Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to getting close to my Giulia so searching up on internet for a scanner and app with it.

My requirements are:
1) I want to hook up with smart phone (android or ios) or pad but not laptop (windows).
2) Prefer wifi connection or wired (BT too far a range lead to security concern).
3) See as much of data as possible in clear and nice display format.
4) Must not to drain the battery when car not in use.

Come across many choices and narrow down to a short list:
1) Bluedriver - sounds like most comprehensive in terms of functions and support. Advanced and made in USA.
2) Foseal - 1/5 of cost of Bluedrive and also WiFi connection.
3) BAFX

Any suggestions, experience to share will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
My Findings and ODB II

I want to getting close to my Giulia so searching up on internet for a scanner and app with it.

My requirements are:
1) I want to hook up with smart phone (android or ios) or pad but not laptop (windows).
2) Prefer wifi connection or wired (BT too far a range lead to security concern).
3) See as much of data as possible in clear and nice display format.
4) Must not to drain the battery when car not in use.

Come across many choices and narrow down to a short list:
1) Bluedriver - sounds like most comprehensive in terms of functions and support. Advanced and made in USA.
2) Foseal - 1/5 of cost of Bluedrive and also WiFi connection.
3) BAFX

Any suggestions, experience to share will be greatly appreciated.
For mobile use, I’m a big fan of ODB Fusion ... here’s my thread on this:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/385586-post12.html

Cheers,

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Blutooth distance limits security issues

BTW WiFi has greater range on most adapters than BT, and it provides an “open access point” without any ecryption in most implementations. So for a fact, your ODB II port is more open with the WiFi I saw than with the VeePeak BT adapter, which has a 20m (typical max) and usual 10m distance limitation.

My BT association on this product binds my ODB Fusion instance to the adapter, once it is has paired. A 2nd binding would require a fairly sophisticated hack to this cheap BT dongle.

Best security is to remove it when you don’t need it. On Giulia it immediately goes into low-power mode on Ignition off, and closes down within 60 seconds afterward.

Hope this helps,

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
630 Posts
+1 on consider cyber security implications first and foremost. Anyone connected to the device can send disruptive, potentially damaging and even dangerous commands to your car.

I’m satisfied with my PLX Devices Kiwi3. It works well with both Android and iOS, has auto sleep function for low power consumption, etc. I also use Dash Command and OBD Fusion, with the slight edge going to OBD Fusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts