Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Flyby here. I've joined the Guila forum in order to learn from actual Alfa Romeo Giulia owners. I am assuming that misery does not (indeed) love company, and that I've sat myself squarely into an enthusiast forum full with owners who love the marque and also expect exceptional value for their money. I wish to become one among you, and so welcome and look forward to your ownership reports. Currently I drive a 2013 VW Golf R. As with most AWD cars, it has the kiss of understeer, and with it's Hladex system, is basically an FWD at heart. I am intrigued by the Giulia's AWD system which in it's basic form routes most of it's drive powere to the rear wheels, engaging the front wheels only when the rears begin to slip. If that's the case, I am very interested in this version! Please tel all.
thank you,
Flyby out

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi Flyby.

I haven't driven an all wheel drive Giulia yet, but I suspect it's quite different from your VW. The all wheel drive VWs and Audis are essentially front wheel drive cars with all wheel drive added in.

The Giulia is different. It's a rear wheel drive car with an all wheel drive system added in, so it's overall characteristics are that of a rear driver.

As a side note, I like Ohio! I am sitting in a hotel in Cinci right now.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Welcome!

There is definitely a different feel to the lastest Alfa Romeo sedans compared to the German contingents. I think the most obvious (aside from aesthetics and interior details) is the on-center and the exact steering feel of the new Alfa's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Eric, and Greg,
Thank you both for your replies. Greg, welcome to Cincinnati, and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Did you drive into town with your new Alfa?
Eric, You just hit on a key point for me in my search for a sedan to replace my R; the precise steering. A short story: before owning the R I owned the 2002 Subaru WRX, a fine car in most respects. I kept it for 12 years (bought new in 01). It had a 16:1 steering rack which made for monkey-motion, a term used at the time to describe it's imprecise steering. One day, about a year into my ownership, I happened to test-drive an EVO-8 (?). I was immediately wowed by it's superior steering versus the REX. I soon learned of a Canadian parts company that made custom racks for the car, to be used in rallying. It had an 11.5:1 ratio, and I had it installed on my REX. That steering feel became the main reason I kept the car for so long. It was a joy to drive even in very mundane traffic. Now, my R is a better car in almost every way, but nothing can be done to improve it's steering. It's the one concession I gave up in buying it... along with the the REX being a bit more tail happy after I installed an SB kit.

Where I'm at now is I want more comfort than the short wheel base of the R allows. Also, the wife never embraced a manual tranny, so long hauls either have me doing all the dirving (in my car) or sharing the load in her car (05 Lexus ES-330; nice but amazingly boring). Audis have Quattro understeer, BMW, well, too civilized now, Lexus !S series: too much weight to power in my price range. But the Alfa pushes most of the right button, and in it's rear-wheel biased AWD configuration.

Now the fly in the ointment. Is there one? I mean I've read of press-test Giulias not starting, of remote-start issues too (which caused CEs). So with the Alfa dealership being 23 miles from my door, I'd love the Gulia to require only routine maintenance. For reference, my R has been solidly reliable in the 44 months I've owned it so far (fingers crossed). My nearest VW dealer is three miles away, though I didn't buy the car from there.

So, you see, I'm very interested in the misses as well as the hits for the car, and for the owners' dealership experiences. Alfa's trying to reestablish itself ere, and build quality has been a key weakness for the marque, as I understand it. I'm the primary driver and I require a sense of security for any car that I may need to save my heathen life through superior performance (handling, steering, and braking) plus a comfy ride to soothe my savage soul.

with that, lay it on me, Giulia owners! I trust you'll keep it real. I'm thinking the Ti in AWD configuration, but any input about the Giulia will be appreciated.
thank you all,
Flyby out

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)

I don't own a Giulia, yet. So I don't have any experience, yet. Like you I'm reading the different threads.

I did have the opportunity to test drive a Quad. Nice. Only went around the block though.

I put about ten miles on a Giulia Ti. Both me and my wife fell in love and special ordered a Ti. For us, this will probably be a low mileage garage queen (looking for soap now). Her DD is a Fiat 500C and my DD is a 4C. We're have no intention of changing our DD's.

Have you driven a Giulia yet?
What options would you prefer and refuse?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hellooooooooo Racer Z! Cool name:cool: Near-coincidentally, I own Racerdt (Racer_dt).
I'd love to own a 4C, but it's not really for me at this point in my life. Need a bit of comfort, and some storage space for luggage.

As for which Giulia I'd get, a test drive might help sort out that decision. As Greg may have noticed, our fair Cincinnati streets have their fair share of pot holes; I've already had two rims repaired on the R, which has 18" wheels. I can't imagine the 19s would be more comfy around here, nor less prone to damage. I've not visited the local dealership yet, but soon.

As for how I might option the car, I've visited Alfa's home page, and looked at the various options, done some checking off to see the pricing but nothing is cut in stone. I don't think I could swing the QV, and I believe I'd prefer the RWD version if only because the wife has an FWD, we're retired, and don't have to go out in bad weather; just wait for the roads to be cleared, and I'm back up to speed! ;) I fantasize about taking the road less traveled in a car that will enhance that experience. If not the Guilia, what sedan? So far, this Italian beauty is singing a siren song, but beneath it all, I'm left-lobe dominant. :) Ha! Even as I say that, the last four cars I've owned were subject to power mods. A 280 hp turbo engine is a lure too. :D (yes, I would try to resist that).

To you I say good fortune and fun driving. I suppose you'll be posting your new baby. To all I wish the same sentiment. Me? Will my next car be of Italian heritage? Will the wife go along with a four-leaf clover? we shall see. Might need to spend a few weekends collecting aluminum at the exit ramps!>:)
Flyby out

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hey Flyby...

My dedicated track car is a 240z and nobody seems to use this handle, so I've got it on all the forums I visit. What is this DT that you race?

We're retired as well. Kids moved out and the 4C works for my daily needs. I do have an old work truck if I need to haul something larger than.. oh... a loaf of bread. LMAO

My wife has family in Akron, which isn't too far from Cincinnati. This summer we're driving (the 4C) to Buffalo for her 50th High School reunion. We might stop off in Akron for a few hours just to say hi. If things work out, time wise, I'd be happy to meet with you and give you a joy ride in my 4C. Beware that this sort of thing is addictive and you'll soon become a new 4C owner.

I will definitely be posting info about our new Ti when it arrives. I've already got a start on that here: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/313-dealers-purchasing-ordering/4298-special-order-giulia-ti.html

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi Flyby,
I just joined myself and I have been to our dealer here just outside Boston. Also read up and seen many videos. It seems the headlight washers, rims and by-wire throttles may be the first issues cropping up. I have been driving an F1 transmission on my 360 since last summer. The technology has been improved since 1990 when it first came out. Don't let that aspect (no manual) turn you off. You need to drive them like a manual and keep the slip point adjusted on the robotic clutch. Might go for a test drive in the next couple weeks but I am long to about a year or 2 to be in a position to buy one. For the rims, keep your tires inflated and go slow in pothole areas. My dd Miata on a race suspension is hard but staying at or just below speed limit works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi Racer_Z. You've actually done in life what my old moniker never could accomplish; own and campaign a track car. I'd certainly modified a few cars for power and handling, but life seemed to get in the way (prioritizing of limited funds, etc). So that dream never panned out for me. But it did help me develop an affection for small, and well-handling cars like your Z. The _DT is simply the initials of the "Racer" But I developed a liking for turbocharged cars, and took on another moniker: "Turbo_dt" (88 Mr2 [supercharged, actually], 91 MR2 turbo, 2002 WRX, and now '13 Golf R). But now I want a bit more comfort, so the Giulia was pushing a lot of the right buttons, but I'm watching the car closely here on the forums. You will be not too far from Mid-Ohio Raceway, a very technical track, as I understand it. Maybe you'll have a chance to subdue it with your 4C if you have the time? I'm afraid several joints of mine force me to decline your generous offer. :( But I am over the Moon that you offered! :D

Hi John_K. Thanks for the tips. One thing I learned was to keep the recommended tire pressure (41 psi on all corners). That sure seemed to help as it's been a few years since damaged rims. But I'm falling out of love with the stiff suspension. The newer Rs have adjustable suspensions, but I still want something with a longer wheelbase or maybe an Audi S3 sedan with adjustable suspension. As I've said before, the Giulia draws me because of it's AWD with rear drive bias. Like you I'm a little way off from buying, bit soon enough, I'm sure (three months?). In that time I want to see how some cars, which I've read about here, come out. Electronic gremlins defying reflashing, water in the trunk shorting out some stereo amplifiers. I think of it as giving the cars and Alfa support time to "season". A pretty face with no substance is just another pretty face in a sea of pretty faces. I'm wanting the Giulia to be more than that.
Flyby out
PS this name is another one of those names for a guy who wished he coulda, never did, but now just flies combat simulations online. :) But what the heck, I'm still a drivin' sumbidge! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts