Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like recommendations on a good OBD2 tool that would let me read and clear codes plus any other ability to set parameters, if possible, on my Giulia Ti Q4. If possible, a IOS-based tool that works with my iPad/iPhone7 would also be nice.

Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
There are 2 types basically.

The least expensive is a scan tool which allows codes to be read/re-set. With the ELM wireless Bluetooth module and the "Torque" app on your phone, It is possible to retrieve basic codes

The more expensive option is a bidirectional scan tool that allows the user to trigger different operating parameters such as turning on and off evap solenoids, fuel pump trigger, and drilling down into secondary modules such as the ABS system. These are $$$. ~$1K to get started.

I'm all ears if anyone has found a bidirectional unit (outside of WiTec) that is appropriate for the latest Alfa Marelli electronics?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
WOW!! This is light years ahead of my old school Peake code reader I used to use on the M cars...LOL
I just felt very very old...thanks Gents!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you are using any OBD2 readers for race data make sure you spend the few extra dollars and get one that does proper high speed bluetooth. I wish we have access to the FIAT witech/Wipod or knew what to buy. Id buy it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I use a ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor plugged into OBD bought off Amazon for about $20 and Torque Pro app for a spare Android phone used for this purpose. Has read and reset codes very well. Also performs datalogging and send file on excel. Useful for plotting and tuning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool is a car repair DIY’er best friend. It is packed with so many features that will make you feel like a professional mechanic. It is designed to enable you to check the cause of the dreaded “Check Engine” warning light on any car, light truck or SUV that was made after 1996. Check Top 10 at here http://www.top10bestreports.com/best-obd2-scanners

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use a ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor plugged into OBD bought off Amazon for about $20 and Torque Pro app for a spare Android phone used for this purpose. Has read and reset codes very well. Also performs datalogging and send file on excel. Useful for plotting and tuning.
Are you able to read turbo boost pressure with this setup?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the Launch CReader 4001 . This automotive scanner supports reading and erasing DTCs, I/M Readiness Status. I'm using this for my Toyota prius Plug In 2014 and working fine. Its helps me to see live data stream, turning off Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and help me fix them quickly and efficiently,and it was easy to use and easy to understand.I think this is a must have for any car owners.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little followup on what I found — ODB II and mobile devices

So, it’s been some months since my original post, and I’d like to share what I’ve been using for about 4 months now.

Version 1.0

My first solution was via a $17 WiFi ODB II dongle (Panlong WiFi from Amazon) and (eventually) the ODB Fusion Application ($10 from AppleStore, since I’m using IOS). Although this worked nicely, the WiFi took my iPad/iPhone off line when the Giulia fired up, and required me to constantly watch out for my devices associating with the ODB dongle, when I didn’t want it to. My fix was to stow the dongle when I wasn’t using it, and only plug in when I needed to. Secondary porblem was with long term data logging, when the iPad went into sleep mode, it disconnected the WiFi and lost the data stream.

Version 2.0

After gifting my next-door neighbor’s son the WiFi dongle to debug his RICE buggy, I upgraded to the BlueTooth version of the dongle from Veepeek (ODBCheck BLE bluetooth 4.0 scanner, also from Amazon at $30) with the same ODB Fusion app. Had to upgrade to the 4.3 version of the software to get this new bluetooth 4.0 connection to work; but, work it did! Marvelously so. Greater range (50 feet), never looses connection with the IOS device. And multi-hour data logging without a glitch.

My objectives were met:

1) CEL code diagnostics and clearing, although I’ve only needed it once
2) Great data logging with Map overlay
3) Full engine metrics including boost, Mass Air Flow, O2 sensors, temp, RPM, instantaneous gas mileage, etc. to augment the Alfa console
4) 1/4 mile, 0-60, 0-100, and other performance logging. GPS waypointed details for many traces

What isn’t doable with this BLE/ODB Fusion setup:

a) Can’t upload new ECU code
b) Won’t set running parameters for much besides clearing CEL and reviewing codes
c) Has only Generic parameters for the Alfa Romeo Giulia, no specialty modules (yet)
d) Had to set performance/engine static values by hand, since the Alfa was not in the built-in database

For the $40 investment, I’m satisfied until I need to do more.

So for Version 3.0, I’m waiting for instructions on ECU programmers when EuroCompulsion releases their tune. Likely I’ll have to get a “real” ODB II tool, which I will follow their lead on. Chris at EC, give me the scoop, when you’ve selected your favorites.

Some screenshots follow,

Attachments

Reactions: Tyresian and ybba

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
But what is a good ECU Cable to use for this ?
Has anybody found a good cable to use with the multiecuscan?
Should I get one specifically specified for multiecuscan, like this one from the UK
or should I get a complete set of adatpers like this one?

or is a generic one like this ok to use?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ok I found a good Bluetooth adapter that actually works and can connect to the vehicle. You have to buy Multiecuscan to actually use it on the Giulia though so if you were looking to get it won't work. The bluetooth adapter I used was the
Other ELM327 devices were giving me difficulty and I would have to modify hardware it seems.

Keep in mind to use this device you need bluetooth on your laptop and a registered version of the Multiecuscan software.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just saw there is a new version of MultiEcuScan (MES) out, version 4.0 with a lot more giulia support :
http://www.multiecuscan.net/

25/02/2018 - Multiecuscan 4.0 Download
- Translation in Korean language (translated by L.S.S.)
- Added information for more ISO codes from 2015-2018 vehicles
- Added support for Stelvio
- Fixed PROXI problems on Giulia
- Added new PROXI configuration options for 500X, Renegade and Giulia
- Support for Bosch Motronic MP3.1/MP3.2 Injection (Alfa 145, Lancia Z)
- Support for Magneti Marelli IAW 10JA CF6/EOBD Injection (2.0) (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for Continental ABS MK C1 (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for ZF Electric Steering (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for TRW climate control (Automatic) (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for Marelli AlfaConnect Radio/Nav (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for Multimedia control module (multifunction knob/joystick/touchpad) (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for Parking control Bosch (Giulia, Stelvio)
- Support for Bosch Motronic MeD17.3.3 CF6/EOBD Injection (1750 TBi) (Giulietta)
- Support for Bosch Motronic Me17.3.0 CF6/EOBD Injection (1.4 16V LPG) (500X, Egea, Tipo)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
Can any of these systems reset the change oil indicator? Can any of them deal with brake servicing procedures like flushing or bleeding the hydraulics?

I am just trying to figure out if there is any advantage to paying for more than ELM327 + Torque app.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts