·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There still seems to be quite a few '17' Giulia left on dealer's lots here in the Northeast.
cars.com shows 1978 available nationwide.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes for the younger guys or new hobbyists, there will be some great buys to get started on. I would equate it with my situation when I bought my Miata. Wanted the appearance package but didn't know enough to do more. Learned I would have wanted a Mazdaspeed version but couldn't afford it 17 years ago. After all my work and parts, I was sure I wanted a built performance model this time around. 2 years without going to F1 in Montreal and São Paulo to save up, some other investment maneuvers and pulled the trigger in June. Still waiting for the Quad to show up :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
John... travel points = travel :D Probably won't cover your box seats at the F1 though ;)

I need to go to the F1 in Montreal one of these days..

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
to get started on?
I don't see what is on the lots as "for younger guys or new hobbyists", I don't even know what that means.
They are nice cars,maybe not an individuals personal preference on color or options at every lot, but still plenty nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With a target of 150,000 Alfas in 2018, these numbers can not please Sergio. Assume the year ends with 11,000 sales...the cost to re-introduce the brand in the US has been astronomical. Assume that the Super Bowl ads, at rack price of $5m per 30 seconds, set FCA back at least $20M. Then the spill over electronic and print spending...I would not be surprised to see advertising approach, or exceed $40M for the year. On a per unit basis, that is $3,600 per unit. If the average AR sells for $50K - advertising represents over 7% of the selling price. Numbers like these are not sustainable. When the supply chain costs of building and getting the cars to market are factored - AR is a huge drain for FCA. The question is how long will FCA sustain the brand? FCA has to pivot to profit somehow....doing what they were doing is not going to do it. Deep discounting may move cars...but does nothing for profits.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I suspect that by December there will be almost no 2017 cars left with the deep discounts going on right now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
having cars on the road may be more cost effective than their ad campaign.
totally agree with this. one of the main issues with AR is the lack of awareness among the population so having cars driving around would help tremendously.
I also think that lots of people are holding back because of concerns with reliability. If AR shows that the reliability is there, I expect much better sales. but it will take time, at least 12-24 months

·
Registered
440 Posts
having cars on the road may be more cost effective than their ad campaign.
I agree. But one thing that is still a bit shocking to me is our nearest AR dealer is part of a Ferrari / Maserati dealership.

There is NO signage whatsoever for AR. You'd drive buy and not even know they sold AR.

To help with all this money spent on TV ads, you'd think they would make sure the AR logo is EVERYWHERE.

Nope.

·
Registered
554 Posts
With a target of 150,000 Alfas in 2018, these numbers can not please Sergio. Assume the year ends with 11,000 sales...the cost to re-introduce the brand in the US has been astronomical. Assume that the Super Bowl ads, at rack price of $5m per 30 seconds, set FCA back at least $20M. Then the spill over electronic and print spending...I would not be surprised to see advertising approach, or exceed $40M for the year. On a per unit basis, that is $3,600 per unit. If the average AR sells for $50K - advertising represents over 7% of the selling price. Numbers like these are not sustainable. When the supply chain costs of building and getting the cars to market are factored - AR is a huge drain for FCA. The question is how long will FCA sustain the brand? FCA has to pivot to profit somehow....doing what they were doing is not going to do it. Deep discounting may move cars...but does nothing for profits.
In February 2017 http://www.autonews.com/article/201...will-share-platforms-with-maserati-dodge-jeep

"Alfa's relaunch has probably cost the automaker "in excess" of 2.5 billion euros ($2.7 billion) so far, Marchionne said. FCA said in 2014 that it would invest 5 billion euros in relaunching Alfa through 2018, though it later moved the timeframe to 2020."

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree. But one thing that is still a bit shocking to me is our nearest AR dealer is part of a Ferrari / Maserati dealership.

There is NO signage whatsoever for AR. You'd drive buy and not even know they sold AR.

To help with all this money spent on TV ads, you'd think they would make sure the AR logo is EVERYWHERE.

Nope.
Agree 100%

Nothing better than brand awareness. You got to splash it all over.,,,like Coke, MacDonalds, etc

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts

Nope.
I'd think signage would be a requirement of having a franchise. Foolish not to have, I agree. Perhaps local regulations are an issue?

I hope the dealer doesn't think displaying "Alfa Romeo" would in any way bring the other brands down.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tend to agree with most comments here and it seems like there just isn't enough awareness out there. I've owned my car for almost 7 months now and have seen only two other Giulia's in the area. Yes, there has been lots of money spend on the relaunch, but I would expect some type of business plan accounted for a period of time where payback would be reasonable. I truly think the Stelvio is key since that type of vehicle has been the preference of consumers over the past few years.

Didn't AR sponsor the halftime shows for the World Series? I thought they did and at least that's some "awareness" (of course...at more cost).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There should be a fair amount of free advertising soon, as they just opened up Stelvio Quadrifoglio orders in Europe, so press cars can be expected shortly.

my review, based on the Italian configurator, and not speaking Italian, is that the color selection is good, but the interiors seem to only have a choice of stitching colors, and does not include ice door panels with green stitching etc, let alone luxury leather with wood trim.

so in that respect I'm disappointed, but perhaps by the time US orders are open it will be expanded.
I sure hope so because aside from my preferences, it would be an easier sell to the wife if she loved the interior.
chicks don't dig CF or aluminum (except perhaps la Maria Conti (whose name stands out to me because of Ducati Conti pipes, I know there is another lady involved)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba-I3MQgdwu/?taken-by=lamariaconti

anyways, it's a Pointer Sister song for me now

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may be in the minority, but I'm perfectly happy not to have Alfas everywhere like MBs and BMWs. Feels a little more exclusive and unique.
Yes, but if you're planning on keeping your car for a while, it would be nice to have parts and service available. If they don't sell enough, they will eventually pull out again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, but if you're planning on keeping your car for a while, it would be nice to have parts and service available. If they don't sell enough, they will eventually pull out again.
I agree but I also think the FCA link keeps the supply chain more accessible as opposed to if Alfa was independent.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts