Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a stop with your wipers on high does your brake pedal move/pulse with the movement of the wipers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven't personally experienced this, but I know the wipers are linked to the brakes; in dry conditions the pads are retracted from the rotors for efficiency. In the wet, the pads are left in contact with the rotors to keep them clear of water.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've experienced this quirk. The explanation I got from service manager at my dealer was the "proximity of the wiper motor" to the brake pedal controller. It doesn't really bother me all that much any more.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I haven't personally experienced this, but I know the wipers are linked to the brakes; in dry conditions the pads are retracted from the rotors for efficiency. In the wet, the pads are left in contact with the rotors to keep them clear of water.
I have read here that when it is raining, the electronic control unit (ECU), that controls the brakes, gets information from the rain sensor on the windshield and information from the wiper switch, and pulses the brake calipers to keep the rotors clear of water build-up. Other cars do this as well.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
At a stop with your wipers on high does your brake pedal move/pulse with the movement of the wipers?
My dealer mentioned this to me once. But since it never rains here, I'll probably never get the chance to ... play with it ... disappointing on my part really.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This is consequence of brake by wire system....you are not pressing on a brake cylinder but rather on an electronic pedal which creates the feel of backpressure....inductive current changes of windshield wiper motor are obviously creating current peaks which you can feel as increased backpressure on brake pedal......it is consistent witj fact that you can mostly feel that while standing still not while modulating brakes while driving....it annoys me too but it is really harmless side effect of technology

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This is consequence of brake by wire system....you are not pressing on a brake cylinder but rather on an electronic pedal which creates the feel of backpressure....inductive current changes of windshield wiper motor are obviously creating current peaks which you can feel as increased backpressure on brake pedal......it is consistent witj fact that you can mostly feel that while standing still not while modulating brakes while driving....it annoys me too but it is really harmless side effect of technology
Good point!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts