Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this Giulia buying saga took a complete left turn today, and I need help making a decision. So as of yesterday my order was D1, same as 3 weeks ago.

So this afternoon I did what I always do every Friday afternoon, I searched through dealers on the off chance that another Quad is out there in stock that I would like.

Today I find the *exact* spec I ordered on a lot!! Absolutely what I ordered, but up in NY. So I talk to the internet rep and he confirms the car is still available, no deposits, just arrived. He takes my name/number and of course, being Alfa Romeo, nobody has called me back yet. This is after I said I would take the first train up tomorrow, checkbook in hand, and buy this car. At this point I had no hesitation about this and made it super clear I will buy this car. And still no call, because Alfa.

Literally 5 min later, the dealer where I placed the order calls me. Remember yesterday he said the car was D1, with no schedule. Today he says the regional rep called and she's been working hard to track down a date for me and she found my car and it's in Baltimore. WTF???!!! I went straight from D1 to Baltimore??

But it gets better, the car is in Baltimore WITHOUT BRAKES (I hope he means just the rotors). They are waiting on the brakes. And the car has no VIN (which of course can't be true, but there is no VIN in the system).

So would you just go up to NY tomorrow and buy that car? I would feel bad for the original dealer if he actually has escalated this to FCA and if they actually did ship the car without brakes to expedite things and minimize delivery time. Also, I would have to get my deposit back and all that hassle.

The risk is that nobody from NY has actually called me. I could get there tomorrow after a 4 hour train trip and long uber ride and find out the car is already sold, or it's actually a purple Fiat 500L or any other number of random BS things from this random unorganized company that doesn't know its ass from its ear.

OR do I stick with the original dealer? The risk is that the car doesn't actually exist. Or it sits there waiting for "brakes" for months. Or I find out tomorrow that it's actually in Zimbabwe. "Oh, did we say Baltimore? Oh, we meant Zimbabwe."

·
Registered
47 Posts
The last thing I would do is feel bad for the dealer. They'll sell your ordered car.
I would go up to NY and buy a REAL car, rather than continue to play the waiting games. This depends, of course, on whether or not you can get you order deposit back.
I'm in the final stages of completing a QV purchase halfway across the country. I've learned that you can't just sit and wait for a call-back. Call them back and push the issue.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would call and ask to talk to the general manager for the Alfa dealer in NY.
Have them write you up a contract and send it to you along the window sticker plus pics of the car for confirmation.
Give them a deposit
Go pick the car up.

Easy! Good luck!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would call and ask to talk to the general manager for the Alfa dealer in NY.
Have them write you up a contract and send it to you along the window sticker plus pics of the car for confirmation.
Give them a deposit
Go pick the car up.

Easy! Good luck!
I'll help you. Let me call them and find out the real story. I might even help you by getting on the train to NY tomorrow and checking it out for you. And I'll even buy it for you. And I'll drive it back for you. And hopefully I won't fall in in love with it while driving because if that happens... I might not stop at your place! >:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
BTW I know for a fact that the are a few Qs unsold on the lots of dealers on the Easter Seaboard going for MSRP. The $5K over is total BS. What Burg is report is a confirmation of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would go get the NY car, and then request my deposit back - assuming it's $1k.. Obviously if lots larger than that you may want to resolve that first... Maybe firm it up with NY dealer and put a deposit on it.. I wouldn't feel bad for the dealer - I mean you were most likely paying MSRP.. If your local dealer balks at the deposit refund I'd escalate to Alfa regional... Just think - you could be driving a Quad by this Sunday!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the MSRP, the NY dealer made no attempt to charge me anything extra. Sales order shows MSRP and normal fees only.

They have another Quad coming in right behind this one. They weren't expecting this one it seems, so it may even the car I originally ordered for all I know. The build month is March, which is what I was originally promised.

This car does not have the driver assist package. Isn't that unusual for such a highly optioned car (87k)? I ordered mine without driver assist.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
On the MSRP, the NY dealer made no attempt to charge me anything extra. Sales order shows MSRP and normal fees only.

They have another Quad coming in right behind this one. They weren't expecting this one it seems, so it may even the car I originally ordered for all I know. The build month is March, which is what I was originally promised.

This car does not have the driver assist package. Isn't that unusual for such a highly optioned car (87k)? I ordered mine without driver assist.
Did you call the general manager yet? If this is your dream car and it is in NY, buy it and ask the questions later.......:wink2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you call the general manager yet? If this is your dream car and it is in NY, buy it and ask the questions later.......:wink2:
yeah, sales contract in hand ready to sign. You guys will think I'm totally weird, but I have a crazy thing about shaking hands on a deal and going through with it. Makes no sense, but that's the only remaining hang up. I'll get over that in approx 6 minutes I bet.

NY dealer also sent me proof of correct options, pictures, all that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
yeah, sales contract in hand ready to sign. You guys will think I'm totally weird, but I have a crazy thing about shaking hands on a deal and going through with it. Makes no sense, but that's the only remaining hang up. I'll get over that in approx 6 minutes I bet.

NY dealer also sent me proof of correct options, pictures, all that.
So..... is this a done deal? No pressure..... we are all pulling for you!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Effectively, yes. I just need to get up there tomorrow.

Crazy that my Giulia will be here before the 911! That's a crazy twist. I am beside myself excited.
CONGRATS!

Now you own me a ride in the Q and the 991! :smile2:

BTW, please, please, please...... post pics as soon as you get it...... promise?

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's how business is done many times these days. It's less personal (no handshake), but it's more expedient. Good job, you can still shake their hands at the NY dealer, cue up James Brown "I Feel Good" on the ol' Harmon Kardon, and head for home. Drive (a) gently for 1000 mi, then (b) drive it like you stole it! Or skip (a)---you know what to do!>:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Effectively, yes. I just need to get up there tomorrow.

Crazy that my Giulia will be here before the 911! That's a crazy twist. I am beside myself excited.
See, the Italian way is actually far superior!! No need to sweat the small details like order tracking... in the end your bella showed up and beat your delivery expectations.. just like a fine Italian girl should - get your blood boiling and all sideways but in the end you're left shocked and amazed!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
......Drive (a) gently for 1000 mi, then (b) drive it like you stole it! Or skip (a)---you know what to do!>:)
B. Is the proper way..... unless you want a slow Q......:smile2:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like you have corresponded a lot with NY. If you have any doubts, wire the deposit ahead if you haven't already.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cannot wait to get some pics and feedback. Tomorrow will be a good day! How are you you from NY?
I'm near DC, and the dealer is actually about 60 miles east of LaGuardia. About a 5 hours drive back, mostly in heavy rain unfortunately. But just means I get to wash the Giulia for the first time Sunday first thing. :)

Congrats! Sounds like you have corresponded a lot with NY. If you have any doubts, wire the deposit ahead if you haven't already.

Good luck! :D
Made the deposit earlier this evening. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now you own me a ride in the Q and the 991! :smile2:

BTW, please, please, please...... post pics as soon as you get it...... promise?
Oh, of course, the first break in the rain I'll pull over at a rest stop.

The only issue is I don't yet have a confirmed flight into LGA. May have to do train, which mean I'll need the salesperson to stay late. We'll figure it out. She sent me a couple pics tonight to keep me warm until tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts