Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently became an Alfa Romeo Owner and so far I have encountered the following:

1) Dual Zone climate control is not working properly. The temperature between the left and right zones even though the temperature dial are synced could be off by as much as 15 degrees sometimes and it happens sporadically. if I turn the knob to say 72 and its synced, the left side will be blowing noticeably hotter air than the right side (passenger side) the issue goes away if i turn down the temperature dial to say 64 or lower. I dont know if its a sensor or software issue. Again its sporadic and often times it works normal.

2) I got an error message for the Start/Stop system indicating that I should take my car in for service. What I noticed was that my hood was slightly raised on one side (I had a a clear bra installed and they opened the hood and apparently did not close it right). The issue appeared after the installation of the clear bra was done. I properly closed the hood and the issue went away. What's strange is that i did not have any notification that the hood was not closed properly on the dash. When I popped the hood by pulling on the lever on the inside of the car, I then got the notification that the hood was open. Apparently there is a connection with the hood and the automatic stop/star. I am continuing to monitor the issue to see if it appears again.

However, how annoying is the stop/start system huh? its highly intrusive and the a/c stops working when its activated. The restart is very noticeable as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I recently became an Alfa Romeo Owner and so far I have encountered the following:

1) Dual Zone climate control is not working properly. The temperature between the left and right zones even though the temperature dial are synced could be off by as much as 15 degrees sometimes and it happens sporadically. if I turn the knob to say 72 and its synced, the left side will be blowing noticeably hotter air than the right side (passenger side) the issue goes away if i turn down the temperature dial to say 64 or lower. I dont know if its a sensor or software issue. Again its sporadic and often times it works normal.

2) I got an error message for the Start/Stop system indicating that I should take my car in for service. What I noticed was that my hood was slightly raised on one side (I had a a clear bra installed and they opened the hood and apparently did not close it right). The issue appeared after the installation of the clear bra was done. I properly closed the hood and the issue went away. What's strange is that i did not have any notification that the hood was not closed properly on the dash. When I popped the hood by pulling on the lever on the inside of the car, I then got the notification that the hood was open. Apparently there is a connection with the hood and the automatic stop/star. I am continuing to monitor the issue to see if it appears again.

However, how annoying is the stop/start system huh? its highly intrusive and the a/c stops working when its activated. The restart is very noticeable as well.
the start stop issues have been discussed several times on this board, perhaps a moderator can start an FAQ so people don't keep posting the issues over and over again.

Take the car back to the dealer and have the flash updates done and it will be fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed...if you have problems use the search function. But perhaps the real issue here is "Why did the car leave the dealership without the latest updates?"

Alfa knew there were updates needed and identified them, so why didn't the dealer check before it was delivered? Since we keep seeing the same issues reported, this points to service and process problems at the dealership level.

The customer shouldn't have to "Take the car back to the dealer and have the flash updates done and it will be fine." That's inconvenient and time-consuming. It should have been delivered with either the latest updates installed or it should have been made clear that an update was needed and service scheduled.

We don't buy cars every day, so we may not know what to look for at delivery. But they sell cars every day, and it's becoming clear that the Giulia was well engineered, seems to be well built, but is having some teething problems.

After reading these forums, it seems as if neither the distribution, parts and accessories, nor the after sales service & maintenance were ready for prime time. Let's hope they get these things right, because that will make or break the brand going forward.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Explain please???

Paul
The following updates were done:
RRT 17-020 Powertrain Improvements 18-19-17-9R 0.60 ECM, ECM2 & TCM were all updated.
RRT 17-022 Remote Start....................18-19-02-CB 0.20
Battery Compartment Cover Replaced

Here are the software/flash/updates that are needed for the Giulia....and thats ALL Giulia's according to the service guys at Miller Motors...and yes they have their **** together in the service dept for certain:grin2:

the last thing was a physical issue...people had AMPS burning out because of water that seeped into the compartment.when cars were being washed under pressure..according to Miller that & some silicone was the fix....and Yes I did test it (while keeping my fingers crossed:D)

SO if you have not had those update done...you will continue to have issues...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

So the dreaded Stall following re-fueling top-off happened to me today. I am almost 800 miles and i think this is my third refueling. Turned on the car and put the car on drive. Moved about 7 feet and the car felt like it was going to shut off. The moment this happened I recalled this forum, reading the stalling complaints. Then I exit the gas station, on to the street and the moment i slow down due to afternoon rush hour, the car stalls and dies. Error message on the screen indicating failure and to restart the car (or something to this fact) I then turned the car on again and drove home without further incident! I just cannot believe this is happening!!! I have a service call to my dealer to fix the A/C issue and i will now bring this up to their attention as well. I am just waiting for them to have a loaner available so I can come by and drop it off.

It sucks because I no longer felt confident that my car will drive me home safely!! Its crazy to think like this off a car that has less than 800 miles in the odometer!!!!!!!!!!!!! cost me almost 50k after all fees and taxes! WFT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
this is the unfortunate side to first run cars...especially cars that have a completely NEW platform and were not developed from something to give you a baseline ie E90 3 series to F30 3 Series....

had a 2013 328xi (wife's car) it was an UNMITIGATED MESS!....even the dealer said was shaking his head....
by mid-year they had solved quite a bit...by the next model year they were like 2 different cars from that perspective.
I am NOT implying that one should just accept these things...not in the least..your hard cash went to buy the car...what i am saying is that you need patience and get yourself to a quality dealer who sells Alfa/Maser....NOT Dodge/Kia and the like....
sometimes the price of being the first kid on the block with a new toy is painful at times....
and I speak from experience with my Quad.
G/L
M

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that is one of the problems. There are no Alfa Romeo Maserati dealers anywhere close.
Lucky for me, my authorized dealer, the prestigious "The Collection" of Coral Gables, FL is 2 miles from my house. I reckon, i will become very familiar with the dealership. Thankfully, the dealership is known for their customer service so I am not worried.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lucky for me, my authorized dealer, the prestigious "The Collection" of Coral Gables, FL is 2 miles from my house. I reckon, i will become very familiar with the dealership. Thankfully, the dealership is known for their customer service so I am not worried.
Fortunate.

I have four dealers in the area. Two are 70 miles away. The other two are the same company that just bought out the previous owner who was forced to sell them. I have heard that this is well run organization. My limited experience with them was not impressive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car has finally been dropped off for service. I received a Q5 2.0T loaner in the mean time. Feels like I am driving a whale but the transmission is very smooth. The Giulia is receiving the ECM update to fix the issue with the engine stalling immediately after fuel top-off and also to fix the A/C issue. The service tech will also install all available updates. Crossing my figures these gremlins are killed.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I picked up a beautiful Stromboli Gray AWD Ti Lusso on Saturday. While stopped at a red light on my way home that evening, the car began emitting the loud warning beep that is emits when parking or approaching too close to another vehicle. There was nobody in front of me at the time. That night, and the next day, the car has now begun beeping endlessly - when driving, when parked, when moving or not moving. Going through the ATM drive-thru pretty much sent the car into complete cardiac arrest. It is maddening. I am pretty sure it is an issue with the Parksense, but it could also be the frontal collision avoidance system, since it did occur while I was driving (even though not in any type of situation in which the system should have engaged.)
I'm pretty disgusted about it, and hoping it can be quickly rectified bc the car is almost undrivable at this point. I will disengage both systems, but both systems re-set themselves when you restart the car, so that is obviously just a short term Band-Aid fix.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I picked up a beautiful Stromboli Gray AWD Ti Lusso on Saturday. While stopped at a red light on my way home that evening, the car began emitting the loud warning beep that is emits when parking or approaching too close to another vehicle. There was nobody in front of me at the time. That night, and the next day, the car has now begun beeping endlessly - when driving, when parked, when moving or not moving. Going through the ATM drive-thru pretty much sent the car into complete cardiac arrest. It is maddening. I am pretty sure it is an issue with the Parksense, but it could also be the frontal collision avoidance system, since it did occur while I was driving (even though not in any type of situation in which the system should have engaged.)
I'm pretty disgusted about it, and hoping it can be quickly rectified bc the car is almost undrivable at this point. I will disengage both systems, but both systems re-set themselves when you restart the car, so that is obviously just a short term Band-Aid fix.
This may sound stupid to you at first sight but wash the car thoroughly....mine had all kinds of beeping and horning going on after some nasty splatter on front section.....i cleaned it but it still did it, then I washed it and boom it works like advertised since then....there might be some kind of film residue on sensors that trips them....

But, as we say with italian motorcycles, it's italian-you have to learn how to enjoy the mystery lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turn it off then back on to see if it clears it (the switch is on top of the auto restart feature switch). Also check for debris around the sensors.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
This may sound stupid to you at first sight but wash the car thoroughly....mine had all kinds of beeping and horning going on after some nasty splatter on front section.....i cleaned it but it still did it, then I washed it and boom it works like advertised since then....there might be some kind of film residue on sensors that trips them....
Wait until winter and see what snow and ice do to it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wait until winter and see what snow and ice do to it.
Argh....I'm not looking forward to that nonsense. Oh well, just gotta wipe'em off every chance I get.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts