Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Ti Q4. I've been reading that the ZF transmission can do non-sequential downshifting. For example going straight from 7th to 3rd without hitting 6th, 5th, and 4th along the way. Does anyone know how to do that? And/or what circumstances it will be allowed to happen under? Or is that even something that the Ti Q4 can do?

I searched and couldn't find anything definitive. It'd be awesome if that were something it really could do.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 2017 Ti Q4. I've been reading that the ZF transmission can do non-sequential downshifting. For example going straight from 7th to 3rd without hitting 6th, 5th, and 4th along the way. Does anyone know how to do that? And/or what circumstances it will be allowed to happen under? Or is that even something that the Ti Q4 can do?

I searched and couldn't find anything definitive. It'd be awesome if that were something it really could do.
I have never been able to experience that in the car even with full throttle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
subscribed. interesting topic, let me add that coming from manuals all my life I am in love with ZF in manual + D.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
All the joys of a robotic manual F1 transmission without the hassle of clutch maintenance and replacement. :D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Are you sure you meant "low" gear?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
What I am referring to is low speed cruising in top gear, then full throttle. The transmission will downshift 2-3 gears, but always do it sequentially.
Have you tried holding the - paddle? That is in the manual. There might be a slight delay for the computer to differentiate a tap from a "hold".

The manual only describes two shift requests via the paddles: tap for 1 gear change and hold for maximum allowed gear change. Nothing inbetween, although it is not obvious what input would be appropriate to make such a request.

I dunno if anything is possible if you don't have the paddles. They really should not be optional.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What I am referring to is low speed cruising in top gear, then full throttle. The transmission will downshift 2-3 gears, but always do it sequentially.
What is it that makes you believe that the downshift is sequential? In auto (non-paddle) it feels like one multi-gear downshift to me when I floor it at low speeds. The ZF is not a dual-clutch transmission so there is no reason why it can't change more than one gear step at a time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This thread came to mind the other day while I was driving our QV, so I tried a couple times. Cruising along about 45mph in auto mode, D on the dna dial, briefly flipped the shift lever to manual mode so I could seee what gear it was in, then back to auto mode. I then floored the accelaerator pedal quickly, and the transmission dropped nearly instantly from 5th to 2nd, rear tires broke loose and off we went (flipped the shifter over right after it did its thing to see what gear it had chosen, although not hard to guess given how fast it took off).

Did it touch each gear as it shifted down? If it did, it was too fast for anyone to notice.

So I would say the answer to the oriiganl post is "yes, just step on the accelerator pedal quickly and fully."

Of course, this was in a 2018 QV, not 2017 Q4, so who knows what difference there might be...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread came to mind the other day while I was driving our QV, so I tried a couple times. Cruising along about 45mph in auto mode, D on the dna dial, briefly flipped the shift lever to manual mode so I could seee what gear it was in, then back to auto mode. I then floored the accelaerator pedal quickly, and the transmission dropped nearly instantly from 5th to 2nd, rear tires broke loose and off we went (flipped the shifter over right after it did its thing to see what gear it had chosen, although not hard to guess given how fast it took off).

Did it touch each gear as it shifted down? If it did, it was too fast for anyone to notice.

So I would say the answer to the oriiganl post is "yes, just step on the accelerator pedal quickly and fully."

Of course, this was in a 2018 QV, not 2017 Q4, so who knows what difference there might be...
Ya that's how it works for me too. I guess to clarify what I'm asking, can it do that in manual mode? Is there something I can do to make the car go from 6th to 3rd (or whatever) without having to hit the other gears along the way. If you're in manual mode and you floor it, past the click point, it still keeps the gear you're in. I need to pull the lever and sequentially go down to the gear I want. If it doesn't do that, it's fine. I just read the MT COTY article and mentioned the non-sequential downshifting. Also, reading about the ZF transmission on other sites mentions it too.

To me, that's one of the big things missing from the everyday driving experience of the auto/manual transmissions vs a true manual. That and the ability to launch the car on a whim without having to go through some dumb launch control procedure, which is useless for the everyday driver.

·
Registered
483 Posts
What is it that makes you believe that the downshift is sequential? In auto (non-paddle) it feels like one multi-gear downshift to me when I floor it at low speeds. The ZF is not a dual-clutch transmission so there is no reason why it can't change more than one gear step at a time.
That's how it feels to me. When I watch the tach the RPMs jump in steps, as if shifting. Very quickly, I will add. I'm not complaining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.