Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new QV for two days now, and here are the things that need to be addressed by Alfa Romeo:

1.) The braking system is difficult to modulate when coming to a complete stop. The transmission seems to stay in gear and will continue to send power to the wheels even though at the same time the driver is pushing on the brakes. Achieving a full stop becomes a balancing act between the transmission and the brakes, which is made worse if a downshift occurs during the braking process. When a downshift occurs the brake pressure being applied will require an immediate adjustment to avoid hitting the car in front. This can be solved by programming the computer to recognize the point at which the transmission should be completely disengaged until a full stop has been achieved. This problem can be solved with a software update.

2.) The initial throttle response when accelerating from idle is very sluggish, and once the initial sluggishness has passed the power will come on too strong. This can be solved with a software update.

3.) The infotainment system only has a single row of six preset channels that can be accessed by pulling the big control wheel toward the back of the car. Why only six? There is also a favorites list that can contain a large number of presets, but the quick access list only has 6 choices. This can be solved by allowing the driver to cycle through several groups of six channels with repeated pulls on the control wheel. And the number of available groups could be determined by how many entries are present in the favorites list. For example, if the favorites list has 16 entries, then repeated pulls would cycle through 3 groups of 6, where the last group would only have 4 choices. This problem is easily solvable with a software update.

4.) The center display that displays information such as MPG etc. needs to be modified to make the identifiers brighter. The actual data that is being displayed is easily legible, but the identifiers next to the data (i.e. “MPG”, “MPH”, etc.) are almost illegible. The entire screen can be programmed to display just about anything, so this problem should be easily solved with a software update.

5.) It would be nice if the auto start/stop system defaulted to “off”. The feature is definitely useful in certain situations such as in drive-thru lanes or stop and go traffic, but it is very annoying that the system defaults to ‘ON’ each time the engine is started.

6.) It would also be nice if the 6-speed transmission was available in the U.S. The automatic transmission provides excellent shifts and performance, but it will never provide the same driving experience that a manual transmission can provide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1.) The braking system is difficult to modulate when coming to a complete stop. The transmission seems to stay in gear and will continue to send power to the wheels even though at the same time the driver is pushing on the brakes. Achieving a full stop becomes a balancing act between the transmission and the brakes, which is made worse if a downshift occurs during the braking process. When a downshift occurs the brake pressure being applied will require an immediate adjustment to avoid hitting the car in front. This can be solved by programming the computer to recognize the point at which the transmission should be completely disengaged until a full stop has been achieved. This problem can be solved with a software update.
Agreed, after millions of miles with traditional brakes, brake-by-wire is very weird. I find it is possible to do very smooth chauffeur stops in this car, but it took me a lot of getting used to and practise. I don't think cutting power would help, you can simulate this by pulling both paddles to put the car into neutral - it is no easier to stop with or without power. I've done 1500 miles now, some days I'm rather beginning to like the braking system.

The biggest dislike I have is the hazards coming on under moderate braking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, after millions of miles with traditional brakes, brake-by-wire is very weird. I find it is possible to do very smooth chauffeur stops in this car, but it took me a lot of getting used to and practise. I don't think cutting power would help, you can simulate this by pulling both paddles to put the car into neutral - it is no easier to stop with or without power. Some days I'm rather beginning to like the braking system.

The biggest dislike I have is the hazards coming on under moderate braking.
You might be right that the problem is not due to a tug of war between the transmission and the brakes before coming to a complete stop. I'll try the double paddle pull to prove to myself that it doesn't help. Being brutally honest about it, these brakes really suck for anyone planning to use this car as a daily driver.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The article at the link below provides an excellent explanation for the brake behavior at low speeds:

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/127060/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-first-drive-review/

Here is the key paragraph:

"But the brake-by-wire system has the same downside as brake-by-wire hybrids and EVs: at low speeds, like when you’re pulling up to a stop, the pedal suddenly feels vague, making it tough to accurately judge how much force you need below, say, 15 mph. It’s a small thing to which most drivers will adapt after the first few days of driving."

·
Registered
196 Posts
You might be right that the problem is not due to a tug of war between the transmission and the brakes before coming to a complete stop. I'll try the double paddle pull to prove to myself that it doesn't help. Being brutally honest about it, these brakes really suck for anyone planning to use this car as a daily driver.
pulling both paddles does not put the car in neutral

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Apparently this is a ROW feature that is not enabled on US cars.
Awe crap, for a minute there thought there was more Ferrari DNA in this car than was being let on. My salesman told me both paddles doesn't work even though we didn't test drive a Ti sport. Both paddles comes from Ferrari F1 robotic manual with clutch. But there is neutral on the center console stick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The US is "legalized" into oblivion so we don't always get what the rest of the world gets.

Some USA over regulation facts...

1 - 32.8 cents of every dollar spent in aviation goes to liability costs (INSANE!!!!!!)

2 - 31.5 cents of every dollar spent on Health Care goes to liability costs (INSANE!!!!!!)
---> about 22 cents goes to pay Insurance Industry admin costs (INSANE!!!!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Item #5 - I could not agree MORE! Set that darn stop/start system defaulted to OFF for crying out load!!!

I have a darn checklist of items I have to set before setting my Giulia in "D" and driving off...LOL!
(I need to find a fuse for that darn stop/start system and pull it!!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts