2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
And here I thought OCD was obsessive compulsive disorder

Reactions: Richo8657

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,497 Posts
I don’t agree with your position here but +1 for bubbles.
All I'm saying is that I see people pay way too much money for cosmetic items, so I don't see purchasing an adjustable UCA as a stretch. Yes, I do get the fact that less people out there care about the handling ability of their car compared to how it looks, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market. If it's a part offered globally, I think you'd be surprised, especially when more and more come out of warranty.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,497 Posts
How did this go do far without knowing the front suspension of AWD Giulia's is not the same as RWD Giulias
I knew there were differences, just not sure about the details. @Crosshairs sent me a parts list for the front suspension components, but I don't know the various codes used to identify engine, trans, etc. so I have no idea what it what. lol

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,749 Posts
I had no idea Giulias handled so poorly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How did this go do far without knowing the front suspension of AWD Giulia's is not the same as RWD Giulias
Hello Alpha,

I cordially guide you to this from the original post:

"One possible reason for perceived steering/handling issues, to quote: "Alfa likely reduced the Giulia trail and scrub radius so as to reduce torque steer in the 4WD models. Unfortunately, the makes the RWD QV steering efforts too low.” Therefore, the Giulia front suspension was likely engineered to also be used in 4WD cars and Stelvio SUV for efficiency /cost savings and therein is compromised."

Please note words "possible" and "likely". Nowhere is it claimed that that the suspension components are exactly the same.

It is normal common practice in the industry to share components and engineering across platforms and product lines.

Regards,

TC

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hello Alpha,

I cordially guide you to this from the original post:

"One possible reason for perceived steering/handling issues, to quote: "Alfa likely reduced the Giulia trail and scrub radius so as to reduce torque steer in the 4WD models. Unfortunately, the makes the RWD QV steering efforts too low.” Therefore, the Giulia front suspension was likely engineered to also be used in 4WD cars and Stelvio SUV for efficiency /cost savings and therein is compromised."

Please note words "possible" and "likely". Nowhere is it claimed that that the suspension components are exactly the same.

It is normal common practice in the industry to share components and engineering across platforms and product lines.

Regards,

TC

Yes, I read that. The entire project was launched off of a bad assumption. Best of luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Yes, I read that. The entire project was launched off of a bad assumption. Best of luck
Hey Alpha,

We are all on the same team here!

The project was NOT launched on any assumption.

It was launched based on the desire to cure darty handling with low feel that demands constant correction. And increase safety.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Thank You,

TC

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,749 Posts
The project was NOT launched on any assumption.

It was launched based on the desire to cure darty handling with low feel that demands constant correction. And increase safety.

Josh
Nothing to do with steering? While Giulia is lauded for having one of the best electric power steering systems, perhaps there’s a limit to how good their feel can be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Nothing to do with steering? While Giulia is lauded for having one of the best electric power steering systems, perhaps there’s a limit to how good their feel can be.
Hello Chip, true, electric steering has it's limits. QV not bad for around town.

Per post, we are trying to improve upon the package for performance driving and track.

Try a Porsche with it's electric steering - remarkable what they have been able to achieve. But beware, you may be tempted to buy one!

Regards,

TC

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,497 Posts
I would agree but it does have poor camber from the factory which eats through front tires. This is especially true when tracking the QV.
Absolutely this. My -1.7 FL and -2.0 FR camber definitely helps, but even that isn't enough to really equalize wear / temps across the tread.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,497 Posts

·
Vendor
3,538 Posts
With the GMS kit, I should be able to easily get -2.0 in the front with up to -3.0 possible.
It will.

Street (about -1°30' of negative camber on OEM 2017 springs): 1x M10 mm washer + 1x 8mm alu shim + 1x 4mm shim are to be placed between each bolt of the mounting tab of the bushing. Rest of the shims (8mm stacked) are to be placed under each bushing to chassis mounting tab. This will add minimal negative camber at front wheels.

Track (about -2°00' of negative camber on OEM 2017 springs): 1x M10 mm washer + 1x 4mm quick adjustment shim are to be placed between each bolt of the mounting tab of the bushing. Rest of the shims (16mm stacked) are to be placed under each bushing to chassis mounting tab. This will add moderate negative camber at front wheels.

Race (about -3°00' of negative camber on OEM 2017 springs) : 1x M10 mm washer is to be placed between each bolt of the mounting tab of the bushing. Rest of the shims (20mm stacked) are to be placed under each bushing to chassis mounting tab. This will add maximal negative camber at front wheels.

Lowering will be more aggressive with camber. With race setup up to -3˚30' (this has already been in action).

*Cars with ST springs or similar, shall use 4mm less shims for same result. Prototype car was equipped with ST springs, therefore 16mm stack of shims was enough to get over -3°00' of negative camber. Now we've added additional 4mm of shims to the package (total stack of 20mm shims vs. initial 16mm shims) to get also users with standard springs now being able to get up to -3°00' of camber.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts