so frustrated with dealers that I did not replace the X5 until mid November when I took over the X5 lease I tried to take over starting late July.

I guess they are selling enough cars with people just showing up and buying.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ryan,
Your Alfa was passionately engineered, and marketed through an Italian company. She is best appreciated as through the lens of a lover. Intrigued, excited, thrilled, disappointed, and then forgiving.
Having said that, the support network could be better.
But, as with most everything else retail these days, the face-to-face service just sucks.
My advice, get the answers to your question here, on the forum.
Develop a relationship (donuts, $ tips, hookers) with the service technicians and the parts counter.
In the end, just DRIVE IT !!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
My issues are well known on this forum, but one answer that stood out on one of my problems was that the steering wheel temp is connected to the outside temperature. The problem is that my steering wheel overheats at times, and the dealer stated that it is normal. Thing is, at some times I can barely touch it...lol

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Among the worst things a dealer can say is "they all do that" and "we're doing our best".

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hard to compare a relative start-up like Alfa to long-standing brands with a good dealer network, although I agree the dealership experiences have been fairly bad so far, they are getting better all the time. Don’t forget that this is a huge cost to the dealership and things won’t be perfect overnight, but the cars are very good overall (personal experience) and FCA is working with the dealers to improve.
We hear that a lot though, even from the Jeep/Ram/Dodge side of our dealership, the salespeople can’t keep up with the technology and appear to not really care..........

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine doesn’t have a black ice warning light. And I’m fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My issues are well known on this forum, but one answer that stood out on one of my problems was that the steering wheel temp is connected to the outside temperature. The problem is that my steering wheel overheats at times, and the dealer stated that it is normal. Thing is, at some times I can barely touch it...lol
Your steering wheel overheats?!?! I've never heard of this? Like when the wheel heater is on, or other times also. That's wild. The excuse from the dealer is also classic.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine doesn’t have a black ice warning light. And I’m fine with it.

Yours has it, it's just not coming on for some reason. Do you happen to live in a place with no winter!! :)

The "Italy only" version excuse the sales-side of the dealership gave me is ridiculous, given that the temp is listed in Fahrenheit in the manual, and it's in the US manual. I think they don't want to setup a service appointment, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The owners manual does not call it a Black Ice Warning, it only refers to an indicator that will illuminate in the center dash whenever the temperature falls below 37 degrees F. The name of the indicator in the owners manual is "POSSIBLE ICE ON ROAD". I have no idea if it works in my car or not, but I don't really need it anyway. The driver should be smart enough to keep an eye on the displayed temperature to assess whether or not ice might be possible.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Your steering wheel overheats?!?! I've never heard of this? Like when the wheel heater is on, or other times also. That's wild. The excuse from the dealer is also classic.
Yep, when the the steering wheel heat is on....

·
Registered
82 Posts
The owners manual does not call it a Black Ice Warning, it only refers to an indicator that will illuminate in the center dash whenever the temperature falls below 37 degrees F.
Modern Audis do this with a snowflake icon at 42°F; the notion is that bridges may freeze at that temperature, long before road surfaces do...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The owners manual does not call it a Black Ice Warning, it only refers to an indicator that will illuminate in the center dash whenever the temperature falls below 37 degrees F. The name of the indicator in the owners manual is "POSSIBLE ICE ON ROAD". I have no idea if it works in my car or not, but I don't really need it anyway. The driver should be smart enough to keep an eye on the displayed temperature to assess whether or not ice might be possible.
Every vehicle from the cheapest Kia onward has this. That's great that you don't find it useful. But if you live in an area where the temperature fluctuates it is helpful to have a "chime" that indicates that the road may have a "black ice" condition. I don't care what the manual calls it, that's the reason for it. Not only that, the vehicle has it, and I don't appreciate being lied to by the dealer. And it's not just bridges that have black-ice. The pavement is colder than the air, the snow "melts" on the pavement, and freezes (when the temp is above 32). This creates black ice.

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/black-ice-formed

https://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/black-ice2.htm

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
had this since 2008 - and the chimes and warning light had me really worried the first time I encountered it, as I had no idea what was wrong with the car.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Still haven't seen that indicator illuminate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Me too. No black ice indicator for me.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
Me too. No black ice indicator for me.
Maybe it is on the nav screen, next to the nearly impossible to read and often wrong speed limit indicator?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yours has it, it's just not coming on for some reason. Do you happen to live in a place with no winter!! :)

The "Italy only" version excuse the sales-side of the dealership gave me is ridiculous, given that the temp is listed in Fahrenheit in the manual, and it's in the US manual. I think they don't want to setup a service appointment, for whatever reason.

Ha ha, I wish. No, we’ve had plenty of below freezing days, and I’ve never seen that light on my dashboard. I really don’t want to see another “idiot light” but that makes me wonder if something is wrong.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha ha, I wish. No, we’ve had plenty of below freezing days, and I’ve never seen that light on my dashboard. I really don’t want to see another “idiot light” but that makes me wonder if something is wrong.

I have an appointment next Monday to see what's up with the temperature light and whether it means anything else is wrong. I'm also going to ask about the touchpad because that's been mentioned on the forum and the dealer said it had it, although then said it didn't. I've also had the intermittent auto-start stop disabled light come on. (not that I care about that one!).

I'll post whatever the dealer finds. I'm thinking something from the temp gauge is not talking to the warning light, but what else is not talking to its respective warning light!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts